Upcoming Films

Quintus

19 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Apparently they forgot to film 10 to 15% of the script.

Film has 8% on Rotten Tomatoes.

The 10-15% comment is indeed what I was referring to when I said "Alfredson is even admitting as much, trying to explain what went wrong."

Such a crying shame.  He was basically a hired gun on this one I think.

All the Money in the World is getting a major post production overall with Chris Plummer refilming Kevin Spacey's scenes. Lots of things about it will change I imagine.  Who knows, maybe we'll get a JW score for this after all! :lol:

http://deadline.com/2017/11/kevin-spacey-dropped-all-in-the-money-in-the-world-christopher-plummer-ridley-scott-j-paul-getty-1202204437/

They say removing Spacey from the movie is a bold move on Ridley's part but I say making a movie today that is not about superheroes is way more bolder. Who is going to watch this?

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it's official now.

Death on the Nile from Kenneth Branagh is green-lit.

'Murder on the Orient Express' Sequel in the Works

I may have been disapointed by Orient Express, but I welcome another attempt.  A film industry that makes lavish big-screen adaptations of Christie is better than one that doesn't!

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Well, it's official now.

I may have been disapointed by Orient Express, but I welcome another attempt.  A film industry that makes lavish big-screen adaptations of Christie is better than one that doesn't!

Great!

A preview of Phantom Thread:

Looks promising! And Greenwood's score sounds like the one to beat this year.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Well, it's official now.

Good news. Very curious to see what all-star cast they'll get this time. 

17 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Well, it's official now.

Couldn't they adapt something that hasn't been previously adapted for the big screen from Agatha Christie's Poirot bibliography?

Yes. And you can hire a bankable cast of big name actors to help to sell "the event".

But then again I won't watch these. David Suchet kind of closed the book on Poirot adaptations for me. There will never be anyone who could top his performance to me.

33 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Just hire Andy Serkis to do a motion capture performance of Branagh as David Suchet!

Isn't he contractually obliged only to portray Gollum and different sort of apes on screen?

5 hours ago, Incanus said:

But then again I won't watch these. David Suchet kind of closed the book on Poirot adaptations for me. There will never be anyone who could top his performance to me.

I remember this coming up before with Hickson and Marple.  It’s an attitude foreign to me I have to admit.  I’m always open to new takes on old favorites.  Will Suchet ever be topped?  No!  But I’ll have fun watching them anyway!

Not a criticism,  by the way.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I remember this coming up before with Hickson and Marple.  It’s an attitude foreign to me I have to admit.  I’m always open to new takes on old favorites.  Will Suchet ever be topped?  No!  But I’ll have fun watching them anyway!

Not a criticism,  by the way.

I said that half-jokingly. I do watch adaptations outside the quintessential portrayals of the classic sleuths like Hickson and Suchet and Brett and enjoy most of them but in the case of Poirot that one portrayal has been so strong that for some reason I actually feel strange watching someone like Branagh in the role.

35 minutes ago, Incanus said:

I said that half-jokingly. I do watch adaptations outside the quintessential portrayals of the classic sleuths like Hickson and Suchet and Brett and enjoy most of them but in the case of Poirot that one portrayal has been so strong that for some reason I actually feel strange watching someone like Branagh in the role.

I almost said "It is the attitude foreign to me!"  Always loved the subtle touch of Poirot often putting adjectives after nouns like in French.

It's a great film, but without Weir's involvement (who hasn't made a film in seven years), I'm not sure a sequel is all that needed. I don't think studios are bending over their knees to cast Fat Crowe in that kind of role again anyway. 

Indeed. Back when every week wasn't producing 100% RT ratings.

Lady Bird does look rather charming though, if a little on the vanilla side.