Hal Leonard Signature Editions

filmmusic

• 1 month later...

The Suite from Lincoln is gonna be published soon by Hal Leonard:

http://www.emsmusic.com/product_p/emsg180697.htm

It's a 3-movement suite including "Getting Out the Vote", "The People's House" and "With Malice Toward None".

Any update about this?

the link is not working.

This is gonna be a signature edition? (meaning original full score)?

The listing was removed from the site, I believe. A while back I think. Hal Leonard doesn't list it, nor does any other music site I've seen. I think it is probably accurate information, but the product was probably held back for whatever reason. Maybe the info was sent out early by mistake.

Similar thing happened with the Signature Editions for Horn book. It was listed years ago on Sheet Music Plus and several other sites, but was eventually pulled. It wasn't published until last year, which was about 2 years after the initial listings for it.

hmmm.. :(

I think I'll contact hal Leonard, but I don't think that they ever reply emails..

edit: Ok, sent it.

edit 2: Oh, i was astonished to receive this immediate reply:

"We do have the signature series edition in production, but do not have a date when we are expecting it to be available."

hmmm.. :(

I think I'll contact hal Leonard, but I don't think that they ever reply emails..

edit: Ok, sent it.

edit 2: Oh, i was astonished to receive this immediate reply:

"We do have the signature series edition in production, but do not have a date when we are expecting it to be available."

Be careful on that last part of their reply. LOL. I once inquired about an ALan Menken book. The difference from their estimated time of availability to when it was actually released was about five months.

• 6 months later...

And at last, we have a new one!

Music from Lincoln, in full orchestra.

04491244.gif

Song List:

• Elegy
  • Getting Out The Vote
  • The People's House
  • With Malice Toward None

http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.do?itemid=4491245&lid=0&keywords=john%20williams&subsiteid=1&

• 1 month later...

With the Signature Edition Music from Lincoln released...we also get another one this month!

Music from the Star Wars Saga

I. The Asteroid Field (4:50)

II. Parade of the Ewoks (4:10)
III. Cantina Band (2:15)
IV. Here They Come (2:15)
V. Luke and Leia (4:45)
VI. The Forest Battle (4:05)

http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.do?itemid=4491067&lid=0&keywords=music%20from%20the%20star%20wars%20saga&subsiteid=1&

Some new "official" versions of these concert pieces....maybe we'll get to hear these live at his concerts more...?

I think "Here they come" and "Cantina band" are probably the movements from the suite he made in 1977/78 that was published by Fox Fanfare. The others I can't speak for. I do wish, though, that he hadn't tinkered with "The Asteroid Field" for the concert arrangement. The original film cue is a perfectly cohesive and engaging composition. Then again I also don't like the concert arrangement of "Adventures on Earth," so what do I know?

• 3 weeks later...

It amazes me that these pieces were not previously commercially available. Did they used to be and these are a "reprint" or are they new?

Yes, they have never been commercially available for buy or rent until now.

I guess they're the classic concert arrangements Williams performed often in concerts and that were originally part of the original concert suites he did for all three movies.

"Yes, they have never been commercially available for buy or rent until now."

This information is not correct. The six titles which are now being published by Hal Leonard have always been available from rental libraries. There are even more titles out there for rental, including "The Battle" from STAR WARS; "Han Solo and the Princess" and the Finale (including the End Credits) from THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK; and "Jabba the Hutt" from RETURN OF THE JEDI.

This information is not correct. The six titles which are now being published by Hal Leonard have always been available from rental libraries. There are even more titles out there for rental, including "The Battle" from STAR WARS; "Han Solo and the Princess" and the Finale (including the End Credits) from THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK; and "Jabba the Hutt" from RETURN OF THE JEDI.

I think when we say "commercially" it means for the general public.

And in that regard, Maurizio is correct.

They may have been available for rental but ONLY to professional orchestras.

I knew a couple of sites in the past, which had a wealth of film scores, but they rented only to orchestras, not to plain people.

• 1 month later...

Two more upcoming releases in the JW Signature Edition Series:

Devil's Dance from The Witches of Eastwick http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.do?itemid=4491345&lid=63&keywords=john williams deluxe score&subsiteid=1&

Williams' arrangement of Hooray for Hollywood http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.do?itemid=4491154&lid=64&keywords=john williams deluxe score&subsiteid=1&

Hal Leonard is also offering Alan Silvestri's Suite from Back to the Future: http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.do?itemid=4491130&lid=1&keywords=deluxe score&subsiteid=1&

• 1 month later...

