Blu-ray News and Deals

Quintus

4K BDs can have Dolby Atmos and DTS:X tracks, which offer a variety of formats including 7.1.2, 9.2, etc

8 minutes ago, Jay said:

4K BDs can have Dolby Atmos and DTS:X tracks, which offer a variety of formats including 7.1.2, 9.2, etc

Regular blurays also have Atmos.

Yup.  Since BD already includes lossless 24/96 audio, there wasn't really that much more to improve on the next format.

BTW, Dolby Atmos at home can theoretically have up to 24.1.10 channels, but there aren't any receivers on the market that do that :P

Frankly 5.1 is good enough for me.  I've had a 7.1 receiver for years and never have bothered to buy two more speakers to add to the 5.1 setup I already had

I do appreciate the lossless audio a BD can have over the compressed nature of DVD's 5.1 tracks, but even then unless you crank it through good speakers its hard to notice the difference.

Victor Victoria is now available on blu. Must get.

I agree. Most of my favorite movies didn't even have 5.1 audio when they were originally released. The mono/stereo tracks on the Jaws and E.T. Blu-rays sound better than the remixes.

We're actually on 2.1 currently too since a rear spoker broke just before moving.  It's mostly fine.

3 hours ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

I agree. Most of my favorite movies didn't even have 5.1 audio when they were originally released. The mono/stereo tracks on the Jaws and E.T. Blu-rays sound better than the remixes.

Not always. "Jaws"'s score has an excellent 5.1 spread. Listen to it with the centre speaker disconnected. I also like the mono mix of "Jaws", and I love the phasing sound when the Orca's engine blows up

9 hours ago, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

The mono/stereo tracks on the Jaws and E.T. Blu-rays sound better than the remixes.

well, the music of E.T sounds outstanding on the remix but unfortunately the audio has other alterations including alternate dialogue, so i don't listen to it anymore. pity...

Weirdly, there are numerous instances where the characters swear that have been dialed down significantly in the sound mix since possibly the 90s, but definitely since the 20th Anniversary. My original VHS copy of E.T. had the cursing in gloriously loud/normal audio. "Nothing but health shit!" "Son of a bitch!"

5.1 was neat for Star Trek, since you could hear the sounds of the ships all around you, although it was still a gimmick and it didn't improve the experience for me.

I have a cheap soundbar from Ollie's hooked to my TV via composite cables. The delay is usually unnoticeable. A higher number of speakers is rather low on our priority list. I do enjoy 5.1 on my gaming rig however. 

Yes I have had 5.1 since 1999, I only have 2.1 because a speaker broke and haven't replaced it yet.

The Alien Quadrilogy DVD/Alien Anthology blu ray box set is one of the best home video packages ever released. I doubt it will be necessary to double dip with this unless you really want the artwork.

Yup, just an Aliens release.  This would be fine for someone like me who doesn't care about the "Quadrilogy" and only wants the first two.  I don't have either on blu ray yet.

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

That giant box is just for the second film?

Its just a render from a program, the actual release might not be so thick

On 30-6-2016 at 4:57 AM, Nick Tatopoulos's Beret said:

$30 for a 4K Blu-ray?

I saw the Fury Road 4K BD in a store for 50 Euros. 50! By comparison, the regular BD is now 9,99, while the DVD retails for about 8 Euros. Ridiculous. 

4 hours ago, nightscape94 said:
Yup, just an Aliens release.  This would be fine for someone like me who doesn't care about the "Quadrilogy" and only wants the first two.  I don't have either on blu ray yet.

If only it had a transfer that did away with the awful orange and teal wash from the last Blu-ray. Ugh.

On 03/07/2016 at 6:18 AM, Koray Savas said:

It's not absolutely necessary. It's just two additional rear speakers so it adds more detail to background noises. 

7.1 is gimmick. 

20 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Aliens on Blu-ray has gotten a lot of praise.  It was called a big improvement on all of the previous releases.

Its detail is great, but I hate the new colors. It no longer looks like a film from 1986 and now looks like a digitally graded film from recent years.

Alien received a colour pass on blu too, it's just how it is nowadays as filmmakers strive to preserve their work and present them as 'pristinely' as possible. They effectively update the look of the film, arguably for the better in many cases.

4O5PBNa.jpg

7digAH4.jpg

In my view the BD colours are preferable to the LD edition (which is considered to be the closest match to a vintage 1979 35mm print). 

1 hour ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Its detail is great, but I hate the new colors. It no longer looks like a film from 1986 and now looks like a digitally graded film from recent years.

Didn't notice any particular grading. I saw it a few days later than Alien and thought it looked very dated. Of course it's graded and it's digital but it didn't feel like a recent movie. Movie looks much more grainy than Alien too. BTW, Alien is also newly color graded.

The stock doesn't feel premium. I also miss the black bars that Alien has. It doesn't have that lovely, classy 2.35 scope look.

22 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Thats what I feel when I watch Empire Of The Sun! ?

Somehow Daviau knew how to make it scopy while using 1.85 : 1