FSM Releases Williams' "Goodbye, Mr. Chips"!

robthehand

Don't get me wrong, I like the songs a lot. I just want something to add to my strictly orchestral Williams canon, especially for the purpose of listening to at work (I try to keep it all instrumental for the sake of my co-worker). Plus I don't always want to sift through the songs and demos to try and appreciate Williams' more obvious contributions to this film.

No disrespect to Mr. Briccuse!

Fair enough.

Overture: Goodbye, Mr. Chips

Flossie from Fulham Overture and Play-On

Pompeii

Katherine Overhears

First Act Finale

Entr'acte and What Shall I Do With Today? (includes a song, obviously)

Fifteenth Anniversary

The Postcard (And the Sky Smiled Reprise) (mostly score)

When I Was Younger and Chips Resign (mostly score)

Chips Accepts

Very Pleased

Katherine's Death

The Boys React

Exit Music (You and I Orchestral Reprise)

First Act Finale (Alternative)

End Title (Film Version)

Savoy (Source Music)

Pompeii (Alternative)

Katherine's Party Piano (Source Music)

First Act Finale (Alternative #2)

Ursula's Party (Source Music)

Ursula's Memory (Source Music)

End Title (Alternative)

Overture: Goodbye, Mr. Chips (Album version)

Entr'acte and What Shall I Do With Today? (Album version)

You and I (Orchestral Reprise)

Huh? What recording of "the boulder chase" is this... not familiar with it? It's not the Original Soundtrack Recording....

ah maybe from that life concert..like the others.. and ahhh the E.T. finale story again :-)

Huh? What recording of "the boulder chase" is this... not familiar with it? It's not the Original Soundtrack Recording....

ah maybe from that life concert..like the others.. and ahhh the E.T. finale story again :-)

Quoted for posterity.

Neil

Quoted for posterity.

Neil

sorry wrong topic.. meant to be in the jW interview topic of course

Quoted for posterity.

Neil

sorry wrong topic.. meant to be in the jW interview topic of course

One more quote to add to the confusion. Ahhhh.. JWFan!

• 3 months later...

Just wondering whether it's worth getting. I do enjoy Williams' work in Fiddler on the Roof and I generally do like musicals. It doesn't even seem that bad a price at SAE, considering its 3 discs.

I say get it. I've listened to the whole thing maybe half a dozen times since getting it, and it's steadily been growing on me. It's nowhere near the quality level of Fiddler on the Roof, but it's still pretty good, and the care shown the music by the FSM folk is just phenomenal.

• 7 years later...

Resurrecting this old thread.  Tom Sawyer has reminded me that I let this slip away without getting it.

Any more reactions?  I actually enjoy Bricuisse's score to Scrooge, so is this worth tracking down?

• 3 years later...

Congrats, rough cut. It's become somewhat of a 'holy grail' for me -- the last missing physical CD I need of John Williams' film work (well, and the STANLEY & IRIS album, solely because of PETE'N'TILLIE). But it's always way out of my price league.

Thanks, I’ve been looking for it for a while as well. I got it at a fair price finally.

I have to say, the sound quality is amazing for being a soundtrack from the 60s!

...and also, there are some real JW gems on here!

• 11 months later...

While I wait for an opportunity to get this 3CD set to an affordable price, I've acquired it digitally. Yesterday, I spent some time going through the material to create a decent playlist that at least allows for better listening - a 78-minute album in total. Thought I'd share the result here. My approach was similar to TOM SAWYER - first part is the OST, second part the original JW compositions. And then at some later point in time, I might find a way to merge both of them into one singular listening experience. But for now, they're separated.

So the result is in the image below. The only change I did to Disc 1 (the OST) is to exchange "When I Was Younger" with the film version "When I Was Younger and Chips Resigns", because I liked the instrumental extension at the end. On Disc 2, I've assembled all the score cues, while putting "First Act Finale" at the end, because it works as a good climax - especially after the two dire tracks "Katherine's Death" and "The Boys React". For now, I have all the original JW source cues at the very end (some fun, 30s music!), and putting in "Integer Vitae" as a break for variety, but not sure if this is an original JW composition or a classical piece.

