What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Mr. Breathmask

I saw the first episode of John Adams, the much appraised TV series. Up till now, it feels like a typical BBC adaptation of a historical story. Not bad but nothing special, really.

Alex

• Replies 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Emmy is hardly a barometer of tv excellence. I'm always happy when a show I like wins one, but really, those awards are kinda meaningless. They're nowhere near the prestige level of, say, the Oscar; and the Oscar doesn't mean as much as it used to mean.

I don't know, The Sopranos got a lot of Emmy Awards too and most people (and critics) agree that the show deserved them. Other shows that received many Emmy Awards and that I can think of are Hill Street Blues, Deadwood and Six Feet Under. These are all very widely respected shows. I can't remember when everyone agreed on the Oscars. Oscar favorites usually aren't critics' favorites.

BTW, John Adams scores high with the public and critics too.

I think that John Adams cinematography took it down several notches. And it is a rather 'stately' show. But I think it's worth it, if only for Stephen Dillane's Jefferson. Music in the series ain't too bad.

The Mist.

Oh, boy. There are some nice single shots in this movie, like the one when they drive the car and then this gigantic monster crosses their way. But it is so boring and predictable. I anticipated such an ending. And the CGI monsters were really lame. Was it really Darabont's work? The only "almost good" asspect of this film is about the religious fanaticism. Very overdone (like always in King's work) and silly, but still probably the scariest thing in it. The wailing vocals in the score worked this time quite well, I think.

Karol

The wailing vocals were by Lisa Gerrard and Dead Can Dance, I believe. The film has a lot of stuff going for it. But I think it shows far too much too often.

The three way sword fight at the end of DMC is the pinnacle of the series' action scenes, really one of the best ever IMO. And it does look like it was all done practically, no CG.

I agree. I'd even go as far as to say the spinning wheel scene is one of the best action sequences of the 2000s.

It was good, but wore out it's welcome a bit, like all the action sequences in this series.

Can someone just tell me what the onscreen text at the beginning of Burn After Reading says? I don't understand the Russian text of the version I have.

It comes up as a man walks through the corridors of the office block. Cheers.

I would be. And what was the point of The Scarecrow in "The Dark Knight", again?

Just to show that he was still around, not to mention being a full-fledged costumed criminal. It wasn't a completion of his storyline from Batman Begins, because that had already been dealt with in that movie. I wouldn't be surprised if he's in the next film as well.

Can someone just tell me what the onscreen text at the beginning of Burn After Reading says? I don't understand the Russian text of the version I have.

Something to the effect of "C.I.A Headquarters, Langley, Virginia". I saw it again last night, and I'm almost certain that that's all there was.

Enjoyed it immensly the second time, BTW, and I'm surprised by how many of the people I've recommended it to have enjoyed it. All of them, as a matter of fact.

Saw Paul Schrader's Mishima: A Life in Four Parts. Everything the word of mouth promised it would be.

The Mist.

The wailing vocals in the score worked this time quite well, I think.

Karol

Funny that. I found the wailing vocals to be utterly over the top, laughably so. The film was a glorified popcorn thriller, nothing more. Lisa Gerrard's inclusion turned it into a parody.

Something to the effect of "C.I.A Headquarters, Langley, Virginia". I saw it again last night, and I'm almsot certain that that's all there was.

Ah thanks, I suspected it was the CIA or some other government agency. Cheers for the help. I haven't watched it yet actually. Do you recommend it?

Just to show that he was still around, not to mention being a full-fledged costumed criminal. It wasn't a completion of his storyline from Batman Begins, because that had already been dealt with in that movie. I wouldn't be surprised if he's in the next film as well.

If there is a next film. Nolan has said that he will not do another one unless he is emotionally involved with the script. He also said "third" films are usually bad, so that's another reason for him not to do another. I don't get it though, if another is made he would probably write the script, so what would he do? Write it, submit it to himself and say "Hmm, it needs work."

The Mist.

The wailing vocals in the score worked this time quite well, I think.

Karol

Funny that. I found the wailing vocals to be utterly over the top, laughably so. The film was a glorified popcorn thriller, nothing more. Lisa Gerrard's inclusion turned it into a parody.

