John Powell kicks ass

Morlock

4 hours ago, Jay said:

If the music is good, why does it matter who composed what parts?

Don't be thick. I don't want them to just use John Powell's themes, I want him to be the composer for this project -- just as you've probably wanted Williams to return for every Harry Potter or Star Wars installment over the years. Does that mean non-Williams Potter or Star Wars music is bad? Of course not. But he'd still be your preference. It's the same with co-composer credits.

A little while ago Powell teased a picture of a "cue grid" for an upcoming film on FB, although he didn't say which film it was for:

12814782_1711545442402084_50092393933187

But given that Jason Bourne is coming out in summer, I'm pretty sure then that this grid applies to Jason Bourne, which would mean that Powell has been working properly on the film as a composer (and not just themes). :w00t:

2 hours ago, amh1219 said:

Don't be thick. I don't want them to just use John Powell's themes, I want him to be the composer for this project -- just as you've probably wanted Williams to return for every Harry Potter or Star Wars installment over the years. Does that mean non-Williams Potter or Star Wars music is bad? Of course not. But he'd still be your preference. It's the same with co-composer credits.

Oh I dunno. I never paid attention to who wrote what in Star Trek First Contact, I just like the whole score. Same with Air Force One. Or The Rock.

Whether or not I enjoy a score is all that matters.

Oh snap.... That's how the Age of Ultron credits worked too.

"Music by Brian Tyler Danny Elfman"

• 2 months later...

Apparently TheGreyPilgrim knows something:

On 1/4/2016 at 5:56 PM, crocodile said:

Sounds really good. Is there going to be an album release?

Karol

On 1/4/2016 at 6:36 PM, TheWhiteRider said:

I'm pretty sure yes, paired with another piece I can't remember at the moment. 

On 1/29/2016 at 9:19 PM, Matt C said:

Will there be a CD release for Prussian Requiem?

On 1/29/2016 at 9:43 PM, TheWhiteRider said:

Yes.

None that I've seen, no.

Between grieving for his wife, raising their child without her, and his duties to Jason Bourne, he could be too busy to oversee a CD release right now.

11 minutes ago, karelm said:

But that was half a year ago.  No news since?

Elfman recorded Rabbit & Rogue two years ago (or was it three?). It might take a long time.

Karol

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Is there supposed to be a Soundcloud player link embedded or something?  It's not showing up for me.

EDIT: Nevermind, now it is.  Hope he gets to more exciting films than Stealing Sinatra

Some films have no release because no one wants one.  I'm not saying this is bad music, it's a nice cue.  So I guess this is the best use of Soundcloud, putting up tracks no one would pay for.  I've talked myself out of my original view. Carry on, Mr. Powell

• 1 month later...

Whilst clearly this is an homage, it is basically plagiarism too: Powell's Hancock score - 0:22

Also I noticed that Bates' Guardians of the Galaxy main theme is the same as Powell's Hancock main theme. Though they are both pretty simple.

2:15 - 2:30.

What do you mean? The Superman rythm pattern wasn't *invented* by Williams.

In fact, I remember hearing it in a Brahms or Shostakovich symphony.

I understand it's supposed to be a homage to Williams but saying it's plagiarism is ridiculous.

Yes, I think it's just a tongue-in-cheek homage. I wouldn't be surprised if the director specifically asked for that reference. 

But compare these...

6:26 of Stargate:

with 2:14 of Pan:

Powell's version is a tad more upbeat, though. peanut-butter-jelly-time.gif

13 hours ago, Muad'Dib said:

What do you mean? The Superman rythm pattern wasn't *invented* by Williams.

In fact, I remember hearing it in a Brahms or Shostakovich symphony.

I understand it's supposed to be a homage to Williams but saying it's plagiarism is ridiculous.

I'm not accusing him of plagiarism, I'm saying that it is an homage, but sometimes an homage is identical to the original that it's basically plagiarism too. 

In this case, it isn't really identical. And it sounds clearly like a deliberate tongue-in-cheek reference to Williams' score.

On 06/09/2016 at 6:04 PM, loert said:

livingwithagenius has done an almost 2h interview with John Powell. Here is Part 1, Part 2 will be up next week:

And Part 2:

This one has some cool insights into how Powell deals with the directors and producers of the films he works on, as well as his relationship with Hans Zimmer and what one has to do to impress the "King".

• 1 month later...

I looked for a Henry Jackman thread, but then I thought I might as well put that here given that I can probably tell the name of the temp track while listening to this :lol: The more the cue goes on, the more it is obvious.  

I know I know this is a troll. But I really looked for a thread about Temp Tracking. It could be fun to post 2 videos where we think a film has been temp tracked with an other :) 

True story:  A Beautiful Mind was heavily temp-tracked with Kraemer's The Way Of The Gun score, with some of Horner's cues being so similar, when Universal put the deleted scenes on the DVD at least one of them still contained Kraemer's music instead of Horner's :P

• 3 months later...

We watched a dumb 90s rom com last night called Forces of Nature and I was surprised when I saw John Powell's name in the opening credits as the composer; Must have been one of his first scores.  It was a mostly forgettable background score, but one cue stood out as very Bourne like!

• 3 weeks later...

That last segment had quite an effect when I saw it live...the tenor turns around to face the choir, which I suppose gestured "facing the consequences". I was all teary-eyed!

This excerpt is deeply moving and very beautiful and just makes me need to hear more. @publicist, RVW and Britten are great models of British dramatic choral writing so anything that comes close to those examples are fine with me. What I heard in this excerpt is very fine writing and I wish to hear the work in its entirety.