Man Of Steel (2013 Superman reboot directed by Zack Snyder)

Luke Skywalker

I noticed that in the theater. A nice nod to Reeves and done in a respectful way. They also made Cavil look a lot like Welling in "that" flashback scene.

when he was in India battling those fake looking octopus like nano bullshit. What a pointless sequence.

when he was in India battling those fake looking octopus like nano bullshit. What a pointless sequence.

That was by far the lowest point of the movie. I can understand they needed some sort of dilemma to drag out the climatic victory over the world's destruction for purposes of suspense, but surely they could have come up with something more creative and mechanically plausible than fucking metal snakes.

It's also annoying in that it also features the most satisfying shot of the whole movie, as Superman digs deeper within himself than he thought possible. Great, rousing music during that moment, too.

I only remember the ascending two notes on the piano, I don't remember anything else.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I watched the film last week....

It's one of the worst things I've ever seen. There was so much potential but this is not Superman.

If you're saying it's not a Superman film just because of the ending... I don't know. That's a valid point people pose, but it's only one interpretation of the character. People still ignore that Superman killed Zod in Superman II, and no one complained about it then.

I watched the film last week....

It's one of the worst things I've ever seen. There was so much potential but this is not Superman.

If you're saying it's not a Superman film just because of the ending... I don't know. That's a valid point people pose, but it's only one interpretation of the character. People still ignore that Superman killed Zod in Superman II, and no one complained about it then.

Who said he meant the ending?

Karol

I don't know, you need to ask Matt C.

As for me, I'd say you can interpret the character this way, but there's something dire and dark about it that even Nolan objected to.

Karol

Half of the film Superman lays on the ground with his face in the dirt. He's not Superman, he's a crash test dummy.

In his childhood he shows several times his special forces but he doesn't even tried to rescue his father from the tornado!? C'mon...

Indeed. Johnathan's fear of the world not ready to accept his son could have been played out in a much better way. Though, it can also be used as a catalyst as to why Clark goes around the world saving people pre-Zod, as he is trying to make ammends with himself that he listened to his father and is trying to prove that their is a place in the world for him. Again, I like the idea just wish it was portrayed better.

Overall, I loved the film, warts and all. I really wish we got another film with just him before this set up for the JL, but Warner Bros. have bungled all their attempts and are taking drastic steps to stay relevant while Marvel spreads across film and tv.

Clark is really a bad luck charm. He's on the school bus, and the damn thing drops off the bridge, he's working on that fishing boat, and nearby oil rig burst into flames. He's outside with his parents and dog and huge tornado shows up. Keeping your distance from Clark probably avoids anyone becoming collateral damage

It's not "what" but "how" that bothers me. It's an awkward and unnatural moment.

Karol

So you love the idea that Superman doesn't save Jonathan and that he therefore dies?

No, I just think the idea could have been communicated better. As such, it doesn't make much sense to. Instead of feeling the tragedy I was saying to myself "no way".

Karol

The concept is fine, story is fine, Cavill is fine, Snyder is a strong choice for director, the actual script with the actual lines is weak.

Karol

If you put it like that then I have to agree.

Do you think depth is something they purposefully avoided?

I think they tried to accomplish too much in too little time and ended up with half-arsed film.

And, also, you have to admit the third act is way too overblown.

Karol

When they made this movie, I think they had two things on their mind. It had to be a non-goofy action flick (not a morality play like TDK or TDKR) ... and the action needed to show off super powers in a way we didn't see before in a Superman film (hence the non-stop destruction in act 3).

Alex

When they made this movie, I think they had two things on their mind. It had to be a non-goofy action flick (not a morality play like TDK or TDKR)

You're kidding, right?

Do you think depth is something they purposefully avoided?

There's more depth in brief moments such as Lara-El stroking her dead husband's armour, Kal-el raising his hand to the sun and Zod's pre-fight monologue to Kal, than in the soulless, dead-behind-the-eyes, ascetic entirety of Nolan's Batman trilogy.

• 10 months later...

Under 'Music appearing in the film and not included on the soundtrack' on Wikipedia's article for the soundtrack, it lists:

"The Long Walk" - Marco Beltrami, Buck Sanders

I'm assuming they meant this was licensed as a temp track and was kept, but where the hell does it play? I have no memory of it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...