Something to the effect of "C.I.A Headquarters, Langley, Virginia". I saw it again last night, and I'm almsot certain that that's all there was.

Ah thanks, I suspected it was the CIA or some other government agency. Cheers for the help. I haven't watched it yet actually. Do you recommend it?

Indeed I do. Though prepared for strange by Coen Brothers standards, and know that the movie is about stupidity. Either way it has some of the funniest scenes I've seen (I was literally in tears at one point).

If there is a next film. Nolan has said that he will not do another one unless he is emotionally involved with the script. He also said "third" films are usually bad, so that's another reason for him not to do another. I don't get it though, if another is made he would probably write the script, so what would he do? Write it, submit it to himself and say "Hmm, it needs work."

Actually his brother Jonah would probably write it, with Nolan helping to form the story with David Goyer. Or at least that's what was done with TDK. I'm sure he'll come back for a third and probably final installment, it will just take a while for him to around to wanting to do it. He said the same thing about not necessarily doing a sequel after Batman Begins.

I would be. And what was the point of The Scarecrow in "The Dark Knight", again?

Hm. Thank you. Nice new avatar, by the way, Koray.

Couldn't care less about The Penguin, myself. He sucks in Batman Returns (worst part of a mostly good movie); he sucks in the '60s tv show; he sucks in the comics. I hope I never have to suffer through another incarnation of him again.

He didn't suck in the cartoon (of course, I can't think of much that did).

I think Warner Bros will eventually make a third film with or without Nolan's participation.

Definitely. It's just that Nolan is the best person for it. The last time WB switched directors things didn't turn out so well (Joel Schumacher, anyone).

Season two finale of Mad Men.

Had several of the best scenes of the entire series to date. A great finale to a great season.

Anybody see Jon Hamm on Saturday Night Live this weekend? I thought he was hilarious. I would imagine he boosted his star quite a bit. "Jon Hamm's 'John Ham' " immediately became one of my favorite skits of all time. The rest of the show wasn't quite up to that level of divine silliness, but it was solid, way more so than SNL has been in the last few years. Maybe the show is on the rise again.

Anybody see Jon Hamm on Saturday Night Live this weekend? I thought he was hilarious. I would imagine he boosted his star quite a bit. "Jon Hamm's 'John Ham' " immediately became one of my favorite skits of all time. The rest of the show wasn't quite up to that level of divine silliness, but it was solid, way more so than SNL has been in the last few years. Maybe the show is on the rise again.

Overall, I thought it was very good, I'd even say it was as "solid as Barr-ack!"

Jon Hamm's John Ham was brilliant, but my favorite was the map sequence of Weekend Update. Absoutely hilarious.

I wouldn't say it was one of the bests of recent years, but it was definetly in the higher range.

Butsville was pretty funny, too.

The Vincent Price show was also very funny. Hamm's impersonation of James Mason was excellent; I'd never have expected that type of comedy from the guy who plays Don Draper, but apparently, he's got it in him.

As far as I know, there was never any such thing as the Vincent Price Show; of course, I haven't looked into it, so I could be dead wrong.

The skit seemed mainly to be an excuse for Jon Hamm, Bill Hader, the scrumptious Kristen Wiig, and Fred Armisen to do semi-obscure impressions.

The Counterfeiters

I enjoyed it. Always nice to see a protagonist that isn't defined as merely "bad" or "good," and has some depth to him. I really enjoyed the opening 10 or so minutes with almost no dialogue coming from the main character. The film overall is a great example of very lean editing, the kind of which is rarely, if ever, adopted in Hollywood. I'd heard that the score was particularly noteworthy with it's tango music but I didn't notice it that much. Certainly didn't hurt the film.

The Fisher King

I almost liked it. There is a lot of absurd stuff going on. Like the romance thing, which was funny. But the overall premise (the Grail and such) seemed meh to me. I couldn't care for Bridges character much. I liked the wacky side of the score. And the red knight looked nice. A little more grounded and less surreal approach was needed to make it work, I think.

