Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

18 minutes ago, Woj said:

Drax knows what he is. 

It doesn't matter what he is or what your opinion of him is, you can't come to the board and insult other members.  If you're having a bad day or something, take your aggression out in another way. If you truly don't like Drax, put him on ignore. I don't care what you do as long as you don't break the rules. Thanks!

8 minutes ago, Woj said:

I truly don't like you, either. 

Well I'm sorry to hear that, Rich, cause I like you just fine. If there's anything I can do to change your opinion of me, let me know!

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Platoon (Limited Edition Steelbook) is out this September! Limited to 10,000 copies, this set boasts a brand-new 4K scan approved by Oliver Stone, audio commentary, deleted and extended scenes, featurettes and more!

from Shout Factory

37070658_10156453060121310_7453810317940752384_n.jpg

On 2/12/2018 at 6:17 PM, filmmusic said:

This thread has died down it seems...

Well, here's some news:

Grease restoration coming!

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=22859

9213_tn.jpg

Like mononucleosis Grease refuses to go away. On of the great film critiques of all time

• 6 months later...
10 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Criterion’s May titles have been announced.

Ah, the original version of Funny Games. I've seen it once on TV, and found it very good, but like Requiem for a Dream it's one of those few cases where I'm not sure if I can ever bring myself to watch it again. I'd be more interested in the Lynch.

But I have to say I'm not really fond of Criterion these days, because of the region locking. Back in the DVD era, I rarely picked up their releases because they're usually expensive here, but the region locking wasn't an issue. With Blu-ray though, I regret the few region locked discs I have in my collection, because my first player (which was unlocked) stopped working years ago, and shortly after I got that they successfully put a stop to unlocked players (except for hardware hack upgrades, which probably cause issues when you need a firmware upgrade).

49 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Ah, the original version of Funny Games ... found it very good, but ... I'm not sure if I can ever bring myself to watch it again.

Same for me (with the U.S. version). 

• 5 months later...

FB_IMG_1565149386174.jpg

***DRACULA (1979) (Collector’s Edition) Update***

Throughout history, Dracula has filled the hearts of men with fear and the hearts of women with desire. In this stylish production of Bram Stoker’s classic gothic horror tale, Frank Langella reprises his electrifying, award-winning stage performance as the bloodthirsty Count Dracula as he goes in search of his ultimate bride. Meanwhile, the renowned and relentless vampire hunter, Professor Van Helsing (Sir Laurence Olivier), seeks to end the dark prince’s reign of terror over the citizens of Transylvania. Directed by John Badham (Saturday Night Fever), featuring an all-star cast and a superbly atmospheric score by the great John Williams, DRACULA (1979) is an unforgettable adaption of one of the most enduring horror legends of all time.

Details we have on our release at the moment are as follows: 

• National street date for North America (Region A) is November 26th.   
• As announced earlier, this is being presented as a 2-Disc Blu-ray Collector’s Edition and will come guaranteed with a slipcover in its first three months of release. 
Includes a new HD transfer of the theatrical version as seen in theaters in 1979 with full color as well as the alternate director-approved version of the film created in 1991 for home video with a muted color palette.
• The newly commissioned artwork you see pictured comes to us from artist Mark Maddox (Dracula: Prince of Darkness). This art will be front-facing and the reverse side of the wrap will feature the original theatrical artwork. 
• New and existing extras will be announced on a later date. 

Pre-order now directly from us @ https://www.shoutfactory.com/product/dracula-collector-s-edition?product_id=7228
The first 500 orders from our site will receive an exclusive limited-edition 18” x 24” rolled poster of the exclusive new illustration.

That cover is absolutely horrendous. This film has nothing to do with green, barely has any green in it even where it should, who the hell comes up with this stuff and who the hell approves it?

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

You don't wonder why nowadays studio's or labels completely disregard original poster art of older films in favour of rather horrid new photoshopped ones?

I can see not using the original because on all 20 goddamned versions they release of a single film, it would be confusing. But why pure diarrhoea to replace it with?

• 6 months later...

71UJpoMA0+L._SL1500_.jpg

This fantastic movie is still NOT available on Blu-ray. Amazing!

1-153.jpg

Since it's only released on DVD in the Benelux, I decided to order it from the Brits.

4 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Wha' :o??!! A huge, faceless, money-grabbing company that doesn't want your cash?!

I've never heard the like.

In Australia, it's tax reasons that Amazon International doesn't accept business. Amazon didn't want to become entangled in the Australian government's maze of a GST system which made it too complicated for independent sellers. Eventually Amazon US caved, but the UK one wants nothing to do with us.

6 minutes ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

Wha' :o??!! A huge, faceless, money-grabbing company that doesn't want your cash?!

I've never heard the like.

Get this, then: Disney+ won't be available for a big portion of he world for a year at least! It's like they want people to torrent.

Incidentally I placed an Amazon UK order on Thursday and it came through fine, arriving tomorrow.

Maybe there's something wrong with my Visa card. Maybe somewhere someone has blocked it. With Paypal, you can check your Paypal account to see if everything is ok, but with Visa? I have no clue. 

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Anybody got the blu-rays of The Untouchables and Where Eagles Dare? Are the transfers good? I can't find any reviews of them.

Former looks terrible. I have the latter but haven't even opened it yet!

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Anybody got the blu-rays of The Untouchables and Where Eagles Dare? Are the transfers good? I can't find any reviews of them.

I've got a 2008 UK release of The Untouchables. As far as I remember, it's watchable, but overcompressed (and probably oversharpened along with it). It's been a while since I've watched it though.

• 2 weeks later...

I hadn't heard of Film Arena Collection, but it seems to be a Czech (?) company that does licensed, high-quality blu-ray releases. The releases seem to be highly limited, and they've done a ton of 'em, including Alien, Inception, The Shining, Bohemian Rhapsody and Schindler’s List and many other high profile titles. (The ones I mentioned are all sold out, but if you want to have a look, just click the respective title.)

Mostly it's lenticular slipcases, collector's cards and steelbooks, which isn't my cup of tea, but I'm sure there are fans of these sort of releases, so I thought I'd pass it on. I found the site by chance because they have an upcoming release of Jaws 4K, and it popped up in a google search.

Jaws-FAC.jpeg

On 6/18/2020 at 7:59 PM, Jurassic Shark said:

It looks like Eagles isn't very well done either. I'll stick with my DVDs then.

What's your favorite song of them? 

• 3 months later...

Just a heads-up that Amazon, Target, and Wal-Mart are selling copies of two MGM titles that supposedly went OOP at Shout Factory's site. There may be more, but the two that I saw for sale are Carrie (the original) and the steelbook edition of Dances With Wolves