Upcoming Films

Quintus

Frances Ha is definitely my favorite Baumbach movie.  But I also don't really like Baumbach that much.  Which surprises even me, he's a lot like several directors I like but missing something essential I can't put my finger on.  Not that his movies are terrible, I just don't connect with them.  That's my long way of saying that Frances Ha is great because of Gerwig, not the director.

3 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Frances Ha is definitely my favorite Baumbach movie.  But I also don't really like Baumbach that much.  Which surprises even me, he's a lot like several directors I like but missing something essential I can't put my finger on.  Not that his movies are terrible, I just don't connect with them.  That's my long way of saying that Frances Ha is great because of Gerwig, not the director.

I so agree completely with this that it's shocking. All the ingredients seems to be there (in a Baumbach movie) except the heart isn't beating? Really weird.

The buzz around Darkest Hour is pretty crazy coming out of its festival appearances at Telluride and Toronto.  I thought it looked good and now I'm really excited.  So ready for the Joe Wright comeback after Pan was such a disaster (and a terrible movie).  Wright is always so great at making period films feel alive and vital, not stuffy.  Plus, Gary Oldman is fantastic!

Seeing a lot of critics say it makes a great counterpart to Dunkirk, coming at the situation from a different angle and style.

Another movie coming out this Fall I can't wait for is Martin McDonagh's latest, Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri

Here's a picture of Frances McDormand, America's greatest hero, at the Venice Film Festival premiere of the film:

DI6QY4eWAAAkOHU.jpg

‘Mouse Guard’ Movie to be Helmed by ‘Maze Runner’ Director Wes Ball

I think it's nice that they're making a movie based on "Mouse Guard," one of the cooler graphic novel series I've read.  I'm not so sure about it being motion capture, though.  It would be really cool as a higher-budget animated TV series, I think.

Just look at this panel.  Such a cool series.

mouse-guard-legends-10.jpg?1387218371

Probably.  For a kid who grew up reading Redwall novels, I couldn't resist the cover of the first Mouse Guard omnibus when I saw it in a bookstore 10 years ago.  It's a great, great comic.  It could be so cool as an animated series with high production values.

16 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

He's 3 for 3. Can't wait for that one. 

What's the third you're referring to? His only two features before Three Billboards are In Bruges and Seven Psychopaths. 

2 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

James Gray makes Ad Astra (an epic sci-fi) with Brad Pitt and Tommy Lee Jones!

http://deadline.com/2017/06/tommy-lee-jones-brad-pitt-ad-astra-james-gray-new-regency-1202119181/

Still haven't seen Lost City of Z although I keep hearing it's great.

58 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Still haven't seen Lost City of Z although I keep hearing it's great.

Lost City of Z was quite good.

If you've seen Mountains of the Moon, you have a good idea of the tone/style of the film.  They're remarkably similar.  It's very paced, old school style film making. 

He should meditate and contemplate a while after a flop, find out what he is doing wrong, then come back and astonish the world. 

And don't give me that "Oh, give the man a break, he's almost 80 years old". He's in a factory mode ever since the '80s!

Tiny bit more detail on the Halloween sequel that pretends no movies were made in the series after the second.

Jamie Lee Curtis returns to her iconic role as Laurie Strode, who comes to her final confrontation with Michael Myers, the masked figure who has haunted her since she narrowly escaped his killing spree on Halloween night four decades ago.

http://www.slashfilm.com/halloween-reboot-jamie-lee-curtis-casting/#more-441262

I'm cautiously optimistic!  David Gordon Green is certainly an offbeat choice to helm, but who knows.  Maybe it'll be great.  If it's a shitty Halloween sequel it wouldn't exactly be the first :P 

If this is a more "grounded" take on the series, then presumably they'll treat Myers as a human being instead of a superhuman demon force or whatever.  Myers was supposed to be 21 in the first two movies, so I assume he'll be in his early-60s now for this sequel.  Wonder if that will figure into the plot somehow.

Rob Zombie kinda messed them up, because his second entry was awful and now you can't continue that narrative, and another reboot so soon afterwards may have scared the production company, so now they're going back to the well. 

2 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Tiny bit more detail on the Halloween sequel that pretends no movies were made in the series after the second.

http://www.slashfilm.com/halloween-reboot-jamie-lee-curtis-casting/#more-441262

I'm cautiously optimistic!  David Gordon Green is certainly an offbeat choice to helm, but who knows.  Maybe it'll be great.  If it's a shitty Halloween sequel it wouldn't exactly be the first :P 

If this is a more "grounded" take on the series, then presumably they'll treat Myers as a human being instead of a superhuman demon force or whatever.  Myers was supposed to be 21 in the first two movies, so I assume he'll be in his early-60s now for this sequel.  Wonder if that will figure into the plot somehow.

An older Michael who's slowing down and walks... slower?