What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Mr. Breathmask

Which reminds me. I have to finish Dark City. I've seen 20 minutes and it can still go either way (in terms of quality). The version I've got is Director's Cut. Is it drastically different from the original?

Karol

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always liked THE CROW. Some of it was a tad annoying, but the mix of genre actors and the stylized look made it feel a lot more like a comic book than most comic book movies I've seen, in a good way.

I've just seen it for the first time and to me it felt like an amazingly dated B-movie made by a student. There was nothing about it that I liked.

I haven't seen Knowing but for now Dark City is his best effort.

But I think it really is quite impressive, Blade Runner and Metropolis wannabe though it is.

Saw I Love You, Man (2009). Forgettable, but I enjoyed it. Needed much more J.K. Simmons. And Needed to give Rashida Jones more to do.

I might have posted about this a couple of days ago...but at last I saw Coraline (2009). Regular projection. I didn't quite love it...I'm a huge Neil Gaiman fan, and the story felt like it was missing a bit of meat (though what's there is prime). But the film is rather intoxicating. First film I'm looking forward to seeing in 3D. Stop-motion is ideal for the 3D treatment, and this one is so rich in detail, I can imagine it might be the first wholly immersive 3D experiece. Great design, and generally a good job of expanding the book (even though the main character is somewhat undercut). Really liked Bruno Coulais' Elfman-esque score.

I haven't seen Knowing but for now Dark City is his best effort.

But I think it really is quite impressive, Blade Runner and Metropolis wannabe though it is.

From what I understand it's the precursor to The Matrix.

The Matrix used sets from Dark City (and they're still up at the Fox Studios Sydney lot)

The number 23: One of the most silly movies I've seen in a long time. Did Jim Carrey really think he was making another Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind with this garbage? After movies like Batman And Robin and The Number 23, how can Joel Schumacher still have a job?

Alex

No...he's generally pretty reliable. He's never met a script he couldn't make worse. That includes Phone Booth, Tigerland and (the overrated) Falling Down.

No...he's generally pretty reliable. He's never met a script he couldn't make worse. That includes Phone Booth, Tigerland and (the overrated) Falling Down.

Phone Booth was perfect material for Sidney Lumet.

Captain Blood and The Adventures of Robin Hood were both on TCM today, on a tribute to their director marathon. I didn't get to see them both in their entirety, but I did see the majority of both. I had no idea how good they are. I've got to keep my eyes open for them on DVD.

Yes, I saw them too (well, Captain Blood anyways, I have The Adventures of Robin Hood practically memorized already). I enjoyed the film quite a bit, though it took me half the film to adjust to Errol Flynn's hairstyle.

Man On Fire on Blu

Warming up for Pelham 123 this weekend.

...warming up for how terrible it's going to be? It looks absolutely horrendous.

Saw The Brothers Bloom (2009). Pacing, pacing, pacing. That's where this film lost me. The first three quarters were absolutely tremendous. I thought I'd found a new favorite. It was bubbling with enthusiasm and creativity. But then there was a really crushing gear change, and it didn't get me back until the last couple of minutes of the film. The first three quarters still make me kinda love it, though. Maybe in time I'll get the rest of it. Good performances by all. I didn't feel like it was too Wes Anderson, save for the Cat Stevens track.

Captain Blood and The Adventures of Robin Hood were both on TCM today, on a tribute to their director marathon. I didn't get to see them both in their entirety, but I did see the majority of both. I had no idea how good they are. I've got to keep my eyes open for them on DVD.

they are much better than many films today, and in the case of the Adventures of Robin Hood, better than anything thats come out in 2009.

Captain Blood's battle scenes are top notch.

they are much better than many films today, and in the case of the Adventures of Robin Hood, better than anything thats come out in 2009.

Pish posh, the music by Korngold is way too fancy, melodic, relies too much on leitmotif principles, and just plain gets in the way of me just wanting to watch the damn movie without aural distractions. We need Remote Control to re-score it with unobtrusive and standardized stock music to suck any obtrusive identity away that this score might have thought it had.

While I understand you are being facetious, Drax, I have to say that I think Korngold had the tendency, along with many other "Golden Age" composers, to over-score films, the two aforementioned films being no exception. The music was not bad, but it could be a bit over-bearing at times.

While I understand you are being facetious, Drax, I have to say that I think Korngold had the tendency, along with many other "Golden Age" composers, to over-score films, the two aforementioned films being no exception. The music was not bad, but it could be a bit over-bearing at times.

I agree, melodrama and operatic style cinema should never be accentuated by late-Romantic idioms... ever!!

I agree, melodrama and operatic style cinema should never be accentuated by late-Romantic idioms... ever!!

I was just saying that I would have preferred a more conservative approach to the music. No need to get aggressive....

You should be glad, I personally get depressed every time I see the ending. I agree, though, a great foreshadowing of wonderful things to come from Steven Spielberg. Though I am happy with being a teenager, sometimes I wish I was born a lot earlier so I could follow the career of directors like Steven Spielberg....

Pish posh, the music by Korngold is way too fancy, melodic, relies too much on leitmotif principles, and just plain gets in the way of me just wanting to watch the damn movie without aural distractions. We need Remote Control to re-score it with unobtrusive and standardized stock music to suck any obtrusive identity away that this score might have thought it had.

