The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

At 39 I've found myself developing a bit of a taste for music and artists I'd never have listened to in my younger days, and George Michael in particular I've grown rather appreciative of in the last couple of years, especially when I listen to tracks such as this one:

6 hours ago, Quintus said:

At 39 I've found myself developing a bit of a taste for music and artists I'd never have listened to in my younger days, and George Michael in particular I've grown rather appreciative of in the last couple of years, especially when I listen to tracks such as this one:

A beautiful song from undoubtedly his best album. It's like rubbing your arse with silk. I love it.

The Beatles live album "The Beatles At The Hollywood Bowl", which combined performances recorded in August 1964 and August 1965, has been remixed and remastered and expanded to include 4 new songs, when Capitol Studios discovered long-lost 3-track tapes in their archives.

The album (now called "Live At The Hollywood Bowl")  is out on CD today and its also on Spotify

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IO7OHTU

On 04/09/2016 at 3:53 PM, Stefancos said:

It's frequently pointed to as being the worst song in the world actually. Signifying everything that was wrong with 80's rock.

Of course it's an awful song, but...somehow insane fun.

'We Built This City' was the second 7" single I ever bought ... the first was John Parr's 'St Elmo's Fire', doubtless another that could be held up as an example of all that was wrong with 80's rock. 

10 hours ago, Richard said:

That's what the 80s was... all big hair, poodle rock and trashy power ballads like TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART, THE FINAL CUNTDOWN, and THE POWER OF LOVE (Jennifer Rush's song...Come to think of it, the FGTH one wasn't much better).

Hmm ... the 80s also saw the likes of U2, The Cure and The Smiths make it big and R.E.M.begin to cross over into the mainstream. 

On 11-9-2016 at 1:15 AM, Sweeping Strings said:

Hmm ... the 80s also saw the likes of U2, The Cure and The Smiths make it big and R.E.M.begin to cross over into the mainstream. 

And I hated them all! (save for a couple Cure tracks)

It is against the law to hate The Smiths, Alex. Pompous twats like U2, maybe, (their early stuff-BOY/OCTOBER/WAR- is great), but not The Smiths.

Bad form, Peter.

Morrissey does pretty well in the pompous twattery stakes himself these days. 

5 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

To make up for Hawny's post:

Olias Of Sunhillow was my musical and superior Avatar, decades before Cameron's movie.

Oh come on. Alex. Something from ANIMATION, at least, or, maybe HE IS SAILING.

God no! 

hqdefault.jpg

Like I said, Anderson created a very unique universe with Olias which evokes flying ships and floating rocks. It's his best solo album. One can even hear it's Anderson while still in his Relayer phase, even though the instrumentation is very, very different.

Ooh, er. You don't really see much latter-day Yes on this thread. The presence of Trevor Horn helps, but I can help thinking that a lot of this was Buggles/audition material.

Fly from here and solitaire are pretty much the only new songs I like.

Quite right. One has to go back 17 years + to find stuff like NEW LANGUAGES, and ENDLESS DREAM ( if ARW don't play that, I'll trash the BIC!) to find classic Yes.

12 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I like Spandau? It's my instinction! :lol:

Reasons, reasons are part of the art!

5 hours ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Listened to the new Beatles Live album last night. Incredible sound quality. Was completely blown away by the clarity! 

Sweet, I'll check it out later today

On 13/09/2016 at 0:34 PM, Alexcremers said:

To make up for Hawny's post:

Olias Of Sunhillow was my musical and superior Avatar, decades before Cameron's movie.

Did you know that Roger Dean was/is sueing Cameron over the designs for Pandora? 

#mountains come out of the sky, and they stand there# 

On 9/9/2016 at 2:51 PM, Jay said:

The Beatles live album "The Beatles At The Hollywood Bowl", which combined performances recorded in August 1964 and August 1965, has been remixed and remastered and expanded to include 4 new songs, when Capitol Studios discovered long-lost 3-track tapes in their archives.

The album (now called "Live At The Hollywood Bowl")  is out on CD today and its also on Spotify

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01IO7OHTU

OK i just finished my first listen.  I enjoyed it a lot!  It's my first experience hearing live Beatles (other than the rooftop concert stuff integrated into the Let It Be album).  Their performance was rip-roaring, full of energy and hardly ever slowing down.  

The biggest fault is the incredibly loud crowd noise, which persists throughout and is especially loud between every track.  Too bad there was nothing they could do about that!

And then the next fault is the 4 bonus tracks, they kind of stick out in a weird way appearing after the main program.  They should have been integrated into the flow of the concert instead.

Overall though, a very fun listen!