The Godfather - The Greatest Movie of All Time™?

BLUMENKOHL

The Godfather - The Greatest Movie of All Time™?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. The Godfather - The Greatest Movie of All Time™?

• Yes
    • No
    • I have not seen The Godfather

Why should it not be?

That's not an answer. But in my view a maffia movie can never be the greatest movie of all time...too much violence.

Right . . . because the real world certainly never has anything violent happen, so how could a movie about violent people possibly have anything worthwhile to say?

I've got no problem with people not liking violent movies. However, any -- any -- discussion of what constitutes "the greatest movie ever made" cannot afford to rule out movies based on their having or not having some element. No violent movies? Ridiculous; ignorant, even.

This is a perfect example of why real critics -- who, presumably, have no such biases, or at least have the professional sense to overcome them -- are a valuable cultural tool. Because, quite frankly, they've just got better taste than a lot of us. And since, en masse, they seem to think The Godfather is a serious contender for the "Best Movie Ever" title, I'd yield to them even if I didn't agree.

Why should it not be?

That's not an answer. But in my view a maffia movie can never be the greatest movie of all time...too much violence.

Right . . . because the real world certainly never has anything violent happen, so how could a movie about violent people possibly have anything worthwhile to say?

I've got no problem with people not liking violent movies. However, any -- any -- discussion of what constitutes "the greatest movie ever made" cannot afford to rule out movies based on their having or not having some element. No violent movies? Ridiculous; ignorant, even.

This is a perfect example of why real critics -- who, presumably, have no such biases, or at least have the professional sense to overcome them -- are a valuable cultural tool. Because, quite frankly, they've just got better taste than a lot of us. And since, en masse, they seem to think The Godfather is a serious contender for the "Best Movie Ever" title, I'd yield to them even if I didn't agree.

:mrgreen:

Turkish American, not a good combination, IMO.

Anyway....

I like Turkish food.

I like Turkish Delight

Let's put it this way, if the Godfather is the greatest ever, how is it that Godfather II is widely considered to be superior?

Easy, Part II is the greatest ever, ever!

It's when threads turns to sh*t like this that I yearn for humble comforts of a Turkish prison.

Do you like movies about Gladiators?

I do, but I rarely find the time nowadays. When I'm not working, I'm hanging around in the gymnasium.

I hope to see The Godfather on the big screen in a few months - our cinema is having a free season of classic movies.

The thing I will say now though, is that all this stuff about Dark Knight overtaking it is just stupid. Partly because of all the comments above about trying to quantify the 'greatest movie', but also because it wasn't that good. I think IMDB has a problem with Batman fanboys, because no way in hell does this movie deserve a 9.x rating.

Shawshank - now there's a movie I can watch over and over and blows me away every time. Not the 'greatest', but again, among them.

Why should it not be?

The movie is about the American Dream, an epic about the rise and fall of a family. Sure, it's also a Mafia movie. But it's much more than just a Mafia movie.

Why should it not be?

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

I'm Dutch.

Why should it not be?

The movie is about the American Dream, an epic about the rise and fall of a family. Sure, it's also a Mafia movie. But it's much more than just a Mafia movie.

:lurk: I never new it was about the American Dream.

Why should it not be?

I don't give a f**k about critics. Mostly what they like, I hate. So let's just talk about everybody's own opinion whether or not certain criteria make a movie the best ever made, or not, in his or her own view.

So is violence in culture propagated by our entertainment, or is our entertainment reflective of our cultural history of violence? I tend to lean towards the latter most days of the week.

Why should it not be?

I don't give a f**k about critics. Mostly what they like, I hate. So let's just talk about everybody's own opinion whether or not certain criteria make a movie the best ever made, or not, in his or her own view.

Fine, let's do that. In a thread entitled "The Godfather -- Is It Your Favorite Movie?"

If you want to talk seriously about whether you think something is the greatest movie ever made and there is an entire type of movie -- violent movies -- that you won't consider because of a quirk in your personality, then you have no credibility. It's just that simple. As I tried to make clear, I personally have no problem with somebody who doesn't want to watch violent movies. But this isn't what we're talking about.

What you're saying is that The Godfther -- and, presumably, any movie you find to be overly violent -- is automatically disqualified for consideration. I'm calling you an idiot for even thinking that, and since I've got the weight of virtually the entirety of critical history standing behind me, I feel pretty good about doing it. Sorry if that chaps your ass a little bit, but sometimes stupidity needs to be called into question.

