The Official South Park Thread

Koray Savas

American Dad is dumb. Family Guy is dumb. Simpsons are long past their prime. Bob's Burgers looks dumb. I'm sure Archer is good, I just never gave it a shot. I don't watch anything on Adult Swim.

• 2 weeks later...

South Park 19x02 Where My Country Gone?

Great stuff! A lot of the stuff that seemed odd last week pay off this week. The new principal is turning out to be a great new character. All the Candian stuff was just hilarious this week! I loved the return of the flaping heads and square car wheels, but also the "friend/buddy/pal/guy" stuff is still so funny every time! If there was any problem it's that it felt rushed; Basically as soon as Garrison found the new PM, the episode was almost over. Probably should have been a 2 parter, where he discovers the PM this week, and everything gets resolved next week. This would have given the storyline of Butters dating the Candian girl much more weight, too, as it also felt rushed. Still, lots of hilarity here!

19x03 "The City Part of Town"

A really uneven episode. Some parts were excellent (the SoDoSoPa/CtPaTown commercials had me choking with laughter, the responses to "Jimmy Fallon") but the "child labor" subplot was pretty bland. Either way, this episode feels very un-South Park. I'm not saying it's bad, just very different from the South Park of old. I miss the speeches, and I miss the story being told from a "child's" perspective. So far this season, the narrative arcs have been focalized at a much greater distance than in earlier episodes. I miss the license that "resetting" after every episode gave the writers to take things as far as they could possibly go without worrying about they way one episode might flow into the next. (On the other hand, that license didn't always work in the show's favor - I would have loved to see more of post-Conversion-to-Judaism Cartman from "Jewpacabra.") The way the multi-episode arcs have been shaped so far this season seems like a taming factor for the show, which is an odd direction for a show once infamous for being so over-the-top.

American Dad is dumb. Family Guy is dumb. Simpsons are long past their prime. Bob's Burgers looks dumb. I'm sure Archer is good, I just never gave it a shot. I don't watch anything on Adult Swim.

American Dad at its best is actually really good. I think a lot of people dismiss it assuming it's the same formula as Family Guy (which I can't stand, by the way), whereas they're actually two very distinct shows. Especially around the middle of the show, there were plotlines and long-setup jokes that I couldn't see being done on any other show.

South Park 19x03 The City Part of Town

Hilarious! All the satire here was so spot on, the hipster and whole foods culture, etc. And loved the return of the City Wok guy and he war against them. Funny all around!

The best bits were the commercials - so hilarious! Especially when the City Wok guy narrated one!

• 3 weeks later...

South Park 19x04 You're Not Yelping

This was hilarious to me, because my wife is a long time Yelper and we've gone to many "Yelp Elite" events. This episode is obviously a huge exaggeration of some of the struggles some restaurants are facing in the Yelp era, which would never affect a small town like South Park anyway :P Cartman was great as always, and I loved the Boogers and Cum song at the end :)

South Park 19x05 Safe Space

Another good one. Classic South Park where there are two simultaneous, basically unconnected plots, and then a backwards ending to one is used as a twisted resolution to the other. Randy's dealing with the Whole Foods clerk was just as funny as Butters dealing with everyone's twitter. Funny stuff.

South Park sucks in season 19. Yelping was okay but the last episode had that Piece of Shit PC principal ruined a potentionally okay show.

South Park sucks in season 19. Yelping was okay but the last episode had that Piece of Shit PC principal ruined a potentionally okay show.

PC Principal is hilarious! "All right everyone listen up. Today we're going to be showing you some art from our Asian American students and DAMNIT LESLIE SHUT YOUR FUCKING PIEHOLE!"

• 2 weeks later...

South Park 19x07 Naughty Ninjas

Now that is a great, old-fashioned South Park episode, and easily the highlight of the season so far. It's not even something I can easily summarize for a few-sentence review. Just comedy gold.

South Park 19x08 Sponsored Content

Definitely the weakest of the season so far. The twist (I won't spoil it) is just dumb, and undermines (what I assumed was) the point of the season. There are some great Jimmy and PC Principal moments ("One microagression! One!"), but overall it's just not an episode with many jokes that work.

