The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

Oh. Well, I like classical/film music, too, but Shakira definitely has some good stuff (all people know is "Hips Don't Lie", though ROTFLMAO ).

• 1 month later...

So, has anyone else heard U2's new single, "Get On Your Boots"?

It's possible that it'll grow on me, but my initial reaction after listening to it twice is that it's pretty f---ing terrible. It doesn't make me excited for the album, that's for sure.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
I'm not a huge fan of Coldplay or anything, but their latest song is very nice.

And Joe Satriani is going to sue them for plagiarism!

Go Joe!

In court papers filed on 4 December 2008, Satriani's legal team alleges Viva La Vida, the title track of Coldplay's current album, copies "substantial original portions" of his song If I Could Fly.

Satriani's song was included on his 2004 album Is There Love In Space?

Speaking exclusively to MusicRadar on 6 December, Joe Satriani recalls the exact emotion he felt when he first heard Coldplay's Viva La Vida.

"The second I heard, I knew..."

"I felt like a dagger went right through my heart. It hurt so much," Satriani says. "The second I heard it, I knew it was [my own] If I Could Fly."

As it turned out, Satriani wasn't the only one who noticed the similarity between If I Could Fly and Viva La Vida.

"Almost immediately, from the minute their song came out, my e-mail box flooded with people going, 'Have you heard this song by Coldplay? They ripped you off man.' I mean, I couldn't tell you how many e-mails I received.

Couple of vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tWjja5HIWU

Yeah I heard this story... about three months ago :lol:

The guy will be laughed out of court.

We shall see.

My money's with Joe!

:blink:

• 4 weeks later...
What do people think of the new Green Day single?

I only heard about thirty seconds but it sounds like every other modern Green Day song.

I listened to Dookie last week for the first time in ages, along with the acoustic Cure greatest hits. Both wonderful.

I love Dookie all the way through, then only like their singles from the next few albums, but then LOVE American Idiot. Especially the non-singles (just cause they are SO overplayed). But stuff like Jesus of Suburbia, Letterbomb, and Whatsername are brilliant.

My first impressions of the new single are: The riff is catchy, but the lyrics are repetitive. I know that describes a lot of Green Day songs ;) I expected more, but I'm not letting one single change my anticipation of the entire album.

I HATED American Idiot, the song, when it came out, but when I heard Boulevard of Broken Dreams I bought the album and loved it right away. The first probably 30 times I listened to I started right on track 2. Eventually I grew to like AI (the song), though.

• 4 weeks later...

Listened to 21st Century Breakdown at the gym this afternoon. Its good, though not nearly as good as American Idiot. SOme nice variety of music, some of it as un-punk as they've gone (other than Foxboro Hot Tubs). I don't think it'll be as big of a commercial success as AI was.

I liked the title track quite a bit. One of the tracks towards the end reminded me VERY much of a specific other Green Day song (from AI) but I couldn't put my finger on which one at the time.

• 3 months later...

Listened to 21st Century Breakdown at the gym this afternoon. Its good, though not nearly as good as American Idiot.

I'm actually listening to it right now. From some reason I feel that its stronger than American Idiot, but it just doesn't connect with me. I loved Billy's vocals on American Idiot; he seems to be trying too hard on 21st Century. I dont think I can explain it. It is still a good album and it proves that this band is not going anywhere.

Well I'm officially addicted to Humbug. This album gets better and better with each subsequent listen. I don't understand my love for Arctic Monkeys, but I'm not gonna complain.

On to other matters...

I want to get a nice box set. I'm debating between getting the Definitive Mini-LP Collection set of Led Zeppelin's entire catalogue and the upcoming Beatles Stereo Box Set. The Led Zep set is a bit expensive, running for $180 on Amazon, but on the Marketplace I can get it new for $120. I was about to jump on this, but then I thought, maybe I want The Beatles more. Amazon sold out their first shipment, but will get more after release.

Anyone care to chime in?

I definitely like Led Zeppelin more, at least from the music I have from both bands. It's a tough choice, and eventually I'll probably end up getting both. I'll mull it over for a few days, or at least wait until the Stereo Box Set is released and see if Amazon gets anymore in stock.

I'm seeing Ben Folds tomorrow night and I can't wait. That dude knows how to entertain. He also happens to be an amazing piano player and a great singer. So excited!

Cool. Hope he comes here someday.

Me, I've had Regina Spektor's Soviet Kitsch on permanent rotation for the last few days.

Led Zeppelin. Then again, I'm not the world's biggest Beatles fan. Led Zep are far more interesting, and none of their albums contain Paul McCarteney.

Then why bother offering a recommendation? And I think Paul prefers you spell it "McCartney."

Led Zeppelin. Then again, I'm not the world's biggest Beatles fan. Led Zep are far more interesting, and none of their albums contain Paul McCarteney.

Then why bother offering a recommendation? And I think Paul prefers you spell it "McCartney."

Because I think Led Zep are an incredible band and worth recommending?

The stereo remasters use the original mixes except for Help! and Rubber Soul which have George Martin's 1987 digital remixes (the Mono box have the original stereo mixes for these two in addition to the mono of course).

I luckily managed to nab a Mono box at the store in town at a reasonable price woot!

Was tempted to pick up the Stereo Box as the store has them at that price - good deal that.

Picked up a few of the albums instead.

The place also had some Rolling Stones SACDs weird as I thought they'd been OOP - so grabbed a couple of those as well.