John Powell kicks ass

Morlock

6 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

I completely forgot that I've never heard the original HTTYD until now! I've always owned the magnificent sequel score and hadn't gotten around to checking out the first one until now.

Envy

I wish I had that moment again. Just watched the movie again this weekend. Stand-alone the music is fantastic, but in the movie it is even better. I love the sequel just as much, it is a great evolution from the first score.

3 hours ago, Loert said:

in the first score, as Hiccup and Toothless grow to bond with each other, the music evolves to reflect that, and Powell does it all so lucidly. And in the final battle sequence, when Toothless is freed from the neck brace and launches out of the water, there's an equivalent "explosion" in the soundtrack as Powell brings back the Test Drive music in full force. Only this time, when the music reaches the "jet engine" moment in Test Drive, Powell instead does one of the most epic instances of VIb-I I've heard...of course, it is no "test" drive anymore. It is just such a masterpiece in terms of coherent storytelling through the medium of music and picture!

Quality post!

I'll never understand the love for that score, although your reasoning is very eloquently put.  I think it's reasonably good, MAYBE among Powell's top tier.  The first movie was okay.  The second one was pretty bad.

40 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I'll never understand the love for that score, although your reasoning is very eloquently put.  I think it's reasonably good, MAYBE among Powell's top tier.  The first movie was okay.  The second one was pretty bad.

What do you consider top-tier Powell?

Personally, I'd rate Chicken Run, Evolution, Shrek, United 93, and Horton Hears a Who over the HTTYD scores.  I'd probably call HTTYD on par with, quality-wise, maybe X-men 3, the Bourne scores.  Above average scores to mostly average movies.

I don't intend to be rude - I hold Powell in pretty high esteem.  He's among my top 10 living composers, although I don't follow every score like I do with many.  HTTYD has always just been more of a shrug for me for some reason.

Indeed. One of his finest moments. And proof that Powell could do wonders in a dramatic context. I always thought he should be given a Malick film or something (no, Endurance doesn't count), or any one of the latest string of prestige dramas.

45 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Personally, I'd rate Chicken Run, Evolution, Shrek, United 93, and Horton Hears a Who over the HTTYD scores.  I'd probably call HTTYD on par with, quality-wise, maybe X-men 3, the Bourne scores.  Above average scores to mostly average movies.

That's fair enough, I like those scores too, especially Chicken Run and Horton Hears A Who. The final act in the latter is really something!

35 minutes ago, publicist said:

He did a wonderful score in the late 90's called 'Endurance'. The final 11-minute cue is an early showcase why he's great, and it's imho alot better than his ADHS cartoon scores.

I don't think you can really compare "The Final Race" to obvious piss-takes like this:

There's room for both more meaningful scores like "Endurace" and "ADHS cartoon scores".

19 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

He should get Jurassic World 3!

That's exactly the kind of junk he shouldn't.

2 minutes ago, Loert said:

There's room for both more meaningful scores like "Endurace" and "ADHS cartoon scores".

Yeah. Right now i see too much room for the latter.

27 minutes ago, KK said:

Indeed. One of his finest moments. And proof that Powell could do wonders in a dramatic context. I always thought he should be given a Malick film or something (no, Endurance doesn't count), or any one of the latest string of prestige dramas.

Well he did work on The Thin Red Line ;)

Either way, it appears only Hanan Townshend can appease Malick’s idiosycrancies these days. 

4 minutes ago, publicist said:

Yeah. Right now i see too much room for the latter.

You mean that there aren't enough cartoon scores being written? I agree!

;)

1 minute ago, publicist said:

Preferably by someone else than Powell. He's kind of spent in that department and has much richer resources.

I don't entirely disagree.

10 minutes ago, publicist said:

Most of it is no good (Powell agrees), though sometimes it yields great results:

Like a Powell-ized "Jupiter" knock-off?

EDIT: There's definitely some good stuff in here.

I have a bias for cartoon music in general, but I can understand if others would want more than what 70% of his filmography may appear to offer. I'd argue there's more emotional variety to his work than what may meet the ear/eye, but as someone who spent nearly forty dollars to get just about 20-ish minutes of Horner and Broughton Roger Rabbit goodness, I've grasped that I'm eccentric in what my ears crave.

With Powell it's easy to spot the good and the not so good - i'd wager 'Mars needs Moms' contains his most weighty stuff in the genre, it has the drama needed to offset the avalanche of bustling, overly active animation music. There are a several nuggets in Kung Fu Panda and Ice Age, too, but really, who wants to wade through all the frenetic winks, bells and whistles to find them?

I'm willing to wade through too - though with me I don't see it as "wading", but listening to and appreciating the music, which ultimately is tied to the film, so that I don't really understand the complaint of the music not being "dramatic" enough or whatever. I just think that Powell is more skillful at what he does than others (note: more skillful =/= more notes per bar, more instruments, more complex harmony and rhythm, etc...)

I get that cartoon music on its own is an acquired taste, but shucks, it's fun if you find ones that particularly resonate with your soulful self. 

Having to 'wade through' the wacky stuff is to me the same kind of obstacle as having to wade through the blander underscores when waiting for action music or theme declarations in live-action film scoring where you might as well be listening to a fan blowing. 

I'm a big fan of Powell's "cartoon music". Sure it can be frenetic (cartoon music in general is), but it's entertaining and frenetic. Plus Powell knows how to compose good themes, and his use of the orchestra is great. He's one of my favorite composers currently working for a reason. Love his HTTYD, Kung-Fu Panda, and Ice Age scores. Chicken Run is also a lot of fun, and I'm looking forward to Han Solo, should be good. 

I'm not sure why the album version of the opening cue is a little different than the film's, but either version provides immense chills so I never minded. It's just a curiosity anyhow.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...