The Official Music Cameo Thread

indy4

Often time when listening to a score, I'll hear bits that sound like a theme from another film. Almost always they're unintentional (I assume), but they can still be tons of fun to spot out.

Let's try to avoid the more obvious ones ("The Parade"/The Emperor's Theme, "Yoda's Theme" in E.T., etc), I think everybody knows those.

This is NOT a plagarism thread--it's meant to be moments that are either unintentional or meant as a homage to another piece of music.

My first one: 2:13 - 2:16 of "Into the Pie Machine" from Chicken Run sounds like the Superman Theme heard in the very begginning of the concert version of the march.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The motif Uematsu uses for the Lifestream at the end of the finale cue in Final Fantasy VII sounds a lot like Yoda's theme.

Jabba's theme in TPM ('cause indy4 didn't mention it). :)

The Witch's theme from The Wizard of Oz in The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Dumb and Dumber

oh, and The Quiet Man in E.T.

Not themes from another film, but there's a lot of good ones in 1941, apart from the Jaws appearance already mentioned. Offhand, I can think of Anchor's Aweigh, The Marines' Hymn, the German National Anthem (is that Deutche Uber Alles?) and Deep in the Heart of Texas (I think that's the title of the song, but it's the one Belushi sings)....too bad only two of those are on the OST

Not themes from another film, but there's a lot of good ones in 1941, apart from the Jaws appearance already mentioned. Offhand, I can think of Anchor's Aweigh, The Marines' Hymn, the German National Anthem (is that Deutche Uber Alles?) and Deep in the Heart of Texas (I think that's the title of the song, but it's the one Belushi sings)....too bad only two of those are on the OST

He also uses the "Rakes Of Mallow" for the fight sequences. And yes the song Belushi sings is called "Deep In The Heart of Texas".

There is a little section in TPM that sounds like Battle Star Galactica.

Jaws is also used in Top Secret!.

Isn't Jaws used everywhere? ;)

I still find the prominetn use of material from Shostakovich's piano concerto in Basic Instinct somewhat amusing. But that, again, isn't for this thread. Ride of the Valkyries in King Solomon's Mines is more appropriate, though not among the better things in that score I think.

Also in Basic Instinct, there's a brief moment that sounds like a quote from a rather obscure bit of Bruckner's 4th symphony, which I consider a likely conscious nod. Also, I still believe Goldsmith intentionally used a motif from Gremlins 2 at one point in Hollow Man.

Goonies uses both the theme from Zorro (which I've only heard used in George Hamilton's Zorro: The Gayblade, but I suspect is originally from older more classic Zorro films, as his was a spoof), and also the March from Superman, as Sloth first comes down to the pirate ship, and then rips open his shirt to reveal the big S. I think the Zorro music is in the soundtrack I have, but not the Superman music.

"Breakfast Machine" from Pee-Wee's Big Adventure is used in a commercial, I think it's for that company that shows how using cash disrupts the flow of service when everyone else uses credit cards.

If you listen through the end credits on Serenity there's an instrumental version of the original Firefly theme song at the end. Not surprisngly it got cut out of the OST. Supposedly some of it can also be heard in the film when Jayne's playing the guitar on Haven, but I've never heard it.

Born Free in Madagascar

Lawrence of Arabia in The Spy Who Loved Me

Star Trek 2 in Cocoon ;)

Psycho in Looney Tunes

The Star Wars theme in Heartbeeps.. Track 11: Come Phil! the bginning.. I know its a motiv and not a cameo and it segues into something different but I cant help when the oboe comes in at 0:26, to think of a classy Star Wars-Luke Skywalker moment :) also thsi sounds very much like The Terminal

Raiders of the lost ark in Harry Potter 3:

When they are practising in the class with the boggarts.. the one kids greatest fear is shown: SNAKES and you can clearly hear the Indy snake motiv there when the snake appears ;)

There is a little section in TPM that sounds like Battle Star Galactica.