Karol

It's probably my favorite Gilliam movie, though that doesn't mean I'm a big fan. I think it's a very likable movie, both Williams and Bridges are good in it, as is Mercedes Reuhl (not sure about the spelling, but she one an oscar for her role in the film). It gets lost with the Grail search. Still, any movie that ends with Robin Williams and Jeff Bridges naked in Central Park can't be bad.

Saw Mike Leigh's Happy-Go-Lucky this morning. Fantastic film, one of the best I've seen this year.

Still, any movie that ends with Robin Williams and Jeff Bridges naked in Central Park can't be bad.

Great! Just when I try to forget about all this. :D

Karol

Talking of Gilliam (whom I love), I finally got around to watching Brazil after all these years. I nearly didn't make it all the way through, I really struggled with it, in that I just couldn't get into the story. I didn't enjoy it at all to be honest. Strange for me and this sort of thing.

One thing that will stick with me though is the sight of Robert De Niro sliding out of the apartment block on the wire. Flippin' hilarious, I rewound it about five times!

Talking of Gilliam (whom I love), I finally got around to watching Brazil after all these years. I nearly didn't make it all the way through, I really struggled with it, in that I just couldn't get into the story. I didn't enjoy it at all to be honest. Strange for me and this sort of thing.

This exact same thing happened to me a few months ago. Strange film.

Saw Mike Leigh's Happy-Go-Lucky this morning. Fantastic film, one of the best I've seen this year.

You know . . . this probably doesn't say anything good about me, but every once in a while I will watch a movie simply because it has a woman in it I think is hot. I don't know who the actress in that movie is, but when I saw the trailer, I sat up, said "Whoo!", and decided that I would be seeing that movie.

But it looks good, so I'd probably have seen it anyways.

Also, for God's sake, are there no Terry Gilliam fans around here?!? You people talking about your aversion to masterpieces like Brazil and The Fisher King are weirding me out.

Escape From New York

Mildly entertaining b-movie nonsense. This is another John Carpenter movie I'd not seen in years, and it's another letdown (after The Fog, that's two in a row). I still like it; but it's a case of liking it against my better judgment.

I'm not a Gilliam fan myself, but that's largely due to the fact that all I've seen is the last 20 minutes of Time Bandits.

That would be enough to make me a fan, if I wasn't already one.

Escape From New York

Mildly entertaining b-movie nonsense. This is another John Carpenter movie I'd not seen in years, and it's another letdown (after The Fog, that's two in a row). I still like it; but it's a case of liking it against my better judgment.

God I love that movie! It's too cool for school, as is Plissken himself. I wish Carpenter would find mojo again an return to making kick ass movies like EfNY.

I know for a fact that there are many fans of 12 Monkeys.

Aye. I want to see Brazil again, but it *was* weird. It's been years since I've seen it, and the good DVD still seems rather expensive.

And for the record, I rather enjoyed Brothers Grimm.

Don't you have any good rental places in the area? I rarely buy films, I use have a fantastic DVD place. The Criterion DVD of Brazil is terrific, I found Gilliam's commentary fascinating, even though I am not inclined to liking his stuff. Lost in La Mancha did wonders for my sympathy for him.

I've yet to see the Brothers Grimm or Tideland. I've actually heard a bunch of good stuff about the former, even though I understand many were quite dissapointed. And I've become a Dario Marianelli fan, which doesn't hurt.

After seeing and loving Hellboy II, I decided to check the first one out again. It didn't leave much of an impression the first time I saw it. Rented the 3-DVD Director's Cut. I don't understand the talk of the second film being the action-y one...after the introductions, this film jumps from one action scene to another. And after the first (fantastic) sequence, I did not feel that the action was particularly well executed. I was bored. I totally tuned out during the last 45 minutes or so. It's a likable movie, sure, but even a second viewing doesn't help cement it in my mind. Which is a shame, since the second one is some much good. The second one does suffer narratively....but I still liked just about all of it.

Aye. I want to see Brazil again, but it *was* weird. It's been years since I've seen it, and the good DVD still seems rather expensive.

Well, Gilliam's a weird guy.