Well you're gonna get that since Ridley Scott is directing Robin Hood (2009). I'm interested to see what Marc Streitenfeld comes up with.

Well you're gonna get that since Ridley Scott is directing Robin Hood (2009). I'm interested to see what Marc Streitenfeld comes up with.

Hopefully another film score with no identifiable personality of its own. Just the way I like it!

Lord Of War: Sorry Morlock, but I didn't really like it. The words were often intelligently written but I just couldn't care for it all. It was a voiceover overload (to glue everything together, I'm sure), there was the cliché screwed up brother but with a moral voice, the film's obvious message (typical for Andrew Niccol) which sometimes popped its head up at the wrong time, the waisted characters of the wife and Ian Holm, the overall lack of drama. I just checked Rotten Tomatoes to see if I was losing it, but fortunately most critics had problems with it. Yes, it was watchable but ultimately unremarkable.

Alex

Lord Of War: Sorry Morlock, but I didn't really like it. The words were often intelligently written but I just couldn't care for it all. It was a voiceover overload (to glue everything together, I'm sure), there was the cliché screwed up brother but with a moral voice, the film's obvious message (typical for Andrew Niccol) which sometimes popped its head up at the wrong time, the waisted characters of the wife and Ian Holm, the overall lack of drama. I just checked Rotten Tomatoes to see if I was losing it, but fortunately most critics had problems with it. Yes, it was watchable but ultimately unremarkable.

Alex

It was drowning in it's own aren't-we-ironic-little-bastards mode.

He hasn't come up with anything interesting so far, at least for Scott's movie. His music was serviceable, but forgettable. Why Scott doesn't work with Hans anymore is beyond me.

I'm interested in buying the score to either. I see some re-arrangements and/or condensed versions of Captain Blood at SAE for inexpensive, which I might buy. Is there a complete score available?

Also, when choosing to buy the score to The Adventures of Robin Hood, which is the better plan? Buy this 43 minute CD album (http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=9291), or buy the two-disc DVD set with the isolated score, and rip it myself? I might buy the DVD anyways, because I missed the beginning of the film, and Prince John gives such a delicious performance as villain that it deserves to be watched again, but I want to know if the CD album contains anything the iso score doesn't.

The Varese is a re-recording. I was going to recommend the complete recording done by William Stromberg & John Morgan on the Marco Polo label but it sadly seems to have already gone out of print. Perhaps Naxos will re-issue it on their cheaper label.

http://www.moviemusic.com/soundtrack/adven...sofrobinhood-mp

I saw a 2004 issue on the Membran label for $24.99 but it claims the condition is acceptable. It's the same cover art as the 1997 Tsunami seen at SoundtrackCollector, but even with a run time of 78:06, I'm wary of "acceptable." Acceptable is ok for $15 but not $27 after shipping.

He hasn't come up with anything interesting so far, at least for Scott's movie. His music was serviceable, but forgettable. Why Scott doesn't work with Hans anymore is beyond me.

You kidding? He's a 3 for 3 in my opinion. His score for A Good Year wasn't anything special really, but it had some nice moments, especially considering that it was only 20 minutes long. Others may not be able to tell, but he already has a sound of his own. Very subtle music, with some great underlying themes.

Well I guess yeah, he is somewhat forgettable. But I feel Robin Hood will be his big break. Since he really can't use his subtle synth style for it like he did for American Gangster and Body Of Lies, I'm wondering if he is going to compose something more grand and large.

I too don't understand why Ridley Scott doesn't use Zimmer anymore. I know Zimmer couldn't compose Kingdom Of Heaven because of scheduling. I think that was a good thing, since it allowed Harry Gregson-Williams to compose his best score.

You kidding? He's a 3 for 3 in my opinion. His score for A Good Year wasn't anything special really, but it had some nice moments, especially considering that it was only 20 minutes long. Others may not be able to tell, but he already has a sound of his own. Very subtle music, with some great underlying themes.

Well I guess yeah, he is somewhat forgettable. But I feel Robin Hood will be his big break. Since he really can't use his subtle synth style for it like he did for American Gangster and Body Of Lies, I'm wondering if he is going to compose something more grand and large.

Hopefully, however, he should have proved his value already.

After having Goldsmith, Vangelis, Zimmer and even Gregson-Williams by his side, choosing Streitenfeld to be his composer is an odd choice on the part of Scott.

Sounds like every other flimsy come-and-go Nicholas Cage bore-a-thon.

It's not good, but it's definitely way better than most of his recent films.

Yep, it beats Ghost Rider without even trying.

Alex

Oh well, to each his own. I absolutely loved it. I know a lot of people didn't like it. David Denby is one of the few critics who really liked it (I think Stephanie Zacharek and Ebert were the only others), and his review just about perfectly captured my opinions regarding the film.

Just saw Midnight (1939) at the cinematheque. Directed by Mitchell Leison, written by Charles Bracket and Billy Wilder, starring Claudette Colbert, John Barrymore, and a remarkably young Don Ameche. Brilliant romantic comedy. I laughed long, hard and often. One of the richest comedy screenplays I think I've ever seen filmed. Almost no real clunkers. I loved, loved, loved this film.