Hal Leonard Signature Editions

filmmusic

15 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

So is that the same version the LSO played? Did they just do it slowly?

I’m not familiar with the LSO version. My guess would that it’s the exact same JW has performed last year, which I guess would be the same one the LSO played. Especially that JW was supposed to conduct that concert. 

• 5 months later...

I have a question about the published Close Encounters suite. The passage I'm referring to can be heard at around 5:39 on the Dudamel recording.

This passage is in F major and the cellos and horns play what sounds to me like: C, F, A, C (rising notes). However, for some inexplicable reason, the cellos seem to replace the last C by a D on every recent performance. Is that how it's published? I swear that it wasn't performed on the original JW recording like this and it really sounds very illogical. Is this yet another typo? The same happened with Jane Eyre.

7 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I have a question about the published Close Encounters suite. The passage I'm referring to can be heard at around 5:39 on the Dudamel recording.

This passage is in F major and the cellos and horns play what sounds to me like: C, F, A, C (rising notes). However, for some inexplicable reason, the cellos seem to replace the last C by a D on every recent performance. Is that how it's published? I swear that it wasn't performed on the original JW recording like this and it really sounds very illogical. Is this yet another typo? The same happened with Jane Eyre.

You might actually be correct with the score, but I've listened on repeat to the Dudamel recording (the recent one with the LAP), and I don't hear the mistake; considering how extremely tonal the section is, a wrong note would stick out painfully, so I assume this has either been corrected by the musicians, or they've got a different copy of the music.

20191014_150352.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I came across this by complete accident, not even really knowing what these are.

https://bookline.hu/product/home.action?_v=Star_Wars_The_Rise_of_Skywalker&id=5333594&type=200

(Hal Leonard Publishing, 2020, 48 pages, preorderable with no date, lowres placeholder art)

40 minutes ago, Holko said:

I came across this by complete accident, not even really knowing what these are.

https://bookline.hu/product/home.action?_v=Star_Wars_The_Rise_of_Skywalker&id=5333594&type=200

(Hal Leonard Publishing, 2020, 48 pages, preorderable with no date, lowres placeholder art)

I believe that’s a piano book. Target shows a listing for a TROS piano book available 4/15 (though the description oddly says it will have themes from all 9 films) which is 48 pages. No list of selections yet:

https://www.target.com/p/star-wars-the-rise-of-skywalker-paperback/-/A-79542598

Hal Leonard announced the piano book in their January Herald, but for some reason, its publication has been delayed. I wouldn't be surprised if the book ends up just being a compilation of themes from all 9 films, with perhaps one or two themes from The Rise of Skywalker.

https://issuu.com/halleonard/docs/1318911_herald_january2020_web

• 1 month later...

Here are the contents of the piano folio from The Rise of Skywalker:

• Anthem of Evil (from STARS WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER)
  • Battle of the Resistance (from STARS WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER)
  • Destiny of a Jedi (from STARS WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER)
  • Fanfare and Prologue (from STARS WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER)
  • Farewell (from STARS WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER)
  • The Final Saber Duel (from STARS WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER)
  • The Force Is with You (from STARS WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER)
  • Journey to Exegol (from STARS WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER)
  • A New Home (from STARS WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER)
  • Reunion (from STARS WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER)
  • The Rise of Skywalker (from STAR WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER)
  • The Speeder Chase (from STARS WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER)
  • We Go Together (from STARS WARS: THE RISE OF SKYWALKER)

https://www.halleonard.com/product/329240/star-wars--the-rise-of-skywalker

2 hours ago, Falstaft said:

My copy arrived in the mail yesterday. Sad that it took so long, since it's actually a quite good piano album, maybe the best of the ST, yet few people seem to care about that now, 4 months after the film came out.

Waiting for my copy too!...and praying for an actual Signature Edition for TROS

Although we should be getting a Signature Edition for Music for Brass pretty soon (unless delayed by corona) so I'm sure we will be busy enough with that!

3 hours ago, carlborg said:

Although we should be getting a Signature Edition for Music for Brass pretty soon (unless delayed by corona) so I'm sure we will be busy enough with that!

Oooo this should be really fun to play with. Didn't know about it.

Really looking forward to an eventual signature edition for TROS for orchestra, though. I wonder if they'll just do the title track or something else.

On 4/16/2020 at 2:48 AM, carlborg said:

Waiting for my copy too!...and praying for an actual Signature Edition for TROS

did you see that on their site?

3 hours ago, WilliamsStarShip2282 said:

did you see that on their site?

If you're referring to Music for Brass, no, asked in an email to customer support.

Jan. 8: "the production team should have this ready near the end of April"

Update: Just confirmed that the publication has been delayed. It is still in the review process by JW. End of April estimate is no longer valid.

• 2 months later...

Any news of a TROS signature edition? I’d be surprised if it wouldn’t be released after TFA and TLJ got their concert suites published.

• 1 month later...

Future ideas for John Williams Signature Edition for Orchestra

1. Sugarland Express

2. Dear Basketball

3. Suite of War of The Worlds

4. "A New Beginning" from Minority Report

5. Cinderella Liberty

6. Music from The Towering Inferno

7. Music from The Fury

8.  Night Journeys from Dracula

9. Theme from Always

10. The River

What are your thought on those ideas?

On 7/24/2020 at 8:11 AM, mrbellamy said:

JWFan is pretty good at finding these things...I think it’s usually safe to assume if a thread hasn’t been bumped with news, there’s no news. 

Here's another one;

1. Music from Amazing Stories "Ghost Train", "Main Title" and "The Mission"

2. Highwood's Ghost

3. For New York

4. Scherzo for Piano and Orchestra

5. Swing, Swing, Swing from 1941

6. Treesong for Violin and Orchestra

7. Moonlight from Sabrina

8. Elegy for Cello and Orchestra

9. Christmas Star from Home Alone 2

10. On Willows and Birches for Harp and Orchestra

There's no point mucking about: how about the complete score to Empire in a study score version, like the yellow Ernst Eulenberg books? Now I'd pay some good dollar for that. One day, my brothers and sisters... one day.

Mark

Good question - I suppose the engravers would simply be restricted to whatever survived of the original pencil-and-paper scores. I seem to remember that Juillard's library will get WIlliams's personal archive when he finally disappears to become one with the Force, so it's possible.

Actually, will has engraved editions of all of his scores. A lot of it will probably never get released because the film studios are greedy, but also he handed all the publishing to Hal Leonard, who makes a ton of money already so their stuff isn't expensive, but at the same time they're not really a publisher like Boosey Hawkes for example. But the biggest hold up seems to be Williams ok-ing all of it. But that happened with Boulez, after he was gone his stuff became more readily available.

Just to let you know that the UK mail order company Presto Classical has 25% off all Hal Leonard stuff until the end of October:

https://www.prestomusic.com/sheet-music/promotions/hal-leonard/composers/470/browse

Not sure if they can post to non-UK addresses, but worth asking.

Mark