What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Mr. Breathmask

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious, but why is there even a need to close existing threads when they reach over 100 pages?

Hey, I just realized that one of the first films posted on the first page of Part 3 was Unbreakable, and it was also the last film posted on Part 3. Cool.

Just curious, but why is there even a need to close existing threads when they reach over 100 pages?

Very long threads tend to have loading problems.

He better not close my hallowed Trek thread

I damn well will.

Very long threads tend to have loading problems.

Ah, I see.

indy4 - preparing for "Word Assocation Game - Part Trois"

Legend of Bagger Vance

I love pleasant movies like this. Apart from some of the subplot with the kid, I like all of it.

Marc- trying to silence me once again, eh? This is the only thread that remains that has at least a modicum of sanity!

Morlock- who saw Hellboy II and liked it a lot.

Halloween

A classic. It's hard to give enough credit to the people who designed the Michael Myers mask; so simple, yet so perfectly iconic.

It's also hard to give enough credit to John Carpenter's score. Sure, it's repetitive. So what? It's also about as effective as scores can get; like the mask design, it's so simple, and yet utterly iconic. In terms of its effectiveness, I'd think it's got to rank pretty high up on the list of best scores in film history. As a film composer, Carpenter did other good work later on, but he never again hit one out of the park like he did with Halloween.

I suspect I will never allow an October to go by without watching this movie at least once.

He better not close my hallowed Trek thread

I damn well will.

You want blood on your hands?

There Will Be Blood - D.D.Lewis's hammy OTT acting deserved the Oscar. That's about all though.

King Kong (2005).

Can't believe I never saw this movie when it came out, or at least some time before now. It was very good. I watched it in two sittings though as I went out for dinner, so the length thing wasn't too much of an issue for me.

There was some bizarre editing choices in it which lost me a little bit, and the script wasn't the strongest. Still, the effects for the beast himself and the chemistry he had with the beauty was astounding. I'd heard a lot about the far-fethedness of some of the action sequences, but I found them exciting and enjoyable enough to take them too seriously. The T-Rex animation was brilliant, considering you don't really see many major attempts at recreating the animals outside of Jurassic Park.

All of the actors were strong too, there really wasn't a weak link at all. Jack Black was great, but Watts was truly mesmerising. She really helped bring the ape to life. Let's not get started on Andy Serkis. The man is just brilliant.

Very, very impressed. I give it 4 stars (out of 5).

It's hard to give enough credit to the people who designed the Michael Myers mask; so simple, yet so perfectly iconic.

No one designed it, it's just William Shatner.

Uh . . . no.

The mask began life as a William Shatner/Captain Kirk mask, but it was repainted and the eye holes were widened, and there may have been other modifications, as well. The final product looks nothing like Shatner whatsoever. That's called "design" in my book.

Last night we watched:

514oOUVVInL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

I haven't been that big of a Sandler fan over the years, for I feel as though his movies are pretty much the same silly character just with different voices..... but there was something about this one. Maybe I was in a silly mood, but it was actually really funny. Just something about the way he fought, danced... I dunno... it was really funny. I thought.

And then, after Michele went to bed, I finally got to watch:

51JupKMzKnL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Holy pooznizzle. This movie felt SO real. It was really terrifying. I don't scare easily, but again like Zohan, there was just something about this one that really got me going. I haven't been so scared of someone knocking on the door, since I saw Vacancy. Which this movie really reminds me of. It got a little ... hollywood'ish during the climatic chase through the woods.... but overall, it did its job.

Today, God help me, is Indy 4 (which I missed in the theater, so I haven't seen it yet... virgin viewing today), and after watching the South Park season premier a few hours ago (after wiping my eyes from the tears from laughter) got me wanting to see this more than ever.

Followed by, and again God please help me, The Happening.

Something tells me that I'm about to enjoy last nights movies more.

Ok, just finished KOTS.

I think I approached this the right way, and that is going into it knowing that alot of people hated it and that it was tedious, overly ridiculous, and that it was NOT an Indy movie.

That being said, I quite liked it.

Sure, it wasn't great and there were things that were just plain duh (Fridge, Snake, Waterfalls..etc..) but in defense of Indy movies in general, all of the movies had some pretty ridiculous moments in them. All in all, it was a fun romp. It was entertaining enough for a dull Sunday.

Now, onto the Happening. I don't think I'm gonna have the same reaction to this one! ;)

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest & Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End

Lots of things to like, but a plot so convoluted with characters switching loyalties so many times that I just completely gave up trying to follow the story.

These films are at their best when they are not concentrating on either their storylines or their incredibly drawn out action scenes. Unfortunatly I think that does not happen often enough.

Entertaining?

Very.

Good?

Hmmm...I don't think so, not as good as the first one.

I hear they plan to make a fourth?

How can the go bigger and more absurd then the last hour of At World's End?

I would hope the fourth one would be smaller. Jack vs. Barbossa, straight up with no complications, is my dream scenario.

Dead Man's Chest is still my favorite of the series. It's overlong but holds up very well, and has that great ending. At World's End, though, is an overcomplcated, illogical, convoluted mess. Just a bunch of set pieces thrown together with no thought of plot or story structure.

King Kong (2005).

Can't believe I never saw this movie when it came out, or at least some time before now. It was very good. I watched it in two sittings though as I went out for dinner, so the length thing wasn't too much of an issue for me.

There was some bizarre editing choices in it which lost me a little bit, and the script wasn't the strongest. Still, the effects for the beast himself and the chemistry he had with the beauty was astounding. I'd heard a lot about the far-fethedness of some of the action sequences, but I found them exciting and enjoyable enough to take them too seriously. The T-Rex animation was brilliant, considering you don't really see many major attempts at recreating the animals outside of Jurassic Park.

