23 hours ago, crocodile said:

I was listening to this interview last night actually. The anecdote (starting at around 41-minute mark) about Powell presenting his L3 material/sketches to Williams was hilarious. 😂

Karol

Thank you for pointing that out. I didn’t have time to listen to the whole interview, but I was dying listening to that anecdote. Everyone here should listen to that part if they can.

Another interview:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/2/26/18240326/how-to-train-your-dragon-music-score-soundtrack-john-powell

This one has lots of interesting info which I wasn't aware of before (e.g. didn't know about the viola/tuba thing...)

Also, as a huge fan of Trevor Horn, it's nice to hear Powell speaks so highly of him, and "Slave to the Rhythm" (one of my favourite tracks ever) in particular.

Powell has become my favourite current composer based off my early foray into Bourne, then X-Men 3, then of course How to Train Your Dragon (a trilogy of scores that's up there with Star Wars and LoTR, methinks). Solo is a riot, and now I'm interested in many of his other works... but am put off by cutesy Dreamworks silliness. I have tried Happy Feet 1 & 2, and while it has his flavour, I can't feel its coherence and I don't care for its origins. Any other suggestions?

Flower Festival is where it's at, baby. 

And Father and Son. And Bull Olympics. And Highway Chase. And Madrid Finale! 

Grandpa's expressed more than once that it's one of the best scores he's heard in a decade, and if my grandpa's praising something, then it MUST be good! Getting his seal of approval ain't easy.

3 minutes ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Flower Festival is where it's at, baby. 

And Father and Son. And Bull Olympics. And Highway Chase. And Madrid Finale! 

Grandpa's expressed more than once that it's one of the best scores he's heard in a decade, and if my grandpa's praising something, then it MUST be good! Getting his seal of approval ain't easy.

The last two minutes of "Finding Home".... holy moly.  Stunning work from Powell.

So, who has listened to Endurance?

I've just watched Endurance after delving into the score for 3 weeks, a fascinating early one from Powell. Eager to know where it came from, I enjoyed the drama-documentary and the tracking of the music wasn't even that disappointing! As an instant-fan of the score I was disappointed that The Final Race wasn't featured in it's crescendo entirety... does anybody know what music was used instead? Was it the Ethiopian national anthem?