Upcoming Films

Quintus

Wes Anderson's Isle of Dogs

General consensus online seems to be "this looks really bad."  Which I'm ok with.  I was more comfortable 10 years ago when critics were real down on Wes Anderson; it feels weird when everyone likes him.   I like and will like and will always like everything he does.  It feels good to have at least one artist you feel that way about.  "Literally no matter what this artist does, I am on board."

Conrad Pope recorded the source taiko drums you see/hear in the trailer.

I can't wait for all the woke critics to call it "problematic" because it's set in Japan and features mostly white actors.

LIFE IS PROBLEMATIC

Really digging the trailer for the Wes Anderson film.

But where are you getting you getting this supposed "negative consensus" from Stu? From what little I've read, people are generally pumped for it.

I guess I looked at the wrong critics?  I'm not on Twitter on anymore, but I perused the feeds of a few critics I used to follow and saw generally negative comments.

I'd be ok with being wrong on the consensus!

1 hour ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Cool! 

I will buy the score!

You watch the film and let me know if any dogs die! If there's no doggy deaths I'll watch it! 

Anderson has a thing for killing dogs. Happens in a lot of his films. 

6 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Anderson has a thing for killing dogs. Happens in a lot of his films. 

I think it says something about me that I have obsessively watched all of his films more than a dozen times each and I have never noted this as a trend.

It probably says that I don't like dogs all that much.

7 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I think it says something about me that I have obsessively watched all of his films more than a dozen times each and I have never noted this as a trend.

It probably says that I don't like dogs all that much.

http://freshfiction.tv/the-reason-why-wes-anderson-loves-killing-animals-in-his-films/

9 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Conrad Pope recorded the source taiko drums you see/hear in the trailer.

I can't wait for all the woke critics to call it "problematic" because it's set in Japan and features mostly white actors.

LIFE IS PROBLEMATIC

!!!!! It's even got Scarlett Johannsen to whitewash another se--oh, wait.

In Anderson's defense, he cast all Japanese actors to play Japanese human characters.  His universe he created for this seems to be that dogs speak American English even in Japan and they can't understand Japanese.

Really?

*goes to Google*

Looks like it's pretty different from his old show.  It's an "unscripted series features the Fergusons traveling the world to seek out the answers" to big questions.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/craig-ferguson-host-new-youtube-show-sponsored-by-a-fashion-label-1041440

Still, I'll watch of course.

Meh, that looks mildly interesting but not what I want out of my Craig

Luckily I still have the last 5 years or so of LLS archived forever to watch again someday

Especially the chemistry between Ferguson and JRT.  Once in a lifetime

I listen to that dude's podcast now, he's completely off the rocker, has real mental problems

44 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It doesn't help that here in America he replaced Craig Ferguson (the greatest late-night host in history) as host of The Late Late Show.

And the whole Sean Spicer thing 

Not sure if this was mentioned yet but I just heard that JJ Abrams is now developing a live action version of Your Name for Paramount.  As a fan of anime in general, and knowing its track record of Hollywood adaptations, I feel a pit in my stomach. 

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/j-j-abrams-your-name-remake-paramount-1202574994/

31 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

This might end up being an utterly cheese-fest, but I love the premise

What exactly is the premise?

Anyway, looks intriguing, though it feels like it could turn into another The Happening. CG looks dodgy. Hope they'll improve it.

The whole thing feels kind of Arrival-ish, but probably more out there.

I don't like the CG look, and the way the light is used in some of the shots. But I enjoyed Ex Machina, so I'm looking forward to this.

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

What exactly is the premise?

Like with Ex Machina, might be best to go into this knowing as little as possible.

But here's the short synopsis from Wiki:

A biologist's husband disappears. She puts her name forward for an expedition into an environmental disaster zone, but does not quite find what she's expecting. The expedition team is made up of the biologist, an anthropologist, a psychologist, and a surveyor.

1 hour ago, Muad'Dib said:

This might end up being an utterly cheese-fest, but I love the premise

I lost all potential enthusiasm once the 'from the writer and director of Ex Machina' title card popped up.

I really hate Garland's aseptic Instagram aesthetic

Well, it probably didn't say that because he did not direct those films.

28 Days Later was directed by Danny Boyle and Dredd was directed by Pete Travis