Upcoming Films

Quintus

Yes it always seemed stupid to me and I was surprised I had some friends that watched it (they were a bit younger than me, though).  My younger brother watched it too

7 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I've never ever seen a single episode. The show seemed to always be on air though

I've seen my fair few at this stage. It's horrible but harmless cartoon nonsense. There's always a nice blonde I've noticed. 

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

From what little I've read they want to make the new Arthur the most physically imposing the King Of The Britons has ever been.

Looks like just another Hollywood muscle fest to me.

The Brits need a proper hero after Brexit.

#MakeBritainGreatAgain

4 hours ago, Richard said:

We already have the difinitive King Arthur film. We don't need any more.

Last time I watched it I felt it needed to be updated. Maybe it was once visually arresting, but today a lot of it looks like a cheap TV movie.

A meaningful version? I can't think of any either. There's a serious lack of interesting directors with their own style and occasionally something to say in the upper layers of Hollywood. Perhaps Nolan can be bothered to give the Arthurian legends his customary pseudo-realistic/philosophical treatment one day.

I know what you mean and I get the sarcasm of you mentioning Nolan but it is indeed a modern problem in cinema. Nobody in the commercial sector does layered cinema anymore. It's all flash and by tomorrow we already have forgotten about it.

We may complain about Spielberg's filmic commentary on history or politics as being rather vanilla and save. But at least he's still making those kinds of films. And they do represent his, rather humanist, view of 'Merica and the world at large.

Would JJ even dream of tackling a project so potentially "risky" as Lincoln or Munich were?

28 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Last time I watched it I felt it needed to be updated. Maybe it was once visually arresting, but today a lot of it looks like a cheap TV movie.

It's still visually arresting! Alex Thompson's photography is brilliant.

So what, if it looks like a cheap TV movie. Viewed now, GWTW looks like a racist soap-opera. It's what it meant at the time, that matters most. I think that it stands up well, compared to more contemporary retellings, and it has Helen Mirren, not to mention the director's daughter.

Hmm...Igraine...

Just now, Richard said:

It's still visually arresting!

A few years ago, I watch it in HD and was very disappointed. I was much better in my memory. 

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Have you revisited Deliverance in recent years Alex? Please tell me it is still ok!

Also a bit disappointing but not so much that I craved for an update. ;)

22 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

We may complain about Spielberg's filmic commentary on history or politics as being rather vanilla and save. But at least he's still making those kinds of films. And they do represent his, rather humanist, view of 'Merica and the world at large.

Would JJ even dream of tackling a project so potentially "risky" as Lincoln or Munich were?

I always forget how much we agree on this point.  These films always have a very strong POV, politically and philosophically, that I really like.  As we're seeing, the values he is illustrating are not as vanilla and agreed-upon as you might think.