Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

I bought The Godfather a while back (Amazon had it for $25), and i just showed up today. About to watch the first one now. :)

you paid 25 bucks, you got ripped off. it's only 10.99 now.

If you really need the clarification, I got the Godfather Collection. Considering it's at $39.99 now, I'd say I made out pretty well.

or just grab a torrent.

That's why they stopped the show.

No. They stopped the show because the Fox emitted it out of order and constantly changing the day and hour, and thus nobody saw it at the time.

If anything, torrent saved the show afterwards, allowing it become popular.

No money, no show.

Too bad my plea for buying Firefly at a ridiculous price will only lead to more illegal downloading. Sorry, artists, at least I tried.

Alex

No money, no show.

What? Have you read my post? Fox hated the show, requested a new pilot, and managed for no one to see it on TV. Then went with the "no one is seeing it" and cancelled it. Downloading had nothing to do with it, it's the first time I read such a suggestion. Remember it was 2002. It was later though the Internet that the show became popular among the geekdom and also developed great DVD sales. Get your shit straight.

Soon we all be playing Scrabble again.

About my signature, I found it on the internet, which is the mighty creator of torrents and other free stuff, so it must be true.

DSCN2043.jpg

About my signature, I found it on the internet, which is the mighty creator of torrents and other free stuff, so it must be true.

I don't think Moore is ever going to watch it. Ironically, it must be the only adaptation of his work that's at least tolerable. But after the previous ones one kind of understands his viewpoint lol

I'm really waiting for 3D printers. I could model my own army in my preferred scales, with unusual periods, or with all the miniatures being different to each other. I could upload the designs to the internet or download free designs from there. The level of detail could be insane, as well as the posibility of painting them at the computer.

You are not slamming 300 since the artist (Frank Miller and thus Zack Snyder) is deliberately deviating from conventional form or fact to achieve a desired effect. By ignoring this, you are only slamming yourself, Chaac.

Alex

You are not slamming 300 since the artist (Frank Miller and thus Zack Snyder) is deliberately deviating from conventional form or fact to achieve a desired effect. By ignoring this, you are only slamming yourself, Chaac.

Deliberately? I'm not sure how much of that is deliberate or how much is a manifestation of some of Miller's ideologies.

300 is a stylized film that fails. I find it unwatchable and the directors style is irratating. I do not care for these men and their painted on 6 packs. I suppose it does have some homoerotic allures, but they do not affect me.

I do figure it looks pretty good on blu. South Parks spoof is much more entertaining.

If you really need the clarification, I got the Godfather Collection. Considering it's at $39.99 now, I'd say I made out pretty well.

it makes quite a difference, as they are 3 separate films of unequal quality.

I really need to give the second movie a better chance, as I've only seen it once and failed to appreciate it as much as the first, which is one of my all-time favorites. I've never seen 3, but it's on my bucket list.

It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World is less than 10 bucks now on blu, I really like that film. I want it and What's Up Doc?

300 is a stylized film that fails. I find it unwatchable and the directors style is irratating.

I find its style captivating and unique so it doesn't fail at all. The film is not about lovable characters, but I cared for them, not as a series of nice and warm individuals but as a group of warriors that had to face the impossible. The emotion lies in the artistic way its told. If you are blind to the visual poetry and the artistic impression of 300 or if all you see is a bunch of men with six-pack stomachs, then this movie is simply not for you.

Alex

I've tried to give it a chance a pair of times to understand its appeal. But I still don't get it. I see a bunch of guys running around in a studio. It doesn't transport me anywhere, it doesn't make me believe. But I find a bit hard to pin down exactly what I don't like in its style, just as much as I find it hard to see what others see in it.

Too bad, Chaac. I didn't see a studio. I saw strange, beautiful, otherworldly environments and amazing compositions and cinematography. I was gratified in a way all the others of the genre (let's call them sword-and-sandal movies) didn't. Purely looking at it from a visual point of view, 300 to me is a work of cinematic art, just like Alien or 2001. I can enjoy them on a complete different level, a level some would call 'style over content', but in these cases I believe the emotion and other rewards lie mainly in the style.

But we have all talked about this before ... many times.

Alex

The ladder scene at the end is one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

Isn't that the one with the big W? I always loved the bald guy with the glasses - he's in a lot of 60's movies and his face is so wonderfully dishonest i get a laugh just from looking at it.

I'm on a classic westerns kick thanks to some great WalMart deals. Picked up a 3-disc set of The Searchers, The Wild Bunch, and How the West Was Won for 15 bucks. Watched the first two and they both look great. I also picked up The Magnificent Seven/Return of the Magnificent Seven for 15 bucks. Five blu ray westerns for 30 dollars total!

I'm waiting for that one. I can get it cheap from Amazon US but they don't have free shipping.

I threw it in the trolley at our local Morrisons supermarket. £29.99.

I take it the Amazon shipping is prohibitively expensive? I'm curious because I use Amazon A LOT. I'll get it for you if you want.

With many of the big ones already out of the way, my most-wanted list comes down to these for me, which are (as of yet) totally unconfirmed:

- Who Framed Roger Rabbit

- Return to Oz

- Titanic (most likely coming soon)

- Catch Me If You Can

- Always

- Star Wars Trilogy original versions (always possible since they made it onto DVD in some form)

I added Near Dark to my wish list, as well as the Mummy, though I may have to keep my dvd for the isolated score, not sure if it has that on the blu. Any one here know?