• 2 months later...

South Park 19x06 Tweek x Craig

Hilarious, all the yaoi stuff with Tweek and Craig was great, as was all of Cartman's cupid stuff!  Very funny.

South Park 19x07 Naughty Ninjas

Pretty funny with the the adults thinking the kids playing as ninjas are ISIS.  The runner with Barbrady shooting kids was funny too.

• 2 weeks later...

South Park 19x08 Sponsored Content

Hilarious the way Jimmy was detecting ads from real content, and then identifying the girl as an ad.  Also funny was the frat house stuff and the alternate description for "PC" :)  THey  have a strong season arc going here, but it will all come down to if they can stick the landing...

South Park 19x09 Truth and Advertising

The bits when they would get distracted by ads and end up in various stories was pretty funny.  Other than that, not a lot to write home about here, more of a "putting the pieces in place" kind of episode to setup for the finale.  

South Park 19x10 PC Principal Final Justice

Kind of a mess, right?  The gun stuff was funny but overall it felt like they just had too many ideas going on and this wasn't really a rewarding ending to the season long arc.  Some funny moments but the season won't go down as an all time classic.  I guess South Park is better when it does 2 or 3 part episodes; The 10 episode season arcs are too ambitious I guess, or they just haven't figured out how to make it fully satisfying yet.  Oh well.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Comedy Central has recently been added to my TV channels and the seasons from 2012 to last year are in the on-demand thingy, so I've been catching up (I've seen very little of it since it left Channel 4 here in the UK).  

Watched 'Member Berries' last night, thought it was pretty good. 

I only caught onto the gag in the title of The Fractured But Whole last night :blush: .

South Park 20x01 Member Berries

Well, I thought this was kind of a clusterfuck.  They'd tried to cover too many topics in one episode - nostalgia, JJ Abrams, Colin Kapernick not standing for the national anthem, the election, online bullying, female comedians, Ghostbusters... it was too much!

But this is modern South Park, where they don't try to make standout solo episodes anymore, but season-long arcs.  So I suppose this is largely a setup for big things they hav planned for the weeks ahead.  I'll be along for the ride.  Even a bad episode of South Park is better than more comedies made these days

South Park 20x02 Skank Hunt

Yikes.  I can't remember the last time I laughed that little at a South Park episode.  I mean, really just didn't enjoy it whatsoever.  The conflation of social media with someone's life was done much better in "You Have Zero Friends," and there's nothing else to carry the episode.  The "going to the woods" gag was, likewise, done better in "Toilet Paper."  The suicide jokes just got tiresome, and this is a show that managed to make serial suicide in a conversion therapy camp funny somehow ("Cartman Sucks").  I just have no idea what the intended tone is here.  South Park does light, witty observational humor and really dark conceptional humor equally well, but this just seemed like re-treading old territory with a lighter touch.  Mackey's growing frustration with whoever that new kid is was somewhat funny, though.

Scott Malkinson? He's been around awhile. I spaced out during the woods scene though. 

I'd like to think this season will be a slow burn, like Better Call Saul, with episodes where little to nothing happens until the payoff later on. Or the joke is a season long serving of dramatic irony. 

I'm laughing a lot more in Legends of Chamberlain High. The Brangelina joke was timely. This show is so offensive it's hilarious. 

7 minutes ago, WojinPA said:

Scott Malkinson? He's been around awhile. I spaced out during the woods scene though. 

I'd like to think this season will be a slow burn, like Better Call Saul, with episodes where little to nothing happens until the payoff later on. Or the joke is a season long serving of dramatic irony. 

I'm laughing a lot more in Legends of Chamberlain High. The Brangelina joke was timely. This show is so offensive it's hilarious. 

It's been so long since Scott Malkinson's been around I forgot that was him.  I turned of Legends off Chamberlain Heights after about 30 seconds.  It was just painful to watch.