Yeah, in 'Anakin Is Free.' That always stood out to me, even more so with the Episode I Insider's Guide CD-ROM that came out with the movie, as one of the menus played that little second repeatedly.

I'm not sure whether it's a good cameo or not, but part of the main title from JAWS 3-D shows up in a fishing scene in a John-Candy-on-vacation flick, either SUMMER RENTAL or THE GREAT OUTDOORS. Always thought that was an interesting choice, as opposed to the obvious choice.

The Star Wars theme in Heartbeeps.. Track 11: Come Phil! the bginning.. I know its a motiv and not a cameo and it segues into something different but I cant help when the oboe comes in at 0:26, to think of a classy Star Wars-Kuke Skywalker moment :)

;)

SW theme in Platform 9 3/4 from HP:PS.

Where? On the album, or just in the film?

Was that "Indy's First Adventure"? I just heard "Generic Mischievous Action."

Same thing...album, or film?

If on album, what track time?

The motif Uematsu uses for the Lifestream at the end of the finale cue in Final Fantasy VII sounds a lot like Yoda's theme.

Jabba's theme in TPM ('cause indy4 didn't mention it). :)

Where is the Jabba theme? I've never noticed it before.

Also I'll add

WoTW in "Hidden Treasure and the City of Gold" from Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull".

"No Ticket" in "Gilderoy Lockhart".

The V2 theme from MOH in The Incredibles.

The Witch's theme from The Wizard of Oz in The Hunchback of Notre Dame

;) Cool, where's that?

During the scene where one of the talking gargoyles tells the birds to "Fly! Fly!"...they purposely try to make it look like Wizard of Oz, visually and aurally. But the cue itself is unreleased (at least it's not on the OST =/)

OH this is the Disney version of the film, just for clarifcation ;)

SW theme in Platform 9 3/4 from HP:PS.

Where? On the album, or just in the film?

Was that "Indy's First Adventure"? I just heard "Generic Mischievous Action."

Same thing...album, or film?

If on album, what track time?

It's within the first 3 seconds...there's a big trumpet blast to start of the cue, some rising strings, and then three more trumpet notes that are references to 5:34-5:35 of "Indy's Very First Adventure."

The Witch's theme from The Wizard of Oz in The Hunchback of Notre Dame

;) Cool, where's that?

During the scene where one of the talking gargoyles tells the birds to "Fly! Fly!"...they purposely try to make it look like Wizard of Oz, visually and aurally. But the cue itself is unreleased (at least it's not on the OST =/)

OH this is the Disney version of the film, just for clarifcation ;)

Oh yeah, now I remember.

The Star Wars theme in Heartbeeps.. Track 11: Come Phil! the bginning.. I know its a motiv and not a cameo and it segues into something different but I cant help when the oboe comes in at 0:26, to think of a classy Star Wars-Kuke Skywalker moment ;)

:P

how dare you to laugh at me!

also i don't know who you are quoting here.. because my original post is obviously correct!

;)

King Kong 1933 in The Lost World 1998.

Where?

I believe the main similarity is the cue in The Lost World where the team is walking through the long grass and gets eaten by raptors, the first minute or so of which sounds very much like a slightly slowed down version of the cue called 'The Island' from King Kong (beginning of Track 3 on the Stromberg CD).

King Kong 1933 in The Lost World 1998.

Where?

I believe the main similarity is the cue in The Lost World where the team is walking through the long grass and gets eaten by raptors, the first minute or so of which sounds very much like a slightly slowed down version of the cue called 'The Island' from King Kong (beginning of Track 3 on the Stromberg CD).

Yup.

The lost world track is 'The Trek'

Its almost a rip off. But I think it was an intentional homage.

The 'motif' is in the whole King Kong track, not just the beggining, though.

And the part you mentioned also, second half of Hammond's plan.

Isn't that "Hedwig's theme?"

Williams just reused that motif as in Across the Stars....