The Great Movie Heroes

Koray Savas

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

John Rambo.

Vietnam vet with post traumatic stress disorder coming back to the US only to find a personal war at home. The character was remarkable for his believability in First Blood, and he's just awesome in the second film. He's almost godlike in Rambo III, but that film tends to lose my interest about half way through, and he's still pretty unstoppable in Rambo.

But he's still likable, with all his emotional vulnerabilities, strengths in fighting, and the appeal of sticking it to corrupt authority.

Rambo is pure badass goodness.

Indiana Jones:

He is the perfect hero, because of his imperfections. He is a flawed hero, and that makes him really fun to watch. He is endlessly resourceful, and can get out of pretty much any situation he is put in (the bridge in ToD comes to mind). He is witty, smart, and caring, as well as brave, heroic, and tender. While he is tough and macho, he can still have emotions and he can still care. I really can't think of any good guy character that I prefer to Indy.

Homer Simpson.

Deadbeat dad who treats his son like crap and loves a damn pig for whatever reason. Unwittingly ruins the town lake, causing the government to intervene with extreme action, so Homer has to use his "brain" to save Springfield, defeat the evil Russ Cargill, and restore equilibrium.

Sure, Homer's just a regular family dad, but he does extraordinary things when under pressure.

hitch3.gif

This is my boss, Alfred Hitchcock, a self-made millionaire. He's quite a guy. This is Mrs. H. She's gorgeous. She's one lady who knows how to take care of herself. By the way, my name is Pat. I take care of them, which ain't easy, 'cause when they met....it was murder

AFI's #1 hero is Atticus Finch.

he's not even a hero in the movie.

how is a lawyer doing his job heroic?

Boo is the hero of the movie.

how is a lawyer doing his job heroic?

Boo is the hero of the movie.

He's more than just a lawyer. He stands up against racism when no one else would.

What is this, conventional theory? Let me guess: there was never any racism in the South. It was just an elaborate myth.

please don't try and lecture a southerner on racism, we know all about it, just like people from Mass. some of the best practitioners are northerners.

but Atticus isn't the greatest hero of all time.

Jack Ryan (Harrison Ford or Alec Baldwin, NOT Ben Affleck) of the Tom Clancy films (and the great novels for that matter).

&

James Bond (the Daniel Craig version)

&

Ripley from Alien 1-3

&

Neo (Mr. Anderson) of Matrix fame

&

Doc from Back to the Future

:thumbup:

What is this, conventional theory? Let me guess: there was never any racism in the South. It was just an elaborate myth.

please don't try and lecture a southerner on racism, we know all about it, just like people from Mass. some of the best practitioners are northerners.

I was, and I think Henry was as well, under the impression that you didn't think Atticus Finch was a hero at all.

I was, and I think Henry was as well, under the impression that you didn't think Atticus Finch was a hero at all.

I don't, which means he's not the greatest of all time.

John McClane folks, John McClane. You can't argue the badass.

D'oh! How could we forget HIM!! Geez....what a great one! We actually just watched Die Hard the other night.

Jamesyboy - yippie-kai-yay mother......

Of the action/adventure pack (as in not heroic heroes, just 'good guys'), no one holds a candle to Indiana Jones. A human adventure hero, something of a know-it-all, something of a dufus.

My favorite heroic hero (as in a hero that I actually find inspiring) is Sir Thomas More, as played by Paul Scofield in A Man for All Seasons.

I don't, which means he's not the greatest of all time.

He may not be the greatest of all time, but you can't deny the fact that he is a hero.