Hal Leonard Signature Editions

filmmusic

WOW! I'm Incredibly happy with both of those choices, especially Born on the Fourth of July - that's the one I've wanted for a few years now. Excellent!

I don't think that it will contain any new music apart from the End credits that are already circulating in the trading lists..

I have that - but it would be nice to have it in print. I'm hoping for either just the concert version of the main theme, or the suite that he recorded that includes:

- Main Theme

- Cua Viet River

- The Early Days

WOW! I'm Incredibly happy with both of those choices, especially Born on the Fourth of July - that's the one I've wanted for a few years now. Excellent!

I don't think that it will contain any new music apart from the End credits that are already circulating in the trading lists..

Well, the end credits theme differs from the concert arrangement (as heard in "Music from Stage and Screen").

It says that Irena's Theme is a part of the suite. Maybe Williams composed another theme for the movie which had gone unheard until now?! :angry::)

Actually it's a more developed concert version than the one presented on the CD. He performed it in Chicago and Boston last August.

Also, I'm wondering if "A Whirl Through Academe" is a reworked concert version of the piece heard in the film.

It says that Irena's Theme is a part of the suite. Maybe Williams composed another theme for the movie which had gone unheard until now?! :angry::)

It's the first love theme for an Indy movie.

Hal Leonard website also list these upcoming Williams pieces/arrangements as well:

Tango (Por Una Cabeza) from Scent of a Woman

Theme from Jurassic Park

Excerpts from Fiddler on the Roof

Hal Leonard website also list these upcoming Williams pieces/arrangements as well:

Tango (Por Una Cabeza) from Scent of a Woman

Theme from Jurassic Park

I'm happy about those two!

Do you have an idea of who we'll be able to order these from, KingPin? You're usually on top of these!

• 2 weeks later...

FYI - Sheet Music Plus has all of the new Signature Editions for sale on their site already. I just ordered some last night. They also added the brass/percussion version of Star Spangled Banner that JW performed at the World Series.

Almost forgot - Sheet Music Plus does offer the stand-alone score for purchase for all of the new ones, as well as piano reductions for Tango and Fiddler, so make sure to click on the right item.

FYI - Sheet Music Plus has all of the new Signature Editions for sale on their site already. I just ordered some last night. They also added the brass/percussion version of Star Spangled Banner that JW performed at the World Series.

Almost forgot - Sheet Music Plus does offer the stand-alone score for purchase for all of the new ones, as well as piano reductions for Tango and Fiddler, so make sure to click on the right item.

KingPin did you order Born on the 4th of July? if yes, could you let us know what does it include when you receive it (e.g is it the end credits?)

I haven't ordered that one yet (next paycheck perhaps!). My guess is that it's the main theme as heard on the Music for Stage and Screen BPO album since that is the concert edition that JW performs.

• 1 year later...

I know a cello/piano reduction of Elegy for Cello and Orchestra is due out this month - the 18th, according to the Hal Leonard website. That's all I know of.

I know a cello/piano reduction of Elegy for Cello and Orchestra is due out this month - the 18th, according to the Hal Leonard website. That's all I know of.

oh.. i would prefer a film score, but i guess it's better than nothing.

i wonder why it doesn't show it when i put in the search bar "john williams" and sort by release date. i had to put "elegy williams" to see it..

Same here, I'd much prefer a film score but I'll take what I can get. Although it's nice that some of his concert works are being made available at this stage in his career.

I would love to see

Return of the Jedi suite (Parade of the Ewoks; Luke and Leia; Jabba the Hutt; The Forrest Battle)

Asteroid Field; Han Solo and the Princess and Here they come! would be very nicel too.

• 5 months later...

New signature edition: Out to sea and the Shark Cage fugue for Concert band:

http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.do?itemid=4002917&lid=0&keywords=john%20williams&subsiteid=1&

you can listen to a 2 minute preview too (the button on the left under the cover)

• 8 months later...

Those guys at Hal Leonard, are surely very unhelpful. Whenever I have emailed them about any Williams signature editions, I never get a response.

anyway, here's the latest score (not a signature edition) Swings! (containing Cantina band, catch me if you can, Swing swing swing from 1941) arranged by Jay Bocook for concert band.

there's also an audio preview.

http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.do?itemid=4003103&lid=0&keywords=john%20williams&subsiteid=1&

I wish they would release something from Stanley and Iris, Accidental Tourist, Monsignor...

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Jane Eyre? I've really been hoping for that one, finally! Thanks!

The Lincoln piano book will be available on January 15th, no online stores have it up for order yet though.

http://www.halleonard.com/product/viewproduct.do?itemid=115069&lid=11&keywords=Lincoln&subsiteid=1&

I'm incredibly stoked for Jane Eyre too. The Chairman's Waltz is cool too, but it would have been great if the entire Memoirs of a Geisha Suite for Cello and Orchestra was published. I heard a rumor that Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra may get published sometime in 2013 (although I'd still like to see the Circus Train Chase or Parade of the Slave Children). I hope that Hal Leonard continues publishing a lot more Williams' scores now that he's reached old age - keep the legacy going. If you're interested in official scores by other film composers, Hal Leonard also publishes the Henry Mancini Concert Library, which is Mancini's equivalent to the JW SIgnature Editions. So far there are two installments - the March with Mancini Medley and the Theme from The Pink Panther, with the Peter Gunn Theme in limbo still awaiting release. If you also check their Symphony Pops section, you will find several other film scores arranged by some of the orchestrators from the actual films - James Newton Howard's Peter Pan Suite, Dimitri Tiomkin's Suites from High Noon and It's a Wonderful Life, Michael Giacchino's Music from Up and Star Trek (Star Trek is not yet available as a "conductor score only" option - full orchestra parts must be purchased alongside), "God Bless Us, Everyone" from Alan Silvestri's score to A Christmas Carol, and James Horner's Titanic Suite. In case you didn't already know. :)

I didn't know about some of those, I may have to go for Titanic and the Tiomkin scores, cool. Thanks!

I'm still really hoping for Cadillac of the Skies in the Signature Edition line - that feels like a major omission to me.

Agreed. I'd also like to see releases of Fanfare for Fenway, The Sugarland Express Theme, and The Reivers Suite for Narrator. Maybe his arrangement of Hooray for Hollywood too.

• 3 weeks later...

Insider information from the publisher: Throughout 2013, we should expect to see the following official JW Signature Edition scores published and available for purchase:

The Reivers

Scherzo for Motorcycle and Orchestra

NBC Sunday Fight Football Theme

Tribute to the Film Composer

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My hunch is that the report from the YMF concert that mentioned the Elegy was inaccurate. It was probably With Malice Towards None, or maybe Williams has renamed the latter "elegy."

My hunch is that the report from the YMF concert that mentioned the Elegy was inaccurate. It was probably With Malice Towards None, or maybe Williams has renamed the latter "elegy."

Correct - it was "With Malice Towards None". I updated the YMF post to reflect this. It was not "Elegy" as I originally stated in that thread.

As noted previously in this thread, the Jane Eyre suite is out....

Movements are as follows:

1. Lowood, 2. Reunion, 3. To Thornfield

So it's different from the Boston Pops recording (At Lowood, To Thornfield, The Return)? I was considering buying the score but it needs to match a commercially-available recording.