Death of the Compact Disc

indy4

It was practically non existent for 25 years, and now consumers buy vinyl more than compact discs.  It's pretty remarkable actually.

It's mostly interesting to me that music sales are so, so far down overall, regardless of medium its purchased on.  Essentially, people would rather leech music these days than pay for it.

What does the gray line on the bottom represent?  At first I thought it was just the bottom of the chart but it does fluctuate a bit.  Minidisc?  😂 

Streaming can also cost money. 

And if free streaming eats up your monthly data, throttling the rest of your month, what good is that? 

11 hours ago, ATXHusker said:

What does the gray line on the bottom represent?  At first I thought it was just the bottom of the chart but it does fluctuate a bit.  Minidisc?  😂 

That's a great question!  I just went back to the original post and couldn't find the answer there (but one commentor did ask!).  Minidisc seems like a decent guess except I don't think it would still be so high in the 2010s.  Huh.

EDIT: See here: https://www.riaa.com/u-s-sales-database/

It's probably an aggregate of all the other mediums mentioned here (SACD, DVD-A, etc)

8 hours ago, xWxzek said:

Streaming can also cost money. 

And if free streaming eats up your monthly data, throttling the rest of your month, what good is that? 

How small is your monthly data cap that streaming music would cause an issue? 

7 hours ago, Bilbo said:

How small is your monthly data cap that streaming music would cause an issue? 

I wonder. My cable internet at home is unlimited. My mobile cap is 14 GB monthly, and these days all of that is even usable with EU roaming. That covers a full holiday with mobile Netflix streaming.

Support streaming too much and in 10 years i'll be the only option.

Apple discontinuing some ipod models was the first step in not letting me listen to music the way I want to, and I'm sure it's going to get worse

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I do both - buy CDs and do streaming. The latter is a great way to explore new music.

This is also what I do. I buy the stuff I love and have a physical copy of it. 

But most of the music I listen to I just stream from Apple Music.

I detest paying for a subscription service for streaming music - music I don't own. I'd rather pay for CDs, rip them and play them through a range of devices I have, or play the CDs in a dedicated player. There's also the idea the CDs (as fragile as their cases are) that they're collectible pieces with the artwork and booklets, and their small size is great for storage or display. There are people who do buy vinyl for the ephemeral aspect too. I think ultimately the writing's on the wall for CD, sadly, there will of course exist limited markets for CD, but it's impossible for this niche to continue when studios and licensing would find it cheaper to provide digital releases of scores, as fledgling a market as it is already.

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What do you do when you want to sample complete albums that you don't yet own?

I download it with the intention of buying it when it is eventually and hopefully released. Though how does your question relate to the streaming factor? I doubt any bootleg scores are streaming on any service!

5 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I download it with the intention of buying it when it is eventually and hopefully released. Though how does your question relate to the streaming factor? I doubt any bootleg scores are streaming on any service!

So you only listen to bootlegs? :) I was of course referring to albums that exist in both streaming and CD format.

9 hours ago, Arpy said:

I detest paying for a subscription service for streaming music - music I don't own. I'd rather pay for CDs, rip them and play them through a range of devices I have, or play the CDs in a dedicated player. There's also the idea the CDs (as fragile as their cases are) that they're collectible pieces with the artwork and booklets, and their small size is great for storage or display. There are people who do buy vinyl for the ephemeral aspect too. I think ultimately the writing's on the wall for CD, sadly, there will of course exist limited markets for CD, but it's impossible for this niche to continue when studios and licensing would find it cheaper to provide digital releases of scores, as fledgling a market as it is already.

Yeah, I’m not interested in paying for a streaming service. Granted I get that with Amazon Prime but my main purpose for having that is for free shipping and deals on physical products.

I use Spotify to sample so the commercials don’t bother me. I was surprised to see I haven’t even used that in a year.

On 5/11/2019 at 4:00 AM, King Mark said:

Support streaming too much and in 10 years i'll be the only option.

Apple discontinuing some ipod models was the first step in not letting me listen to music the way I want to, and I'm sure it's going to get worse

No, the iPod became obsolete because of the iPhone. My iPhone holds more music than any previous generation iPod ever did. 

2 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

My iPhone holds more music than any previous generation iPod ever did. 

Obviously, because iPods stopped with a ceiling of 160 gigs. If they sold larger models, I didn't know about them and I missed out. I see iPhones being sold with 512 gigs storage, is just ludicrous but also awesome. 

My Android could play along by using larger microSD cards, but I don't use it as a music player. 

5 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

No, the iPod became obsolete because of the iPhone. My iPhone holds more music than any previous generation iPod ever did. 

Yeah. iPods stopped selling because people were using their iPhones for music instead. Between streaming and larger storage capacities there was no sense in keeping the iPod Classic or nano around. 

They still have the touch (and I have one) but that’s it. It hasn’t been updated for awhile but there’s a rumour of one coming. 

On 5/11/2019 at 10:46 AM, Arpy said:

This!

I refuse to pay for Spotify - I need to own the music. As I've said before, I'm starting to let go of CDs, with the recognition that digital downloads are quicker and more economical, and having the music matters way more than owning an object.

The one thing you lose by not owning a CD is being able to do gapless rips - a feature I only discovered earlier this year - ripping a section of a CD instead of separate tracks, so that tracks intended to flow into one another are ripped as one track.