I think that each one feeds the other.

I agree, with some reservations.

My guess is that people who are prone to committing violent acts are going to do so one way or the other, but that a movie or video game or whatever might put into their head a specific manner in which to do that violence.

I just kinda doubt that there are too many people (if any) who have ever played Grand Theft Auto for a while, turned it off, sat in the floor for a second, shrugged, and gone out and committed their first crime. It just doesn't sound that plausible.

On the other hand, maybe violence in the media can enhance people's pychoses; that's its own problem.

Personally, I feel like way more problems would be created than solved if violence in the media were to somehow be banned and eliminated. Except maybe for Leonard Nimoy, we've all got violent urges buried within us somewhere (hopefully, way down deep), and they have to be tended the same way any other natural human emotion needs to be tended. Movies seem to be a pretty decent way or doing that, and I suspect far more people have calmed by them than enraged.

Violent media encourages violence? Heh. It's all just based on the myth that we used to be more peaceful. The only difference now is that we know more about ourselves and what's really going on.

It's not THE greatest movie of all time, but it's certainly one of the greatest. It had everything going for it: a great novel as its base, with the author brought in to help write the screenplay; an outstanding cast; memorable moments and dialog; epic cinematography and music; and accessible themes of family that went beyond all the violence. The violence was important to the story, but the movie should not be dismissed solely based on violence because that's not the heart and soul of this movie. If you're gonna do that, scratch Lawrence of Arabia, Ben-Hur, The Wizard of Oz, and Gone with the Wind all off the list of contenders for greatest movie of all time, because they're all violent, too.

As far as Godfather Part II being better than Part I, I just don't see it. Maybe I'm naive because I only saw Part II once and might not have been paying close enough attention, but I missed having Marlon Brando and James Caan in it. I will watch it again soon.

Why should it not be?

Fine, let's do that. In a thread entitled "The Godfather -- Is It Your Favorite Movie?"

If you want to talk seriously about whether you think something is the greatest movie ever made and there is an entire type of movie -- violent movies -- that you won't consider because of a quirk in your personality, then you have no credibility. It's just that simple. As I tried to make clear, I personally have no problem with somebody who doesn't want to watch violent movies. But this isn't what we're talking about.

What you're saying is that The Godfther -- and, presumably, any movie you find to be overly violent -- is automatically disqualified for consideration. I'm calling you an idiot for even thinking that, and since I've got the weight of virtually the entirety of critical history standing behind me, I feel pretty good about doing it. Sorry if that chaps your ass a little bit, but sometimes stupidity needs to be called into question.

I am glad I don't have the weight of virtually the entirety of critical history standing behind me, but my own opinion. You wanted to discuss if the Godfather is the best picture ever made, so I give my arguments of why I think it cannot be. You don't have to agree, but yes I think movies where violence is to obvious and the very core of a movie, in my opinion cannot be the best movie of all time. That would be a movie that entertains me, and most violent movies fail to do so. I am sorry.

As far as Godfather Part II being better than Part I, I just don't see it. Maybe I'm naive because I only saw Part II once and might not have been paying close enough attention, but I missed having Marlon Brando and James Caan in it. I will watch it again soon.

I actually agree. While it's an excellent film, it does have significantly less magic than the first film for the reasons you described.

• 10 years later...

Ten and a half year bump.

While the question is subjective and answers will reflect that, no, I don't think it's the greatest film of all time. However I would rank it and its sequel among the all time greats.

This is rumour control; here are the facts.

THE GODFATHER is not only the best film of its genre, it is also one of the finest executed (no pun intended) films of all time. Part mob saga, part history lesson, part study of a dysfunctional family; it blends drama, action, and doomed romance, perfectly.

Most of all, however, it's the story of how a good man can be overtaken by events, and eventually become corrupted beyond recognition. It's a cautionary tale about how the American dream can turn sour, very quickly.

Is it the best film ever made? No, but it's damn well near the top.

Imho, any "greatest" list should include VERTIGO, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, LA GRANDE ILLUSION, 2001, THE GODFATHER I+II, and THE THIRD MAN. I'm not saying that these are my favourites, but I am saying that they all deserve to be counted as the best of the best.

9 minutes ago, John said:

100% agree with you, Richard.

Rewatched it recently and was amazed by how fast it moves, for a 3 hour film. Tightly paced without a minute wasted. 

Yes, and PART II stamps all over it.

8 minutes ago, Bespin said:

No, it’s Ferris Bueller’s day off.

Ejit.