This means I can delete my old LP-to-CD iTunes rip, because the sound is superior here. But I'll hang on to the physical CD-R itself untill I get the set.

chips.jpg

Looks great!

Tonight, I hosted a dinner party. Playing in the background was a JW-jazz-&-source-playlist I’ve put together from his early jazz career, as well as selected cues and source cues from his movie scores, mostly the early stuff.

Obviously, Goodbye Mr. Chips makes up for quite a few tracks.

Throughout the night, it put a smile on my face knowing I was listening to the maestro, all the while unsuspecting guests were complementing the cool jazz that was accompanying the evening.

That's great. I can easily hear those cues working in a 'party' environment. Incidentally, it's the first time I heard these source tracks myself. Some of the 30s 'charleston'-type music reminded me of the 'faux-silent-movie' stuff he wrote for THE KATHERINE REED STORY and SILENT FILM MONTAGE.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/21/2020 at 4:59 PM, rough cut said:

Tonight, I hosted a dinner party. Playing in the background was a JW-jazz-&-source-playlist I’ve put together from his early jazz career, as well as selected cues and source cues from his movie scores, mostly the early stuff.

Obviously, Goodbye Mr. Chips makes up for quite a few tracks.

Throughout the night, it put a smile on my face knowing I was listening to the maestro, all the while unsuspecting guests were complementing the cool jazz that was accompanying the evening.

Can you post this playlist?

On 8/21/2020 at 10:59 PM, rough cut said:

Did you tell them that it was JW? If so, how did they react?

5 hours ago, bruce marshall said:

Shouldn't this be in the JW forum?

Or, are you too embarrassed?😉

The thread was originally posted before there was a separate JW forum. It only came "back" now because I resurrected it with my playlist a few days ago. So I guess Jay needs to move it.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

The thread was originally posted before there was a separate JW forum. It only came "back" now because I resurrected it with my playlist a few days ago. So I guess Jay needs to move it.

I see.

I thought maybe Shark didn't want fans to know he likes musicals.

😆

On 03/09/2020 at 5:58 AM, rough cut said:

Sure!

Thanks, looks like a super fun playlist!

... don't the Cantina Band cues stick out like a sore thumb, though?

Guilty pleasure! And it sits just fine stylistically in the jazz/muzak/charleston/disco/swing-mix of musical genres that makes up this assortment of cues.

As I pointed out, for those unfamiliar with Star Wars, it went by unnoticed.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

In the latest episode of Maurizio's The Legacy of John Williams podcast, Mike Matessino, Tim Burden, and Maurizio have a lengthy, informative conversation about Goodbye, Mr. Chips

MM also indicates that he would like to see the FSM expansion back in print, perhaps as a digital album released by WB themselves since they now own all the rights

https://thelegacyofjohnwilliams.com/2022/01/29/remembering-leslie-bricusse/

The Mr. Chips discussion begins about 38 minutes in, but the entire episode is well worth a listen!

There was so much talk of Mr. Chips, I need another listen, so to the top of the pile it rose.  Great podcast!  (There is even a mention of Ian Fraser's adaptation of Williams for the Star Wars Holiday Special!)

I recommend anyone who wants the physical 3CD, check Discogs frequently, or do what I did.... do a "Saved Search" for it on eBay.  I did that and was able to get one last year for a little more than retail.

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

Making the music available for all to hear is the most important thing

No... No.... NOOOOO...

The most important thing is to have the damn thing in my CD collection.

11 hours ago, Hedji said:

I recommend anyone who wants the physical 3CD, check Discogs frequently, or do what I did.... do a "Saved Search" for it on eBay.  I did that and was able to get one last year for a little more than retail.

I've tried that a few times, but alas, the price is still too steep for me.