Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

They offer free shipping to any country. You can't beat something like free shipping. I ordered it from Amazon because it was a time when even the UK not provide me with the DC.

• 2 weeks later...

amazon's free shipping is a cluster**** of you get free shipping with this but not that unless you add this and subtrack this but for an extra 2.98 will give you free shipping.

Don't they give free shipping -- in the States, at least -- if your order is over $25? That's what I usually do, wait to make purchases until they exceed that amount, since my year of Prime expired and I haven't seen fit to renew it.

Ended up getting X-Men Origins: Wolverine on Blu-Ray for $10 at Wal-Mart. I also finally bought the Ultimate Matrix Collection on Blu-Ray. I tossed the DVD version of the set in the trash as The Matrix Reloaded disc some how ended up getting cracked. I'm slowly but surely upgrading my DVD collection.

It's not like that at all.

Everything is clearly labeled if it qualifies for free shipping or not

it's exactly as I said Jason.

the permutations on gathering an order that qualifies for free shipping can be daunting.

everything is labeled as to what qualifies but it can be a mess trying to gather an order to qualify for free shipping.

You can buy the one copy of this film on blu for 2.97 and for and extra 2.98 we can sip it, but if you buy it for 6.98 we'll ship it for free as long as you get 25.00 total.

You're talking about buying from an Amazon seller not Amazon directly. All stuff sold by Amazon directly is either elligible for free shipping or it isnt.

You're talking about buying from an Amazon seller not Amazon directly. All stuff sold by Amazon directly is either elligible for free shipping or it isnt.

Jason, you are not getting it.

I log onto Amazon, I want to purchase something specific. I have options, the options may be difficult depending on the seller, some of the sellers are eligible for the free shipping some are not, some sellers are eligible for free shipping on ONLY specific items, some are not. Some of the items I recently bought were much cheaper than those available for free shipping, even with the 2.98 shipping cost. It muddys the waters when I try to put together an order.

the trick yesterday was my order buying 3 items that were eligible for free came up to 24.27.

I tried to substitute a different item and got it up to 24.73.

I ended up buying 4 items for 27.32. If I went the other route and bought them separate paying shipping would come up to 28 and change.

Also. I finally ordered the Watchmen Director's Cut 2 disc set from play.com

I would order that (never seen any version of it), except there's also that super-duper limited even longer cut...

Also. I finally ordered the Watchmen Director's Cut 2 disc set from play.com

I would order that (never seen any version of it), except there's also that super-duper limited even longer cut...

Doesn't that cut only have the Black Freighter cartoon integrated into it?

When I watched it I went out of my way not to watch the Ultimate edition. It's said to be for the absolute completists only - much of what is added just bloats the film. I'd have watched the theatrical version before settling for that.

Same goes for Apocalypse Now, in my book.

There are 3 versions of Watchmen

The Theatrical Cut (162 minutes).

The Director's Cut (186 minutes) which is fully approved by Snyder

The Ultimate Cut (215 minutes) which is essentially the Director's Cut with the "Tale Of The Black Freighter" cartoon inserted into the flow of the film - which means that in addition to the cartoon, short segments of live action material (shot by Snyder) is also included to segue into and out of the cartoon.

I had never read before that the Ultimate Cut was not approved by Snyder. Can someone link to a source for that?

I should be getting the Searchers in the mail soon along with Dr. Zhivago, two of my favorite....wait for it.....EPICS....

yes epic, true to the word. real epic films. To bad JW has only scored a few.

Personally I say pass on it, it's crap but that's my opinion, if you're going to get it get the one with the most versions on it.

Sadly so far the three versions are only available on separate releases

is George Lucas one of the producers?

The movie would not have been as good if Lucass was involved in it.

Watchmen.

Superman The Movie

The Dark Knight

NO, watchman is a piece of shit. Superman is the greatest superhero film of all time. Dark Knight is a great film with a crazy hero.

Unbreakable and The Incredibles

Those are essentially movies for kids and teenagers. They are are a lot more ordinary in tone too. Although TDK paved the way, Watchmen is probably the first pure, real, uncompromised adult comic book movie. It certainly doesn't like to please everyone ... and you sense it the moment the movie starts. Personally, I think Watchmen is too much a 'one of a kind' movie to compare it to everyday movies like Unbreakable or The Incredibles. When I watched it, I couldn't believe the Hollywood suits allowed for it to happen. I saw the work of an artist who tries to please himself (as opposed to pleasing the audience). I realized somewhat sadly that this a one time event, or something that occurs once every 25 years.

Alex

So you have little faith in Man of Steel?

With Man Of Steel, I'm expecting a more conventional movie that will be the start of a new series of Superman movies.

Still, I wonder what Snyder meant by "it will be my most realistic movie".

It will be made like a Nolan/Batman movie, obviously.

Yeah, but Bats is a normal human. You can tell the story from a normal realistic point of view (demyth the myth, if you will). Supes, with him being from another world and having superpowers and all, always has something godlike and mythical about him.

Perhaps this Superman won't be able to fly in such a way that he can turn back time, which, let's face it, would be a convenient solution to every problem . ;)

Supes is now a guy who works out a lot?

We'll have to wait and see. Maybe Snyder was just saying things. Maybe his Supes will be just another tribute to the Donner one.

Unbreakable and The Incredibles

Those are essentially movies for kids and teenagers. They are are a lot more ordinary in tone too. Although TDK paved the way, Watchmen is probably the first pure, real, uncompromised adult comic book movie. It certainly doesn't like to please everyone ... and you sense it the moment the movie starts. Personally, I think Watchmen is too much a 'one of a kind' movie to compare it to everyday movies like Unbreakable or The Incredibles. When I watched it, I couldn't believe the Hollywood suits allowed for it to happen. I saw the work of an artist who tries to please himself (as opposed to pleasing the audience). I realized somewhat sadly that this a one time event, or something that occurs once every 25 years.

That-s not where I-m coming from. Even though when I see these two films, I do see artists trying to please themselves. They are brilliant reconstructions of something that had already been desconstructed again and again and again.

Plus, they are not adaptations, although they contain a few nods. I appreciate that.

What I think is that these two films, and actually, by extension, their creators, are superior o Watchmen when it comes to storytelling and Mise en scène/puesta en escena (is there any English word for this?). I can't see something in Watchmen on the level of how Bird stages action scenes or how Shyamalan stages turning points for the characters. I think they're better films. Their audience is completely irrelevant to me.

Also, let me say, Unbreakable has a wonderful tone, less pompous and artificial than Watchmen. It's one of the best crafted films of the previous decade. I think, depite his last pair of failures, that Shyamalan is one of the best visual storytellers right now. I would count Fincher in this group as well.

There's also the music. Watchmen uses well preexisting music in the credits sequence and the Mars sequence. Unbreakable and The Incredibles have great original scoring (I mean great in the sense of how its used, although it's good music as well). Being on this forum I can't help but notice that.