The Official Pop and Rock Music thread

Quintus

14 hours ago, A Ghost From Highwood said:

🤤Waiting for the Blackhole album, he's been teasing us for so long😏

the DRA!!!!!!!!!!👻

Yeah, I'm ready for new music. I enjoyed Prisoner but it wasn't my favourite of his. I much preferred the self titled. 

Saw him two nights in a row earlier in the year or this time last year... I can't even remember anymore. He was great. Loads of songs and lots of variety between the two nights. He was great although I think it was shortly after his brother died so he wasn't in the best of moods. The music was great but there wasn't much banter between the songs. 

Will definitely go see him again the next time he's around. 

My problem is I basically stopped following him after 2005.  I just drifted away.  I know a few songs from after that.  But when I was in high school boy I loved everything he did.  Even Rock N Roll!

Sometimes I forget how much I loved Heartbreaker.  The album my friends and I listened to the first time we ever drank alcohol!

Oh yeah Heartbreaker... 🍻 

a friend got me the deluxe ver because I literally was going through a heartbreak. Then I sank into the ocean of DRA. (You can see how much I love Night Birds🍻)  Heartbreaker+29= I died.

Do You Still Love Me? Personal fav from Prisoner (more like fav post-2005 DRA song)

What about Orion? 😉

I actually like Imminent Galactic War, because:

56A13B90-7958-4DBE-8B7A-CB27BD4D143D.gif

👻

This new box set release for John Lennon's album Imagine sounds interesting

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/john-lennons-new-imagine-box-set-an-exclusive-guide-715001/

My second favorite album by a solo Beatle!

Ram!

I consider Ram, Imagine, and All Things Must Pass to be the three in the tippy toppingest tier of solo Beatles.

Ringo, bless his heart.  I do quite enjoy Ringo and Goodnight Vienna as silly little confections.  He tries his best.

I've never considered RAM to be a truly great record, but on your (tacit) recommendation, I'll listen to it, again.

ATMP is truly great.

Ringo (peace, love, and I don't do autographs): whatever one says about him, he was a brilliant drummer.

Stu, do you consider Wings solo?

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

Stu, do you consider Wings solo?

I do, I'm afraid.  Paul never quite convinced anyone it was a real band.

I've just always loved Ram.  Paul sounds like he's having the time of his life, the songs are fantastic, it's all fairly lightweight thematically but so pleasant.  It's a record for a happy day.  A paean to domestic life.

19 minutes ago, Richard said:

That's exact the way I feel about McCARTNEY II !

I like McCartney II.  I really appreciate its weirdness.  But the production plays a little too harsh in my ears to get through the whole thing at once.  When I finally got to see him live back in 2015, it was a ton of fun to hear him play "Temporary Secretary" live :D 

BTW, "Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey" is my favorite song by any solo Beatle.  Hands down.  Or should I says hands across the water?

Whoa!  Sony admits to including three songs recorded by a Michael Jackson impersonator on the posthumous 2010 album, Michael.

That's crazy!

https://www.spin.com/2018/08/sony-confesses-to-releasing-fake-michael-jackson-music/

5 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Whoa!  Sony admits to including three songs recorded by a Michael Jackson impersonator on the posthumous 2010 album, Michael.

That's crazy!

https://www.spin.com/2018/08/sony-confesses-to-releasing-fake-michael-jackson-music/

Refund Time!

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I like McCartney II.  I really appreciate its weirdness.  But the production plays a little too harsh in my ears to get through the whole thing at once.

Do you think that's because the whole record is D.I.?

18 minutes ago, Richard said:

Do you think that's because the whole record is D.I.?

So was McCartney the first self-titled album and I like that a lot (well at least I like "Every Night" and "Maybe I'm Amazed" a lot)

In other news,

I've become quite enamored with this Louis Cole album that I posted about last week.  It's kind of my favorite new pop album I've heard in a long time.... @Nick Parker I think you might like this album, maybe

On 8/17/2018 at 9:51 AM, Disco Stu said:

This album is the real deal.  I listened again this morning and it's a super interesting R&B-Jazz-Pop-Electro hybrid with a wicked sense of humor.

