The Godfather - The Greatest Movie of All Time™?

BLUMENKOHL

The Godfather - The Greatest Movie of All Time™?  

50 members have voted

1. 1. The Godfather - The Greatest Movie of All Time™?

• Yes
    • No
    • I have not seen The Godfather

That's not too bad a track record. Lots of the greatest films were directed by people who later burnt out or completely lost it (Scott, Coppola, Lucas, etc.).

I suppose. I still think Ridley Scott makes great films though. Gladiator being his best in recent years.

Sir Wrigley burnt out after BLADE RUNNER. He hasn't made a decent movie since ALIEN.

Koray, have you ever seen a grown man naked?

He's more interested in leather-clad gladiators

Spielberg is an overrated director himself. He has maybe about 5 superb films, the rest are just great blockbusters.

And that's called overated?

Spielberg has made 6 masterpieces, IMO.

Masterpieces: E.T., Raiders, ToD, LC, Jurassic Park, Jaws

Good - Near Masterpiece: Indy 4, CE3K, Catch Me If You Can, Minority Report, WotW

Okay: Hook, A.I., Empire of the Sun, The Terminal, The Lost World,

Bad: 1941

Oh dear...

Spielberg is an overrated director himself. He has maybe about 5 superb films, the rest are just great blockbusters.

Well when you only have 3 outstanding movies out of 25, and everyone thinks you're one of the greatest directors of all time... yeah, that's overrated.

Well when you only have 3 outstanding movies out of 25, and everyone thinks you're one of the greatest directors of all time... yeah, that's overrated.

3?

Lets see:

Jaws, Close Encounters, Raiders of the Lost Ark, E.T., Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan.

That's 6, by the least.

And they say it about nolan and how many movies has he? ;)

But the largest amount of Hitchcock film also are not masterpieces.

So you complaint about Spielberg goes for him as well.

Both Kubrick and Leone were extremely low-output directors, so your choice of them is rather obvious.

You give Leone too much credit.

Raiders Of The Lost Ark, E.T., CE3K, Jaws, Schindler's List, The Color Purple and possible Saving Private Ryan put him in elite status with any of the other great directors.

Who would you suggest is better then?

Sergio Leone, Stanley Kubrick, Alfred Hitchcock, Akira Kurosawa, maybe Martin Scorsese.

The problem with AH is that most of his films are all very similiar. He does not venture into different genres as much as Spielberg does (sorry Hitch).

Having said that, Rear Window, Psycho, Vertigo, and possibly North by Northwest are all masterpieces, IMO. And he has made tons of other good films.

I'm not familiar enough with the work of the others you mentioned to talk about them.

I don't give Leone enough credit. He is the greatest director of all time. I consider Spielberg's masterpieces to be Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, and Munich. I know pretty much all of you here hate Munich both film and score, but whatever.

I might put Kurosawa as the greatest.

You give Leone too much credit.

True, he has 3 films that are generally considered to be masterpieces, and 2 of them were Spaghetti Westerns.

They are brilliant though.

That's even debatable.

Although they are very good films.

I don't give Leone enough credit. He is the greatest director of all time. I consider Spielberg's masterpieces to be Schindler's List, Saving Private Ryan, and Munich. I know pretty much all of you here hate Munich both film and score, but whatever.

Not true.

Only the first 3 are considered master pieces.

Also most of his films were westerns, done in the same style, so he's not very versatile.

He's very good, he's very influential, but he's not the best all-out-director ever.

Also most of his films were westerns, done in the same style, so he's not very versatile.

So? Most directors only direct in 1 style.

Hitchcock, Scorsese, Kubrick, Kurosawa, Leone. All pretty much 1 style of filmmaking. Spielberg is barely more versatile. I could say most of his movies are just summer blockbusters. You have the sci-fi Spielberg and the historical Spielberg

Who would you suggest is better then?

Sergio Leone, Stanley Kubrick, Alfred Hitchcock, Akira Kurosawa, maybe Martin Scorsese.

The problem with AH is that most of his films are all very similiar. He does not venture into different genres as much as Spielberg does (sorry Hitch).

Having said that, Rear Window, Psycho, Vertigo, and possibly North by Northwest are all masterpieces, IMO. And he has made tons of other good films.

I'm shocked you managed to list 4 of my movies. What you mean "possibly"? All my movies are masterpieces with the exception of some home movies I made in the bedroom. Lighting wasn't great in some shots. And Bumstead didn't make the room very big.

That is rubbish, at least Spielberg has done a fairly large variety of genres. And to some extent adopted his style to fit those.

He hasn't done a western yet. I'm still waiting to see fatty Richard Dreyfuss on a horse. I'd pity the poor horse.

Why should it not be?

That's not an answer. But in my view a maffia movie can never be the greatest movie of all time...too much violence.

Why should it not be?

That's not an answer. But in my view a maffia movie can never be the greatest movie of all time...too much violence.

It's not what you say, it's how you say it.

It's when threads turns to sh*t like this that I yearn for humble comforts of a Turkish prison.

Do you like movies about Gladiators?

So? Most directors only direct in 1 style.

Hitchcock, Scorsese, Kubrick, Kurosawa, Leone. All pretty much 1 style of filmmaking. Spielberg is barely more versatile. I could say most of his movies are just summer blockbusters. You have the sci-fi Spielberg and the historical Spielberg

Um...so where excactly does that leave Raiders of the Lost Ark, Temple of Doom, Last Crusade, 1941, Jaws, Duel, The Terminal, The Lost World, Hook, Always, Twilight Zone: The Movie...

Besides, most of his films are made very differently, even if they're of the same genre. Take Spielberg's sci-fi films:

War of the Worlds

Minority Report

A.I. Artificial Intelligence

E.T. The Extra Terrestrial

Close Encounters of the Third Kind

They're all sci-fi, but they're all worlds apart (no pun intended).