Upcoming Films

Quintus

6 minutes ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

Are you talking about the Terminator franchise? Because Terminator 2 is a must-see. One of the best action movies of the nineties!

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

No, he was talking about Transformers..... since that's what the 4 posts before his were all about :P

Indeed!

You thought Paramount set release dates for Terminator 5, 6, and 7, even thought Terminator 5 came out last summer and bombed so hard they canceled the sequel?

Transformers 1 is only the second film in my entire life I wanted to walk out of in the theater (I managed to stay until the bitter end).  It was so bad I would never see it again nor any of its sequels ever.

They are movies aimed at today's teenagers.

The Transformers films are dumbed down compared to a lot of other blockbusters, though.  Think of Transformers 2 as one end of the spectrum and Winter Soldier at the other

1 hour ago, Jay said:

The Transformers films are dumbed down compared to a lot of other blockbusters, though.  Think of Transformers 2 as one end of the spectrum and Winter Soldier at the other

Don't you think the Nolan blockbusters represent the other end of the spectrum better than Marvel? Or are they dumb too?

I would say Nolan and LOTR are generally accepted as modern standards for relatively high-minded, ambitious blockbusters that remain wildly popular with the LCD. I mean, that's impossible to quantify but I can say nothing from Marvel has ever really stuck with me. It's all fairly competent but I would list a bunch of stuff before hitting the best of the MCU, personally, including a lot of flawed shit like Force Awakens, the Harry Potters, 21st century Spielberg minus Indy 4, or Avatar, for greater expressivity and emotional intelligence if nothing else.

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Transformers 1 is only the second film in my entire life I wanted to walk out of in the theater (I managed to stay until the bitter end).  It was so bad I would never see it again nor any of its sequels ever.

They are movies aimed at today's teenagers.

All the actual transformer fights are good, but anything that requires a human character to speak is absolute shit.

1 minute ago, Drax said:

Only Lucas' vision matters.

TFA is not canon

The Disney "films" have turned Star Wars into a blatant ca$h grab.  I miss the old days when filmmakers were more preoccupied with creating complex iconic characters like Count Dooku and General Grievous than selling action figures.

Lucas has more creativity in his pinkie than Abrams has in his entire body.  He wrote the scripts, created approved entirely new worlds and creatures, and invented new ways of film making so he could sit down while directing.  

It's one of the best scenes in the PT. I like how they have to get creative to survive. I like how the characters of Anakin and Obi-Wan are kind of reversed. Ani uses the force to calm down the rhino thing and then Obi viciously murders that crab thing. The tiger thing gratuitously strips Padme's shirt. It's like they just wanted to have fun and have a fun monster scene. It really stands out because almost none of the other scenes in the PT are like that.

Just saw a trailer on tv for Through The Looking Glass. 

It featured an awful cover of the Jefferson Airplane song. Was it like Lady Gaga or something? Ugh.

Never seen the first and have no interest, but wiki tells me "Fifty Shades Darker scheduled to be released on February 10, 2017 and Fifty Shades Freed on February 9, 2018"