Henry Buck

Star Wars: The Old Republic

http://www.swtor.com

Play Star Wars: The Old Republic™ and forge your own Star Wars™ saga in a story-driven massively-multiplayer online game from BioWare and LucasArts. Explore an age thousands of years before the rise of Darth Vader when war between the Old Republic and the Sith Empire divides the galaxy.

Choose to be a Jedi, a Sith, or from a variety of other classic Star Wars roles, and make decisions which define your personal story and determine your path down the light or dark side of the Force. Along the way you will befriend courageous companions who will fight at your side or possibly betray you based on your actions. Together, you will battle enemies in dynamic Star Wars combat and team up with other players to overcome incredible challenges.

Join us. Your personal Star Wars saga begins in Star Wars: The Old Republic.The Galactic Republic stood for generations as a bastion of peace in a galaxy of warring star systems. Protected by its stalwart Jedi guardians, the Republic held the greatest hope for the progress of civilization and galactic unity.

Deep in unknown space, however, a mighty Sith Empire was forged, led by dark Sith Lords who dreamt of galactic domination and vengeance against their ancient Jedi enemies. After centuries of preparation, the time came for the Sith to make their return.

With a massive fleet and an awe-inspiring army of fearless troops, the Sith Emperor launched a surprise assault, quickly capturing dozens of worlds in the Outer Rim, and sparking a war unlike any other in the galaxy's history.

From the frozen wastes of Ilum to the desert plains of Dathomir, violent battles killed untold millions. Despite its avowed neutrality, surface structures on the water-covered world of Manaan were completely destroyed, forcing the Selkath to retreat to their ocean underworld. Other star systems fared worse—some destroyed, others left uninhabitable. The carnage concluded with the Sith Empire sacking the Republic's capital planet of Coruscant and forcing the Republic Senate into the controversial Treaty of Coruscant.

In the years since the treaty, fear and uncertainty have gripped the galaxy, enabling the Sith Emperor to pursue his own mysterious purposes while the Republic has made efforts to rebuild its infrastructure and adjust military priorities to the new galactic landscape.

Now, tensions between the Republic and the Empire are running high, and a series of border skirmishes and proxy wars have broken out, even on planets as historically peaceful as Alderaan. The uneasy truce established by the Treaty of Coruscant is quickly tearing apart at the seams, and a return to all-out war has begun in all but official terms.

A new generation of heroes, both light and dark, emerges to face the difficulties of these chaotic times, and fight for the fate of the galaxy in this most desperate age.

http://uk.pc.ign.com/articles/922/922115p1.html

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6199726.html?...topslot;title;1

"The unique aspect of storytelling, which is really differentiated for this game, is something the KOTOR franchise did very well, and we felt that just doing a single-player experience with a new KOTOR really misses the opportunity to take this out to a much wider audience."

No, it would miss the opportunity to make more money.

This is a dumb idea. All this will be is Star Wars: Galaxies 2, set 3600 years in the past instead of right after the first Star Wars film.

Although leaving 300 years between this game and Kotor II does leave a spot in the timeline, so when this MMO bombs, somebody with half a brain at LucasArts can authorize Kotor III.

All this will be is Star Wars: Galaxies 2, set 3600 years in the past instead of right after the first Star Wars film.

Bioware's quite a bit better a developer than SOE. I'm optimistic.

Is this new Sith Empire where Revan and the Exile ended up, both as dark side? Or will it be a totally seperate story?

I've never played online games, and if Uru didn't drag me into it this won't either. I'd rather have had KotoR III too.

Well when this comes out, the Star Trek MMORPG should be coming out, too. It might be interesting to see how those two games compete with more traditional MMORPG like WoW, but not to me. I like to buy my games once and be done.

Gamespot has a very comprehensive preview. A couple of money quotes:

"Our fans ask, 'Why aren't you doing Knights of the Old Republic 3?' What we're really doing is Knights of the Old Republic 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12-plus. We have that much content and that many stories...We really get to do a lot of things we really wouldn't get to do in [a] KOTOR 3."
So what is the setting for this massive epic? The Old Republic takes place 300 years after the events of the original Knights of the Old Republic games, or about 3,600 years before the events of the films. While story elements from the first two games will "definitely play a role," much has changed since the end of KOTOR II. The old Sith Empire, which had been banished into deep space after nearly being exterminated by the Galactic Republic, has reemerged. Its return came in the form of a massive sneak attack by its huge fleet reminiscent of the Cylons' fiery return in Battlestar Galactica.

A brutal war ensued, which saw the Sith's elite armies conquer dozens of worlds in the Outer Rim and sack the Republic's capital planet Coruscant. Pacifist factions within the Republic forced the signing of a treaty, leading to a fragile peace across the galaxy. Those same factions blamed the Jedi for the Republic's drubbing by the Sith, forcing the relocation of the decimated Jedi Council from Coruscant to Tython, the Jedi's homeworld.

As the game begins, the interstellar Cold War is thawing, and players will find themselves at ground zero as a new conflict begins to flare up. "Players get to come in and take the roles of heroes--or villains--at this pivotal moment where we're starting to go back into a big galactic war," promised Erickson.

Gamespot has a very comprehensive preview. A couple of money quotes:
"Our fans ask, 'Why aren't you doing Knights of the Old Republic 3?' What we're really doing is Knights of the Old Republic 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, and 12-plus. We have that much content and that many stories...We really get to do a lot of things we really wouldn't get to do in [a] KOTOR 3."

So that's their excuse? LAME!

