Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

Got the blu-ray of War Horse. It looks pretty soft but it was obviously intended. The sound is the best part by far.

I'll pick that up tomorrow and probably Tin Tin for 17.99

Isn't the extended version pan & scan only? Or is that just the fault of the German DVD release? I'm pretty sure that was non-anamorphic, too.

Do Non-anamorphic Blu-rays exist??? :eek:

Technically, all Blu-rays are non-anamorphic, as they natively come in 16:9 resolutions, unlike DVDs, which had 4:3 formats and could produce 16:9 either by letterboxing (i.e. loss of resolution) or horizontal stretching of the 4:3 image (=anamorphic distortion).

And as you can see, I was talking about the DVD.

Still waiting on my copy of the Poseidon Adventure. It's shipped which is a good thing because Walmart has sold out.

wont find it's way in my collection, I don't own any Stone films.

Have you forgotten that I also like The Tudors, Bloodboal?! Yes, that's right, I like a little death, betrayal, sex and intrigue in my TV shows. My only hope is that GOT is not about kiddie stuff such as dragons, magic wands and explosions.

Alex

The only fantasy aspects of GoT are the locales and the wildlife. Everything else about it is refreshingly real and authentic. That's why I watch it - I normally can't STAND tv fantasy, and even most movie stuff.

BloodBoal, relax - Alex will be the consummate GoT convert once he's viewed the penultimate episode ;)

The only fantasy aspects of GoT are the locales and the wildlife. Everything else about it is refreshingly real and authentic.

And the passing of seasons. And the magic. And Daenery's hair. And the sword fights.

BloodBoal, relax - Alex will be the consummate GoT convert once he's viewed the penultimate episode ;)

We'll see about that...

I think my posts come out as dry and humourless sometimes and it's not really my intention. Sorry if I annoy someone.

Don't be sorry. Just leave this place.

Amazon has about 10 or so digibooks on sale today for 9.99.

I picked up Patton, probably should have gotten Tora Tora Tora but since I'm on vacation next week I am saving for it.

I'm debating Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid. I would have gotten The Terminator but the transfer has been the same for 6 years.

yeah I didn't want to double dip.

Don't think anyone mentioned this, but on the upcoming release of Father of the Bride/Father of the Bride Part 2 BluRay, it lists Alan Silvestri's "Original Score Soundtrack" in the bonus features for just the first film. I wonder if it means an album-like presentation or an actual isolated score? Interesting.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=8573

We'll see about that...

I hope it changes but for now (I've only seen the first episode) I'm not a fan. However, I do like the cool dwarf. ;)

We'll see about that...

I hope it changes but for now (I've only seen the first episode) I'm not a fan. However, I do like the cool dwarf. ;)

I'm curious, what is it that you didn't like?

Alien-Anthology-%5BBlu-ray%5D.jpg

Didn't even realise Ridley did a director's cut for Alien. Is it better than the theatrical? I've not seen the first movie in years, I want to maximise the enjoyment.

Ridley Scott says the theatrical cut is the true DC. I never bothered to watch the so-called DC (which was 'commissioned' by Fox for commercial reasons, if I recall and understand correctly). It's a slightly tighter cut and includes the Dallas cocoon scene (which I don't care for).

BTW, the cover of that box ... can we say it spoils it a little for people who are not familiar with the Alien franchise? Why show the monster? It takes away some of the mystery and thus some of the suspense.

I know what people are thinking, who's not familiar with the Alien franchise? Even then, the first movie is very sparse with showing the monster. Personally, I would respect that principle.

897fe7e2-9798-4ae3-a798-636fdf834784_412x232.jpg

Alex