With the Signature Edition Music from Lincoln released...we also get another one this month!

Music from the Star Wars Saga

I. The Asteroid Field (4:50)

II. Parade of the Ewoks (4:10)

III. Cantina Band (2:15)

IV. Here They Come (2:15)

V. Luke and Leia (4:45)

VI. The Forest Battle (4:05)

http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.do?itemid=4491067&lid=0&keywords=music%20from%20the%20star%20wars%20saga&subsiteid=1&

Some new "official" versions of these concert pieces....maybe we'll get to hear these live at his concerts more...?

I think "Here they come" and "Cantina band" are probably the movements from the suite he made in 1977/78 that was published by Fox Fanfare. The others I can't speak for. I do wish, though, that he hadn't tinkered with "The Asteroid Field" for the concert arrangement. The original film cue is a perfectly cohesive and engaging composition. Then again I also don't like the concert arrangement of "Adventures on Earth," so what do I know?

I received my copy of this score recently. I am very very happy of this score, apart from two obvious typesetting mistakes in the violin lines in "Luke and Leia" (two wrong notes) that make me a bit nervous.

You are right that all the cues included here are the same arrangements that were available from rental libraries, although it is very nice to have them in modern typeset "Hal Leonard" format. "Here They Come" and "Cantina Band" are indeed the same as the Fox Fanfare suite, I think with very minor changes in some markings and tempo indications (but I have not compared them, just going by memory). "Asteroid Field", unfortunately, is the old concert arrangement (not the film cue nor the "Star Wars: A Musical Journey" version, which I was somehow hoping for, which is almost identical to the film cue). I like it, but I also like the film cue more. The three cues from ROTJ ("Parade of the Ewoks", "Luke and Leia" and "The Forest Battle") are from a suite that was available for rental, to my knowledge, only in manuscript form, which included also "Jabba the Hutt" (not available in this collection).

As far as I know, the only titles that were released for rental and are by now not yet published by Hal Leonard are the ones listed by MovieMusicMaestro, plus "The Little People". So, to summarize:

"The Little People" from ANH

"The Battle" from ANH

"Han Solo and the Princess" from ESB

"Finale & End Credits" from ESB

"Jabba the Hutt" from ROTJ

Maybe this would make for another suite release, although "Finale" from ESB would be a bit out of place. I also have the dream that they would release the full "Battle of Yavin" as in the film (not the arrangement), but I think this will never happen!

• 5 months later...

Hal Leonard website shows the following titles in the works:

Fanfare for Fenway

Star-Spangled Banner (200th anniversary edition for narrator and orchestra - presumably the one performed at the 2014 Fourth of July broadcast)

Star-Spangled Banner (brass and percussion version - possibly the one performed at the 2007 World Series)

For the President's Own (concert band)

I want his concert versions of The Accidental Tourist and The Sugarland Express themes. Perhaps a suite from TinTin as well since he frequently performs The Duel from that score.

Does anyone know if those orchestra suite for lincoln is the exact same thing as he's playing at his concerts? i just find its strange they they are not arranged by williams…… rather unheard of for him i think, at least of his own music

WilliamsStarShip2282: What do you mean with "they are not arranged by williams"?

The Suite from LINCOLN (called "Music from LINCOLN) which has been published by Hal Leonard includes these titles:

1. "The People's House" (which is a combination of "The People's House", "The Blue and Grey" and "With Malice Toward None"), ca. 5:25

2. "Getting Out the Vote", ca. 3:05

3. "Elegy" (for two trumpets and string orchestra), ca. 2:50 --- The concert version has ten bars more than the recording:

4. "With Malice toward None" (for string orchestra), ca. 3:30

5. "With Malice toward None" (for solo trumpet and orchestra), ca. 3:45 --- This is identical with this recording:

A live recording of nos. 1, 2 and 4 as performed by the Boston Pops Orchestra under the musical direction of John Williams can be heard here:

http://www.sheetmusicplus.com/title/music-from-lincoln-sheet-music/19924371

i can't seem to find a complete description of it again, but i read when it was first released that it was arranged by christopher martin, also on the hal leonard website it reads the same

It is not. The orchestral arrangements for the Signature Editions are always by Williams. The band versions, however, are usually arranged by others (frequently Paul Lavender).