It sounds intriguing. I'm disappointed that the mystery surrounding the True Sith Empire is gone; it's just your usual vast army of evil. I guess that's what I should have expected, but the ending of KOTOR2 seemed to be setting up something... bigger. I guess it's interesting that the Empire is headed by this "Sith Emperor" who's kept himself alive for over a thousand years. But who knows? We really have no details yet.

John, here's my favorite quote, from the official site:

Given that it is approximately 300 years since the events of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, many of the characters have passed away. However, their legacy does live on as many of their descendants will be part of Star Wars: The Old Republic. Some droids can last a long time as well.

:thumbup:

Yeah, I saw that, and I know we're not thinking of T3-M4. :thumbup:

The official site also addresses the Revan question pretty directly, but doesn't mention the Exile.

I agree that the Sith Empire thing does feel a bit cliched, but at the same time it's also appropriately large and gives the universe a setting that'll be familiar. According to everything that's been said it looks like the game is focusing more on story and gameplay than socialization, and the site says that the majority of it will be single player so who knows, if the monthly fee is low enough I just might give it a spin.

Oh, and regarding the fact there's still not even an estimation of a release date, this little alteration from Mixnmojo made me laugh:

keepwaiting.jpg

A cinematic trailer depicting the sacking of Coruscant has been released. I suppose it's just brainless action, but the execution of it is amazing. Looking forward to this game. (I linked directly to the QuickTime download because the trailer page on swtor.com features it in rather low resolution.)

All this talk of story and character trumping lots of mindless fighting is calling me. If it's a satisfactory single player experience I might give it a shot.

Unfortunately there won't be a single player option, it's an online game thing like Enter The Matrix.

It breaks my heart that they're not making a third single player Kotor game. It's possible that the 300 year jump from the timeline of those games to this new MMORPG will leave them, or somebody else, time within the story to maybe someday create a third game, but I won't hold my breath.

Really all it needs to be like is the real world, but set in a Star Wars universe. Real life, as some of you may know, is a healthy mix of reasonable solo experiences and playing with other people.

Have you seen the E3 trailer for the game [link]? [it's the same as the cinematic one posted before] It's interesting to note, every music playing is from Williams BUT, listen closely to 2:49 3:00; never heard before but judging from style this can be Williams. Any thoughts?

Have you seen the E3 trailer for the game [link]? [it's the same as the cinematic one posted before] It's interesting to note, every music playing is from Williams BUT, listen closely to 2:49 3:00; never heard before but judging from style this can be Williams. Any thoughts?

Doesn't sound like Williams. It may be from some other game.

The video looked better and... more realistic than last 2 official movies.

It's from Mark Griskey's score to Knights of the Old Republic II.

That looks incredible. The movie alone is more spectacular than any of the prequels. It's also more spectacular than any of the footage from Kotor 1 or 2.

It's extremely doubtful that game play would be so cinematic and extreme.

It's from Mark Griskey's score to Knights of the Old Republic II.

Thanks, would have made me nuts over time not to know.

It's extremely doubtful that game play would be so cinematic and extreme.

Yes, but at the very least it will have completely amazing cut-scenes.

I hope that by "cut-scenes" you don't imply a pre-rendered movie that is what it is. I would hope that cinematic moments in the game reflect the conditions of the game, to keep it in-game and believable. That cutscene showed a hooded Sith with a female Twi-lek bounty hunter, nodding to a rather attractive human bounty hunter up above. If my party consisted of a female Rodian bounty hunter, it should show that, or the cutscenes should be for characters and moments beyond my control. Which in an MMORPG where my character is "important" to the story, such moments should be scant.

The point I'm trying to make is that I remember a lot of cutscenes in Kotor 1 that featured Bastila talking, and whatever headgear you had given her would still be there in the cutscene, rather distractedly but it's better than her taking it off to talk, and put it back on. The other point I'm trying to make is that if I wanted Bastila to walk around in her undies instead of her default jumpsuit, by golly I want to watch her in the cutscenes in her undies. Especially that 10 minute or so cutscene when you're captured by the Leviathan.

The music is pretty good. Though the terrific narration by Lance Henrikson probably distracted me.

Frank Black FTW

First excerpts of Mark Griskey's original score revealed. Fans of musical continuity should be pleased, as it incorporates both the Force theme from the films and the Sith theme from Jeremy Soule's KOTOR.

Nice. I love Soule's Sith theme.

He should have used Williams emperor's theme though.

First excerpts of Mark Griskey's original score revealed. Fans of musical continuity should be pleased, as it incorporates both the Force theme from the films and the Sith theme from Jeremy Soule's KOTOR.

Nice. I love Soule's Sith theme.

He should have used Williams emperor's theme though.

The Sith theme is very obviously influenced by the Emperor's theme.

So TOR is shipping with a staggering five and a half hours of original music. Looks like Mark Griskey is only the lead composer on a whole team of composers for this one. There's some very beautiful sounding stuff and an interesting variation on "Yoda and the Force" at the end. Oh, and for you completionists... there will also be music from the films.

So TOR is shipping with a staggering five and a half hours of original music. Looks like Mark Griskey is only the lead composer on a whole team of composers for this one. There's some very beautiful sounding stuff and an interesting variation on "Yoda and the Force" at the end. Oh, and for you completionists... there will also be music from the films.

;)

Still half an hour or so short of Twilight Princess' record though. :P

All live orchestral or will some be synth?

Awesome trailer (os is it the game's opening cinematic - i hope all cinematics are like this.

Good music editing, but its odd to listen to music created for 1000 years after.

http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/return

here you can find the true trailer with original music (and ugly DOTF loop at the end)

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/06/eas-origin-teases-the-swtor-e3-trailer/