The songs "Real Life" and "Trying Not to Die" are funky jazzy fun.  Both feature great piano solos.

1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

Thanks for lookin' out, @Disco Stu. I'll let you know my thoughts when I check it out.

I'm remembering that feeling from when I was younger and I'd excitedly put on a CD for a friend to listen to and watch their face while they listen waiting for them to love it like I do and inevitably they don't.

Just now, Disco Stu said:

I'm remembering that feeling from when I was younger and I'd excitedly put on a CD for a friend to listen to and watch their face while they listen waiting for them to love it like I do and inevitably they don't.

Aw, I hate that feeling, whether it's music, a movie, or whatever. Then you start looking at it through their eyes and start questioning if you really like it as much as you thought you did.

24 minutes ago, Richard said:

Chicago? They're a hard habit to break.

True.

I am in the minority of people who love both their 70s and 80s sounds

23 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

In other news,

I've become quite enamored with this Louis Cole album that I posted about last week.  It's kind of my favorite new pop album I've heard in a long time.... @Nick Parker I think you might like this album, maybe

Hahahahaha! That song was a lot of fun! I felt like I was watching a tamer Tim and Eric sketch. Been a while since I heard a modern new jack swing type of thing. For a little bit I thought it was spinning its wheels, but with the climax, the little interesting bits it wss dropping made sense. Thanks for the recommendation!

Do you like music on the heavier side, let us say, Mr. Disco? 

15 minutes ago, Richard said:

Tru, dat. I feel sorry for Waters, in a way. He really does try, but one gets the impression that Gilmour would prefer him to just fuck off.

I feel sorry for the both of them because they were at their best when they were together. I'm afraid it's too late now. 

Been listening to a lot of The Cat Empire over the past couple months. I love how this band manages to blend so many different styles and genres into one they can call their own. Jazz, ska, reggae, rock, salsa, Afro-Cuban, and even some hip-hop. Love the dichotomy between the two lead singers and how they play off conflicting styles in the same song. Is this something up your alley, @Disco Stu

1 minute ago, Koray Savas said:

Been listening to a lot of The Cat Empire over the past couple months. I love how this band manages to blend so many different styles and genres into one they can call their own. Jazz, ska, reggae, rock, salsa, Afro-Cuban, and even some hip-hop. Love the dichotomy between the two lead singers and how they play off conflicting styles in the same song. Is this something up your alley, @Disco Stu

So are they like a modern Mr. Bungle?

41 minutes ago, Richard said:

Hmm.

That's a good point. Has anyone ever transcended the band that they were once a part of?

Possibilities are: Peter Gabriel, and Paul Simon.

Eric Clapton, too. 

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Has anyone ever transcended the band that they were once a part of?

Vangelis! 

For most others, I doubt it. Some survived remarkably well and had a wonderful, (often) more commercial solo career like indeed Peter Gabriel, Sting, Paul Simon, Tina Turner, Clapton, Phil Collins, Paul McCartney and Bryan Ferry.

3 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Vangelis! 

For most others, I doubt it. Some survived remarkably well and had a wonderful, (often) more commercial solo career like indeed Peter Gabriel, Sting, Paul Simon, Tina Turner, Clapton, Phil Collins, Paul McCartney and Bryan Ferry.

Vangelis?! From what? Aphrodite's Child? Not much of a group to transcend.

Sting? Yes.

Clapton? Definitely.

Ferry? No.

Collins? Fuck that. 

McCartney? Ditto. 

Turner? The jury's out.

8 hours ago, Richard said:

That's a good point. Has anyone ever transcended the band that they were once a part of?

Not necessarily transcended (also considering their reunion album), but I'd say Ben Folds solo is just as good as Ben Folds Five.

As a solo artist Phil Collins was a big hit machine but I can't say that I would listen to his music at home. It's too radio-ish for me. I did buy his first solo album (on vinyl, of course)  at the time and I still have it. He's a great drummer and used to have a beautiful (softer) singing voice. 

You should listen to FACE VALUE, on the best hi-fi that you can, on either the 2017 CD remaster, or 180gm virgin vinyl, because, no matter what one might think of the songs (I think it's his best record) it still sounds brilliant: open, deep but bright, and vibrant.