Intrada's Sept. 23rd Release, Something Special?

Ollie

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It won't be Back to the Future. It will be one of those obscure scores guessed at the Intrada forum for the 1000 copies one, and then again a Goldsmith one for the 5000.

If Back to the Future ever gets released and is limited to a mere 1000 copies, there's going to be a s@#tstorm about it.

If you're not in, you can't win

Yeah, it would likely be a single disc. On the other hand, we don't know for sure how many alternates or unused music there is (I'm pretty confident that the segment of the Overture devoted to "The Letter" is an alternate take from the film version, and the "Lyon Estates" cue definitely has an alternate ending from the original on the boot, not just an edit) and the source music provides interesting possibilities, such as album vs. film version(s) of stuff like "Earth Angel" and "Johnny B. Goode." In fact, one of the biggest thing I look forward to seeing in an official complete release of BTTF is how they handle the whole Enchantment Under the Sea sequence.

On the other hand, could they somehow fit all three scores on two discs? I don't recall how long they are, but BTTF2 is quite short on CD at least according to my memory.

No.

Complete scores for Back to the Future part II and Back to the Future III take up an entire disc each.

Ok. It's not like I desperately need it anyway. A full release of the first score someday plus a copy of the third album should be satisfactory. I'll be much more excited if it's Masada.

Yes, the Varese album was just 30 minutes but I'm not sure if it's a re-recording. I think Goldsmith scored the first 2 espisodes and then Morton Stevens scored the second half of the series. They could release just Goldsmith's music and then add the album to disc 2.

I've heard the complete Masada score bootleg and the original album, and the album does sound it's a re-recording, in similar fashion to Jaws.

Masada is one of my Holy Grails. I really hope it will be one of the Monday releases.

I thought the third one was hard to get, and that's why a few selections were included on the re-rec? I only have I and II.

not at all. They were included on the re-rec because Varese ahd the rights and no reason to pay the RSNO to record it. BTTF II is the hard one to get.

Does anyone know if the original soundtrack to The Ten Commandments has ever been released on CD? I have a re-recording of some of the score that Bernstein did in the (I think) 1980's or 1990's but I was wondering if an original recording has ever been released.

Does anyone know if the original soundtrack to The Ten Commandments has ever been released on CD? I have a re-recording of some of the score that Bernstein did in the (I think) 1980's or 1990's but I was wondering if an original recording has ever been released.

MCAD 42320 [apparently a 1959 re-recording]

For more information on other releases of the soundtrack, see the Soundtrack Collector list.

I've owned the one that Alan gives in the link since 1999. I think the liner notes of the CD mention how long after the movie's release that particular session of music was recorded, but I don't remember as it's been a while since I read it.

Someone mentioned in this message board a few weeks ago there was a German boot of more music from the movie, but it's out of print/hard to find (i.e. royally expensive), and not the best audio quality, so I'm not even wasting my time. I hold out hope for a more complete release of the original recording or rerecording sometime in the future, but until then, the CD I've got is good enough for me.

As Tadlow's El Cid shows us, there is definitely a market for high quality re-recordings of important scores where a complete representation on disc doesn't exist, lacks material, or is of bad audio quality. As long as the music is performed and recorded based on the original intent of the composer, I really don't care if it's not the original recording, because I just want the music. And El Cid has beautiful audio quality.

I've owned the one that Alan gives in the link since 1999. I think the liner notes of the CD mention how long after the movie's release that particular session of music was recorded, but I don't remember as it's been a while since I read it.

Someone mentioned in this message board a few weeks ago there was a German boot of more music from the movie, but it's out of print/hard to find (i.e. royally expensive), and not the best audio quality, so I'm not even wasting my time. I hold out hope for a more complete release of the original recording or rerecording sometime in the future, but until then, the CD I've got is good enough for me.

As Tadlow's El Cid shows us, there is definitely a market for high quality re-recordings of important scores where a complete representation on disc doesn't exist, lacks material, or is of bad audio quality. As long as the music is performed and recorded based on the original intent of the composer, I really don't care if it's not the original recording, because I just want the music. And El Cid has beautiful audio quality.

I have that MCA version too, but I don't find a info when these where made. The only year I can find is 1989.. well but thats the year this CD got released

also I have this bootleg, got it on a market.

Ten_Commandments_CD72.jpg

The sound is OK. no hiss removal distortion, but cues difere in volume. one cue is moderate, the next is blasting out of your speakers! For all my life I wanted a proper 2/3 CD release of The 10 Commandments...

Well, you know whenever a real holy grail like Alien is released, then some lesser Goldsmith becomes the new holy grail ,like Innerspace which isn't very good.

Gremlins and STTMP complete are probably the last 2 real Goldsmith Holy grails

At least I've always considered Family Plot a holy grail,and Black Sunday or Sugerland Express will never be one.

I'm going to be up anyway so I might just as well take a look what Goldsmith score it is.

It might not be a Goldsmith score.

;)

Here's hoping it's not. Nothing against Goldsmith, but I agree with King Mark about Gremlins and STTMP being the list of Goldsmith scores that could be considered grail scores by many people. Intrada has already said that it isn't Gremlins and Goldsmith okayed the expanded release of STTMP, so I don't expect a complete version of that any time soon.

The clock keeps ticking and soon we'll know. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1000 release is The Philadelphia Experiment.

Don't forget now that Goldsmith is no longer with us Intrada can release what ever score they can from him if they are able to. I think Intrada recently released a score that Goldsmith didn't want to even be released on CD (The Vanishing, I think?) but Intrada managed to get it released after he passed away.

The Vanishing was Varese, and according to Robert Townson, the prevalaint theory that Goldsmith did not want too much of his music out there was exaggerated.

Here's hoping it's not. Nothing against Goldsmith, but I agree with King Mark about Gremlins and STTMP being the list of Goldsmith scores that could be considered grail scores by many people. Intrada has already said that it isn't Gremlins and Goldsmith okayed the expanded release of STTMP, so I don't expect a complete version of that any time soon.

The clock keeps ticking and soon we'll know. I wouldn't be surprised if the 1000 release is The Philadelphia Experiment.

Nope, already released last year.

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=1088

Nope, already released last year.

http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=1088

Goes to show how uninterested I am in getting it.