Upcoming Films

Quintus

2 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Is it your thing, Disco? Almost everything on TV is whodunit. I can't say that I'm still fascinated by it. I haven't been for decades.

To be clear, I'm not talking about your Boneses, your NCSI:SUV:LasNewVegases or whatever.  I like the ones that are like having a very relaxing cup of tea, maybe with a little something extra added ;).  It's a genre the UK invented, the lighthearted TV/film murder mystery.

Trailer not bad though ... Somewhat burlesque ... you know, to keep the eyes interested. It looks like they filmed it digital too.

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

They're both fine.  Just...fine, whatever.

He hasn't shown the spark of true greatness in over 20 years.  He lost his mojo after Hamlet.

Indeed. Everything he's done over the last couple years have been "competent", at best, gigs done for a pay cheque.

No, it was some kind of '80s or '90s Film Noir (without any form of atmosphere). He also played the lead character, I think. I really don't remember the title.

His earliest films are both Shakespeare (Twelfth Night and Henry V).  Dead Again was his first non-Shakespeare and the only one in the noir genre as far as I know.  Do you remember if Derek Jacobi and Emma Thompson were in the one you're talking about?

The Suchet one is my favorite, against all odds (I loved the Finney).  I thought they added some really cool elements to the story in terms of giving Poirot himself more of a character arc in the story.  It had a darker tone that I really dug.

21 minutes ago, Sharky said:

Hmm.... I'll stick with the definitive version.

I actually think it'd be cool to see really well-done anime adaptations of Christie stories.  I kind of like it when Japanese animators adapt classic Western literature, like that version of Heidi that Takahata/Miyazaki made in the 70s.

Finney's great, but what makes it for me are Gielgud, Hiller and Roberts. Absolutely hilarious.

Is that Imagine Dragons I hear at the end of the Branagh trailer? Please kill me now.

Hard to tell too much about the film from that trailer other than it will feature a ridiculous moustache

11 hours ago, Stefancos said:

That whole film is great, brilliant cast, wonderful direction, looks great, beautifully scored!

The 1974 MOTOE is a very classy movie. Steef, you forgot to mention Geoffrey Unsworth's lush photography, especially the shots of the Istanbul ferry-crossing.

This new version will, probably, look wonderful in 65mm.

Lose the silly song, though.

What do people think about DEATH ON THE NILE?

The less said about EVIL UNDER THE SUN, the better, and don't get me started on THE MIRROR CRACK'D.

The best Christie story in recent times, is still THE UNICORN AND THE WASP. "Murder at the vicar's rage" :lol:

14 hours ago, Jay said:

That was a year ago, dude!

14 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

He probably gained weight for the role.

Nice to see Daniel Craig having fun for once.

"I am in-car-cer-ate-ed."

Classic formula of dimwits in way over their head. Should be good fun. 

12 hours ago, Romão said:

Adam Driver has been building quite a career

He was good in INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIES, and he was the best thing about both TRACKS, and TFA (haven't seen SILENCE). We shall watch his career with great interest.

Watched the trailer - looks fun!  Or maybe I should say, looks like everyone had fun making it.

It looks VERY similar to Ocean's 11 in tone and style, for sure.

Impressive cast lineup at the end of the trailer there!

Tom Cruise has re-teamed with Edge of Tomorrow director Doug Liman for "a biopic and drug thriller about a real-life commercial airline pilot who became a smuggler and later worked for the CIA and the DEA":

And it looks like it could be good fun!  Domhnall Gleeson co-stars!