Christopher Martin is the dedicatee (Chicago Symphony's principal trumpet), and Hal Leonard simply screwed up and got the preposition wrong (it should probably read "for", not "by").

And at last, we have a new one!

Music from Lincoln, in full orchestra.

04491244.gif

Song List:

• Elegy
  • Getting Out The Vote
  • The People's House
  • With Malice Toward None

http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.do?itemid=4491245&lid=0&keywords=john%20williams&subsiteid=1&

No "Equality Under the Law"? Damn.

Hal Leonard website shows the following titles in the works:

Fanfare for Fenway

Can we get a studio recording of "Fanfare for Fenway" yet?

Someone might be interested in this:

Dartmoor from WAR HORSE for String Orchestra from the offiicial Hal Leonard youtube channel:

I still don't know what is the original version of the first theme.

Look at (and listen to) bar 5, 2nd chord. There is an Eb.(C minor chord)

In the ost, film and piano sheet music that is a natural E. (C major chord)

In the full score signature edition, in the performance by Williams in 2012 with the Boston Pops and as it seems in this arrangement too, it's Eb.

I like the natural E much better. What do you think?

I was thinking maybe the Eb was a mistake originally in the signature edition, and Williams overlooked it in his performance?

• 2 weeks later...

Someone might be interested in this:

Dartmoor from WAR HORSE for String Orchestra from the offiicial Hal Leonard youtube channel:

I still don't know what is the original version of the first theme.

Look at (and listen to) bar 5, 2nd chord. There is an Eb.(C minor chord)

In the ost, film and piano sheet music that is a natural E. (C major chord)

In the full score signature edition, in the performance by Williams in 2012 with the Boston Pops and as it seems in this arrangement too, it's Eb.

I like the natural E much better. What do you think?

I was thinking maybe the Eb was a mistake originally in the signature edition, and Williams overlooked it in his performance?

I completely agree with you. I have also wondered about this chord, I also prefer E natural as in the OST, I also suspect that it might have been just a mistake in the SE and Williams overlooked it in the performance, as strange as this may be. E flat just sounds out of place here. The only doubt that I have is due to the fact that E flat occurs twice in bar 5 (in the contrabasses and in the lowest-register section of the second violins) and so, if it was an error, it was done twice. But anything can be. If I had to conduct it, I think I would ask violins and basses to play C natural!

If it is an error, it would not be the first time that SE mistakes naturals for flats, there are at least two examples occurring in Jurassic Park Main Theme (bar 5, last note of the first flute, this is "big"!) and in Star Wars (bar 52, piano RH, first chord, the C should be natural).

The only doubt that I have is due to the fact that E flat occurs twice in bar 5 (in the contrabasses and in the lowest-register section of the second violins) and so, if it was an error, it was done twice.

twice? i see it only in the basses..

Oh, maybe you mean in the full orchestra version? I don't have it in front of me right now.

I'm pretty sure it's a revision, not a typo, lending even more modal ambiguity to the passage (adding a phrygian sprinkle to the already major-tinged dorian-ism of the writing). I like both versions, btw.

The only doubt that I have is due to the fact that E flat occurs twice in bar 5 (in the contrabasses and in the lowest-register section of the second violins) and so, if it was an error, it was done twice.

twice? i see it only in the basses..

Oh, maybe you mean in the full orchestra version? I don't have it in front of me right now.

Yes, I mean in the full orchestra version.

• 5 months later...

$20 for a four-page single instrument score. Oh well.

The page does say that prices and availability are subject to change without notice, but I don't think the score will become any cheaper - or should I say - less blatantly expensive.

• 2 months later...

While I am happy that more titles are released, I really cannot stand this policy of releasing a single cue for 48 dollars. It makes no sense! For slightly more you can get a complete Wagner opera in urtext edition (and without errors, which is not always the case with HL!!!).

• 1 month later...

I just received Scherzo for Motorcycle and orchestra. It's actually a new arrangement, not the track of the same name from the OST.

It has been performed (maybe premiered?) at the Film night concert last May, which is available here

http://www.wgbh.org/programs/The-Boston-Symphony-Orchestra-in-Concert-1641#63461

That piece starts around the 1hour and 3 minutes mark.

Fun arrangement and the performance sounds great.

In general these scores are in the 85-100% realm of the OST recordings.

Sometimes the voicings are changed to accommodate more standard ensembles. 6 horns to 4, or 5 bones to 4.

JW looks over them though and in general is very hands on with everything.

He is a beast.