The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

I recently digitally restored many English Aznavour LPs. Made some discoveries, because much part of that material is still unreleased on CD!!!

p_SR-60741.jpg

The Time Is Now (1962, Mercury/USA, SR-60741)
You've Let Yourself Go; Two Guitars; You've Got To Learn; The Boss Is Dead; March of The Angels; The Comedians [version originale française]; The Time Is Now; The Travelin' Man (The Prodigal); Tomorrow Is My Turn; Like Strangers; Sarah [en anglais]; The Bellringer.

p_RS-6157.jpg

His Love Songs in English (1965, Reprise/USA, RS-6157)
Venice Blue; I Will Warm Your Heart; Let's Love; Don't Say A Word; Yet... I know; Just You; For Mama; Stay; Little Train; Just Because; Without You I'm Lost; There Is A Time.

p_RS-6245.jpg

His Kind of Love Songs (1967, Reprise/USA, RS-6245)
After Loving You; Between Us; August Days In Paris; Après L'Amour [en anglais]; And I In My Chair; Happy Anniversary; Paris Is at Her Best in May; La Bohème [en anglais]; Yesterday, When I Was Young; My Painful Love; How To Write A Song; Children Of War.

p_slp18130.jpg

Of Flesh and Soul – Charles Aznavour Sings In English (1969, Monument/USA, SLP-18130)
My Hand Needs Your Hand; Go On Laugh, Little Girl; We'll Drift Away; I'll Go On Loving Her; All Those Pretty Girls; C'est Fini [en anglais]; Love Is New Everyday; You've Let Yourself Go [nouvelle version]; You've Got To Learn [nouvelle version]; Somewhere; A Blue Like The Blue of Your Eyes; Two Guitars [nouvelle version].

p_SLP-18141.jpg

A Man's Life: Charles Aznavour (1970, Monument/USA, SLP-18141)
To My Daughter; Sunday's Not My Day; The Palace of Our Illusions; I Will Give To You; The Wine of Youth; Life Is Sad; It Will Be My Day; The Town; If I Had A Piano; The Day We've Waited For; Yesterday When I Was Young [nouvelle version]; The Road to Eternity.

p_90029.jpg

I Sing For... You (1975, RCA, LPL1-5115, USA)
You; Take Me Away; They Fell; The Sound of Your Name; Happy Anniversary; Ciao Always Ciao; Slowly; How Sad Venice Can Be; Remember; Women of Today; Between Us.

p_SHM3081.jpg

My Christmas Album (1981, Pickwick Records/UK, SHM 3081)
A Very Private Christmas; Christmas Calypso; Tell Me Who Was Born; Christmas Eve in A Gambling Town; I Don't Understand; My Own Child For Christmas From You; Ave Maria [en anglais]; Goodbye Christmas Past; Snowball; She; Hosanna [en anglais].

English disco of Charles Aznavour: http://www.goplanete.com/aznavour/musique/disco_int/anglaise.htm

Just got back from an M. Ward concert. Great stuff, but what really caught my ear was the opening band Nice As Fuck. Apparently it's some supergroup that was formed a mere 3 weeks ago. I want to buy their music :(

On ‎16‎/‎04‎/‎2016 at 4:59 PM, Alexcremers said:

Best song of The Cure:

Of course, this ain't too shabby either:

Trees? TREES?!

Sorry, Alex; "A Forest" (indeed, "17 Seconds") stamps on anything The Cure have ever released. The sound is sublime. It's like a winter's day, or the very last kiss form your soon-to-be ex-girlfriend. It's pure ice, and it's beautiful.

8 hours ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Been singing this as a little duet lullaby lately.  Prefer this to the original.

Adore that film and its soundtrack. 

My Paris

A New Musical
A new musical about the life and times of Henri de Toulouse-Lautrec, the artist who captured the gaiety, color and heartbreak of Montmartre, Le Can-Can and the world of Le Moulin Rouge. Inhabited by the colorful people he painted, it’s the story of a great artist who loved a world that never quite loved him back. Music and lyrics are by legendary French performer Charles Aznavour. The book is by Oscar, Tony and Pulitzer Prize-winner Alfred Uhry with English lyrics and musical adaptation by Tony-winner Jason Robert Brown. Tony-winning director/choreographer Kathleen Marshall brings it all to whirling, spinning and sassy life. C’est magnifique!

A song from the musical (may have now new english lyrics in the 2016 Musical)

An original french song from the Musical (Buvons - Let's drink)

Saw Muse live for the 2nd time yesterday. Really spectacular show (I've never seen Pink Floyd live*, but their stagings can't have been more megalomaniac than this). I'd gladly give up some "atmosphere" for better acoustics though.

*) Up next: David Gilmour in June.

I saw Muse in concert during the 2nd Law tour, it was one of the best concerts I've been to!  They put on a hell of a great show

Yes, that's when I saw them first. But the staging of that tour was nothing compared to their current setup with (balloon) drones flying across the hall and semitransparent projection screens with live effects in various configurations.

Apparently it looks even better from the seating area:

It also helps that after originally finding the new album inconspicuous and revising that to quite good after a few listens, a break of a couple of months has vastly improved it and I now classify it as really good. They played a lot from Black Holes and Revelations in particular, too - 6 songs I believe.

Yea when I saw them on the 2nd Law tour, they mostly played songs from 2nd Law and old stuff; I think they only played 1-2 songs from The Resistance! (Which was a bummer for me as The Resistance is the album that got me into them and I love the whole thing).

Honestly the lead single for Drones disappointed me so much that I haven't even bothered to listen to the album yet!

I saw Muse at a festival a few years back and genuinely thought Kasabian blew them off stage. Muse were all about the theatricality and the laser show but Kasabian had more energy and a better batch of songs. I love the first three and a half Muse albums but I dislike anything after that so that probably had an impact. Muse didn't have anything that got the crowd as pumped as Fire. 

For me Absolution, Black Holes, Resistance, and 2nd Law are the best Muse albums. I can barely tell you what any of their pre-Absolution material is like, and still haven't checked out their new one.

But those four albums are ridiculously solid.

Origin of Symetry is their best IMO. The first one is really good too but it sounds a bit more Radioheadish 

I know I've listened to them on spotify, but I don't own them on CD like I do the four I mentioned. For sure, sometime soon I'll give them a more earnest listen.

I would think if you like Absolution you'd like Black Holes and Revelations.

If bad mastering bothers you don't listen to Californication. Brick walled to the max. Will distort at low volumes.

BSSM is better!

8 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

I like all the Chili Pepper songs I hear on the radio but have never bought an album. What's considered their best?

I'd say Californication is the best place to start

Honestly, though, I also like all their singles but never bother with their albums.  The best songs on each always becomes singles.

50 minutes ago, Woji said:

Don't you buy up all the expensive box sets and albums you can get? Maybe I'm confusing you with someone else. 

I buy box sets for the artists I love. Zeppelin, Beatles, Dylan, and Floyd. I have mini sets for Velvet Underground and The Doors but that's all, I believe. 

Glad to hear Sinead's all right, and she gets the treatment she needs. Suicidal yearnings are a terrible burden to bare. 

Inspired me to revisit The Lion and the Cobra, one of my favourite albums of all time. The string arrangement on Troy is something else.