All of the actors were strong too, there really wasn't a weak link at all. Jack Black was great, but Watts was truly mesmerising. She really helped bring the ape to life. Let's not get started on Andy Serkis. The man is just brilliant.

Very, very impressed. I give it 4 stars (out of 5).

;)

Dead Man's Chest did not seem to have much in the way of a coherent story either. it had better action scenes though. (the hanging cages and the wheel fight looked like real stunt work, while AWE's big action climax just looks like CGI. I suppose ILM did a great job, but none of it looked remotely credible to me.

The problem with the first film is that it's action and speci8al effects scenes were far to loooong, and boring and that the real joy lied in the characters.

The 2 later films have the same problem, but worse.

I do like the sequel scores more though, unlike the first, Hans Zimmer actually scores the comedy with something other then apocalyptic "the world is gonna end" music.

I have the first two. I borrowed the third from my cousin a few months ago, and made up my mind before it was even half done that I wouldn't bother getting it myself.

The three way sword fight at the end of DMC is the pinnacle of the series' action scenes, really one of the best ever IMO. And it does look like it was all done practically, no CG.

Wow!! Just watched The Happening!!!

Best film of the year!

I don't know what the critics were talking about!

Marky Mark and Zoohaenalie were incredible! Their performances were absolutely not cardboard and insipid, they should be studied for aspiring actors! The dialogue is up there with the best! And boy-oh-boy was it scary!!

When Marky started talking to the tree, I was nearly on the verge of a full blown panic attack! WHAT IF THE WIND IS IN THE HOUSE?!?!?!

Yay M-Knight.

Keep making movies.

Well I'm stupefied. I will just live under the assumption that post was...comedic...right? Hehe...yes...comedy. That was a knee-slapper Johnny!

No, I'm 100% serious. I'm still blown away. I may have to watch all 90 mins again. I don't think my mind absorbed the awesome that this movie beholds.

This movie was so....

wait for it....

I have the first two. I borrowed the third from my cousin a few months ago, and made up my mind before it was even half done that I wouldn't bother getting it myself.

The three way sword fight at the end of DMC is the pinnacle of the series' action scenes, really one of the best ever IMO. And it does look like it was all done practically, no CG.

My daughter owns all 3 of them on DVD so that's the extent of my viewing.

I agree. I'd even go as far as to say the spinning wheel scene is one of the best action sequences of the 2000s.

Wow!! Just watched The Happening!!!

Best film of the year!

I don't know what the critics were talking about!

Marky Mark and Zoohaenalie were incredible! Their performances were absolutely not cardboard and insipid, they should be studied for aspiring actors! The dialogue is up there with the best! And boy-oh-boy was it scary!!

When Marky started talking to the tree, I was nearly on the verge of a full blown panic attack! WHAT IF THE WIND IS IN THE HOUSE?!?!?!

Yay M-Knight.

Keep making movies.

I think this is sarcasm, but I don't care.

I really liked it as well. Not enough to say it's the best film of the year, but I enjoyed it a lot. The acting was good as some points, bad at others. But as a whole it was a great film.

I think this is sarcasm, but I don't care.

I really liked it as well. Not enough to say it's the best film of the year, but I enjoyed it a lot. The acting was good as some points, bad at others. But as a whole it was a great film.

Um, yes it was total sarcasm. Great film?!?! Now I like some pretty bad movies, but this was almost unbearable to watch. At first, it was kinda cool. I thought I could get into it. But, about 30 mins into it... it just went bad. BAAAAD dialogue, for me, killed it. And Zooey looking wide eyed and STUPID most of the time didn't help matters. And then, like I said before, when Marky started talking to the tree? I mean come on. That was good? And the whole little story line with the old lady.... COME ON!!

Now, this is coming from someone who liked... Pearl Harbor, Amazon Women on the Moon, and even Howard The Duck! So, for this to make me say is bad.... says a lot.

I watched "Batman Returns" last night. Despite the opinions of the mass population, I really like this film. I think Danny DeVito is the only person who could successfully accomplish a live-action Penguin.

The only person who could do it? No way, even though he did do a great job (with the very different take on the character).

But as well as Danny DeVito? That being said, however, I cannot imagine Herr DeVito in Christopher Nolan's Batman films (nor did I imagine Jack Nicholson in "The Dark Knight", which is why I think that Jack Nicholson was just being a "sour grape" when he became furious that he did not get the part).

But as well as Danny DeVito? That being said, however, I cannot imagine Herr DeVito in Christopher Nolan's Batman films (nor did I imagine Jack Nicholson in "The Dark Knight", which is why I think that Jack Nicholson was just being a "sour grape" when he became furious that he did not get the part).

Well, his Penguin (or rather, Tim Burton's) could not fit in Nolan's films for obvious reasons. However he could certainly play a different version of the character in a Nolan film if it was really called for (one closer to the comic counterpart), but I doubt that will ever happen. As for Nicholson, he's way too old.

I am simply stating that I do not think Tom Cruise would make a good Penguin. I was addressing the question to others who posted above. Forgive me for any possible confusion.

EDIT: And, before you accuse me of more "blanket dismissals", yes, I have seen Tom Cruise in "Tropic Thunder". Relax. It was only a joke.

Couldn't care less about The Penguin, myself. He sucks in Batman Returns (worst part of a mostly good movie); he sucks in the '60s tv show; he sucks in the comics. I hope I never have to suffer through another incarnation of him again.

The Fog

No, not that one. The original.

Pretty good movie, but not as good as I remembered it being. There are some very effective scares, and some beautifully staged scenes, but mostly, all the good parts are in the first half of the movie. Once the fog really hits the town, the movie kinda falls apart. Still, overall, it's good, and it's certainly better than what passes for a horror movie these days. (Didja see the remake? F---ing terrible.)