Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

"Rapid downloads" are not going to be a viable product for a while, at least not until a standard broadband connection is a lot faster than it is now.

To hell with increasing the speed of broadband connections. Try making broadband connections standardized everywhere that people want it. Too many people live out in the boonies with electricity and telephone, but still rely on springs or wells for their water, and don't have public sewage, either. These people also don't have basic cable or even DSL over the phone lines. Try giving them broadband, too.

They knew the sacrifices when they agreed to live there!

Bullsh1t

"Rapid downloads" are not going to be a viable product for a while, at least not until a standard broadband connection is a lot faster than it is now.

To hell with increasing the speed of broadband connections. Try making broadband connections standardized everywhere that people want it. Too many people live out in the boonies with electricity and telephone, but still rely on springs or wells for their water, and don't have public sewage, either. These people also don't have basic cable or even DSL over the phone lines. Try giving them broadband, too.

They knew the sacrifices when they agreed to live there!

Bullsh1t

Using spring water is killing the water industry!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I'll incidentally switch to Blu-ray when the PS3 comes down to a ton (£99.99). Until that point, I'll be more than happy with good old dvd upscaling!

I'm using my PS3 as both blu-ray and to play games. It would cost nearly as much to buy a stand alone player. I don't see why you wouldn't want to use it as a regular Blu-Ray player as well since it has one.

Region codes and HDCP, for one thing. The fact that I can't customise the whole thing and include it in my current home theatre setup, for another - I've picked my player of choice, I'm done my own theme and menu look, so why am I not allowed to play Blu-Ray discs on the system that works perfectly for playing my DVDs?

I repeat, I (hopefully) won't start buying Blu before it's sufficiently cracked to play a disc directly on my system without buying crippling hardware or paying for player software that doesn't do what I want. Once I can play Blu discs like I can play DVDs now, I'll be happy to give them money for their content. As long as they force me to buy crippled hardware which does nothing but prevent me from doing these things, I won't.

PS3 is supposed to come down by an unspecified amount in June, I'll pick one up then.

I remember reading that somewhere. It's already down to $400 for the 80GB. Would they go down to $300? That'd only put it up a little more than the 360. Doesn't really matter since the 360 already costs more in total than the PS3.

• 4 weeks later...

It's time again for me to complain about severe restrictions imposed by the Blu-ray manufacturers and for all those who cheerfully don't care about greedy companies restricting their freedoms and dictating where and how they watch their movies to belittle me:

Analogue Blu-ray output being phased out

More details & further restrictions

No, this is not exaggerated or unrealistic:

content_protection.png

You see, content makes are so unbelievably, bafflingly stupid. Those they are trying to stop with these measures are exactly those who know how to get round it or disable the protection.

Maybe I'm too cynical these days, but whenever something new comes out, you can guarantee that the maker will have exhaustively thought of everything a user could possibly to do deprive them of more profit, and devise mechanisms against it. If those mechanisms get in the way of stuff you're allowed to to under fair use? Tough.

And I just remembered, I was looking at Amazon UK's mp3 downloading thing, and decided to randomly e-mail them about one part of their T&C - that once you've downloaded a track/album, that's it - if your HDD crashes or anything like that, you can't just download it again. I buy from 2 other places that don't have that restriction, so I thought it would be interesting to hear what their excuse is, given that there's zero technical grounds.

I'd like the higher resolution, and the non-jerky playback of movies at their original speed. The ffmpeg project is apparently working on Blu support, so perhaps hassle-less free players are in sight.

I think I've heard of the first region-free Blu players being released recently. Took them a while... all the more reason for me to wait until the format's fully broken.

It's nice I can now watch my European Alias and Fawlty Towers DVDs in bed on my PS3. I still don't accept why I'm not allowed to watch my US Friends DVDs there.

A stupid question probably: can you play R1 DVDs with a (Region B) Blu-Ray player in Europe?

Not unless it's specifically region-free.

Just bought GHOSTBUSTERS on BD. Looking forward to checking it out.

Crap, now Toho is releasing the remastered Godzilla films (as well as other sci-fi/ kaiju films) on Blu-ray.

Last year Toho went back and remastered all the original negatives in HD.

A stupid question probably: can you play R1 DVDs with a (Region B) Blu-Ray player in Europe?

Just bought GHOSTBUSTERS on BD. Looking forward to checking it out.

So a Region B Blu player or a PS3 from Europe still don't play regular Region 1 DVDs? Argh!

Yeah that was probably the reason for my confusion. I so wanted HD-DVD to prevail, just on the basis of its being region-free... Oh, well, money saved I guess.

Well, it was also cheaper in its production process, so that it was more probable that older films would make their way to the format, so that was an important reason to root for HD-DVD, too, I guess.

And seriously, how many Blu-rays have made full use of the capabilities of the format? (The advantages are, after all, mostly a matter of capacity...)

But I don't want to resurrect the HD-DVD - BR war here; I've never even cared much myself which one of them won (apart from its impact on those two issues...).

Well, that sucks a fantastic amount of fat hairy donkey balls.

Guess I won't be going Blu just yet.

Blu-ray has a much greater amount of disc space

Which is why many BRs are barebones, having dropped the regular DVD extras... They're just screw-ups in Hollywood, all of them. Why do I have to check on the internet, with every DVD I want to buy, whether there's anything wrong with it (aspect ratio, scenes missing, extras missing, wrong cuts, censored, transfer, etc.). Sorry, rant over. Move along, move along.

Blu-ray has a much greater amount of disc space, which can be useful for a lot of things. HD-DVD wasn't even full HD, it's video output only went up to 1080i.

Wasn't it something like 50GB vs 40GB? That's significant but not that vast. 1080i vs 1080p is more important.

Aside from HD, 24fps playback is my main reason for REALLY wanting Blu. But the conditions aren't right yet.

I bought a Blu player in December. I only have 6 movies and a season of Lost. I want the Trek and Ape movies but I already own them. I don't know if its worth it to upgrade.

Was there more than one generation? It died pretty quickly.

Yes there were, and I may be wrong, but I think only the first player had the 1080i limitation. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'll wait for the next generation of DVD technology called "blue ray" or something.

I remember years ago before BluRay was released, people thought the "Blue Laser Disc" technology would be great because the disc's capacity was so large, you could fit SIX movies on it! They'd be able to fit the entire Star Wars saga on one disc!

I remember years ago before BluRay was released, people thought the "Blue Laser Disc" technology would be great because the disc's capacity was so large, you could fit SIX movies on it! They'd be able to fit the entire Star Wars saga on one disc!

I remember that concept as well Drax.

HD DVD knew it wouldn't survive against Blu-Ray. As stated by other members why Blu-Ray was better.