Upcoming Films

Quintus

29 minutes ago, Blanche Hudson said:

I really hate Garland's aseptic Instagram aesthetic

Yea, not digging that either. It was at least more muted in Ex Machina, but seems obnoxious with this new one.

1 minute ago, Jay said:

Well, it probably didn't say that because he did not direct those films.

28 Days Later was directed by Danny Boyle and Dredd was directed by Pete Travis

Indeed, I meant the writer ...

The only problem I have is Natalie Portman. Not that she's a bad actress but there's something about her that makes it difficult for me to fully buy into her characters.

path_I_cant_follow_star_wars.gif

Trailer for Woody Allen's latest is up!

This could be really good.  Allen in his Broadway Danny Rose/Bullets Over Broadway mode but as drama instead of comedy.

It also looks very much in his recent "melodrama mode" a la Blue Jasmine

41 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Trailer for Woody Allen's latest is up!

This could be really good.  Allen in his Broadway Danny Rose/Bullets Over Broadway mode but as drama instead of comedy.

It also looks very much in his recent "melodrama mode" a la Blue Jasmine

I want this to be my first Woody in the cinema.

8 minutes ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

I want this to be my first Woody in the cinema.

Have you seen Blue Jasmine yet?  I think you would absolutely love it.  Very soapy.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

I've just seen the trailer for PADDINGTON 2. Totally up for it! 

I loved the first one! Went with my mam. She couldn't get over the fact that the bear was made in a computer! 

I love the first one, but here the aesthetic is a bit lost. No longer night, rain, rusty metal, neon city lights. The Jaegers look a bit too similar to each other... and they almost move like Evangelions. I liked that they were kind of slow in the first one.

I wonder if they'll do weirder kaiju or if they'll be like the first movie's...

And they're making seem Mako almost unimportant this time around...

I think it will be inferior.

2 hours ago, Brónach said:

I love the first one, but here the aesthetic is a bit lost. No longer night, rain, rusty metal, neon city lights. The Jaegers look a bit too similar to each other... and they almost move like Evangelions. I liked that they were kind of slow in the first one.

And they're making seem Mako almost unimportant this time around...

I think it will be inferior.

Agreed.

Plus, replacing Idris Elba with the unconvincing John Boyega with a moustache sure doesn't help.

11 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Agreed.

Plus, replacing Idris Elba with the unconvincing John Boyega with a moustache sure doesn't help.

I could do with Boyega without the moustache.

Not really a "future" film since it's available to stream now, but I just learned of its existence and it's new.

It's a feature length documentary that is just about the shower scene in Psycho.  Color me intrigued.  I hope to find time to watch it this weekend.

I was thinking of TFA, actually. Although well reviewed, ATB didn't make much money. Many critics praised Boyega, however. 

This is typical Hollywood mentality: find a fresh, young face who's just had astronomical - no pun intended :)- (supporting) success, stick him as the lead in a very expensive film, and, hey presto, watch as all your hard-earned gets flushed down the toilet.

Too much responsibility, too quickly.

That's true but I'm not sure if Pacific Rim 2 will be a good showcase for his leading man abilities. It does feel like hey, let's not think about it and get that guy from TFA. Whatever he does, he will be crushed by the CGI monster scenes (or by the Michael Bayness of it all). 

BREXIT: The Movie? Not much of a chance. 

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/tv/news/maclolm-tucker-brexit-the-thick-of-it-armando-iannucci-twitter-a7992121.html

It will probably be a series of sketches, interviews online on the radio etc etc. A fluid multi-media thing rather than a structured series. Should be great fun actually. We could do with some really good topical political satire.

On 9/5/2017 at 9:06 PM, Disco Stu said:

And holy mess, Tomas Alfredson's first film since Tinker Tailor is finally coming out.  Can't wait.  So glad to be going to the season of good movies.

Apparently The Snowman is really bad and Alfredson is even admitting as much, trying to explain what went wrong.  Very sad.  I hope he bounces back quickly with another one, the wait after Tinker Tailor was so long for his followup to be bad :( 

4 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

there's something wrong with you

Tell me something I don't know!

Arnie is the only one of those beefcake Euro action stars I ever thought had any screen charisma.