South Park 20x02 Skank Hunt

Started out pretty funny, with the supposed suicide actually being someone leaving social media, etc.  Another really funny part was Mr Garrison's exasperation at having to listen to that one kid :lol: I also liked the supposed murder of Cartman actually being them destroying his video games :lol: But the main story of Kyle's dad trolling people and gleefully enjoying it was kinda not strong enough to hang most of an episode on.  I suppose we're building up to something, so we'll see

South Park 20x03 The Damned

Well, that's more like it - more consistent laughs this week, and the storylines all moved at a good pace.  Seems the member berries are causing trouble, perhaps with a goal in mind - everyone is flipping sides on their presidential candidate of choice (Garrison is really funny as the Trump stand in).  Everyone who left Twitter ("You don't just leave social media, you write a post about why you're leaving social media!") and actually hanging out in parks (which makes me wonder why they haven't done Pokemon Go yet).  Kyle's dad has been found out by someone (I thought it was going to be Ike before he did), and the funniest laugh came at the end, Cartman's final line was hilarious

On 9/30/2016 at 0:25 AM, Jay said:

South Park 20x03 The Damned

Well, that's more like it - more consistent laughs this week, and the storylines all moved at a good pace.  Seems the member berries are causing trouble, perhaps with a goal in mind - everyone is flipping sides on their presidential candidate of choice (Garrison is really funny as the Trump stand in).  Everyone who left Twitter ("You don't just leave social media, you write a post about why you're leaving social media!") and actually hanging out in parks (which makes me wonder why they haven't done Pokemon Go yet).  Kyle's dad has been found out by someone (I thought it was going to be Ike before he did), and the funniest laugh came at the end, Cartman's final line was hilarious

That's the best ending to a South Park episode I can remember in a very, very long time.

• 3 weeks later...

South Park 20x04 Weiners Out

Butters never disappoints!  He was hilarious in this episode.  The weiners out sequence during the national anthem was really funny.  I also enjoyed Gerald and Dildo Schwaggins, but Gerald getting peed on was gross (but funny).  Cartman and his girlfriend was pretty good too, but you know its not gonna have a happy ending (Cartman will never get one).  No Garrison / Trump stuff this week, which was odd

It's a shame the preview for the episode spoiled the boys' weiner walk down the hall, one of the three such times in the episode. 

This past week's episode was pretty low on laughs. Aside from the girls' reactions. 

Preview?  Like, commercials on the tv chanel?  I don't have cable, so wouldn't know anything about that

South Park 20x05 Douche and a Danish

Pretty good advancement of all the storylines this week... member berries, TrollTrace, Gerald & Dildo Schwaggins, the digs on Danish people, Garrison as Trump not actually wanting to be president, etc.  I liked that they brought in the real world stuff of Trump saying stuff about women as instead now being him doing a Dice Clay ish bit on stage, though seems like a missed opportunity that they could of had a news channel "uncover" some old recording of Garrison when he was a school teacher - or when he was Mrs Garrison (but that wouldn't really jive with him being their Trump surrogate).  Cartman and Heidi continues to be good stuff, 

Them bring Force Awakens and JJ Abrams back into things was pretty funny too

Enjoyed last night's. 

Recently caught the ep where Cartman decides he's transgender ... hilarious, smart skewering of both sides of the 'bathroom rights' debate. 

'If you don't agree with me, you can suck my clit AND my balls'. 

South Park 20x06 Fort Collins

Another funny one.  All the plots advanced again, I especially enjoyed Denmark attacking Fort Collins, Colorado, a nicely over the top sequence.  Gerald finally realizing he was being trolled by Dildo Schwaggins was funny too, and Cartman's The Martian-inspired dream sequences.

South Park 20x06 Fort Collins

I think they might just be trying to pack too much stuff in.  There's a lot here in isolation that's great - Randy's member berry torture, Cartman's dream sequences, the destruction of Fort Collins, the bizarre member berry road trip... but it just doesn't fit together all that well.

10 hours ago, Jay said:

Gerald finally realizing he was being trolled by Dildo Schwaggins

Really?  I took the point of that scene to be that Gerald's so far gone that Dildo Schwaggins can actually be sincere and Gerald isn't capable of realizing it.