Upcoming Films

Quintus

I've pinpointed the exact, precise point at which Chris Pine's career started pivoting from "fine, a bit generic prettyboy" to respected actor of range and talent to the shot of him crying after Common's performance of the song from Selma at the Oscars in 2015.

T80aQU0t_nGx.gif

1 hour ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Anybody knows who's scoring the new Chris Pine flick Outlaw King?

A composer has not been announced as of yet.  I think a Nick Cave/Warren Ellis score for a setting like this would be interesting at the very least.

Cave and Ellis' scores for Wind River and Hell or High Water are really quite good.  But of course both being sort of Westerns, the scores are sort of a dark take on rustic American folk sounds.  I have no idea what they would do with a medieval Scottish setting.

Yes, the worst case scenario is the film being scored like that awful Daniel Pemberton King Arthur score that people liked for mystifying reasons.

I'm on the record as not being a huge fan.  But also, this director isn't going to have Gibson's super dramatic, epic approach to the storytelling.  He's known for coming at genres from different angles.  The score should reflect that.

I'm also aware of Daniel Pemberton having a number of admirers.  But all I've heard is that King Arthur score which made me want to vomit all over my laptop when I listened to it.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Cave and Ellis' scores for Wind River and Hell or High Water are really quite good.  But of course both being sort of Westerns, the scores are sort of a dark take on rustic American folk sounds.  I have no idea what they would do with a medieval Scottish setting.

Yes, the worst case scenario is the film being scored like that awful Daniel Pemberton King Arthur score that people liked for mystifying reasons.

As much as I love Cave and Ellis, they’re pretty one note. I wouldn’t expect a different approach.

I dug the King Arthur score but haven’t listened to it since it was released. Pemberton’s Man From UNCLE is a superb Morricone-infused action score. 

15 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm also aware of Daniel Pemberton having a number of admirers.  But all I've heard is that King Arthur score which made me want to vomit all over my laptop when I listened to it.

Pemberton's pretty solid, though not especially remarkable. He has some good highs. Check out Steve Jobs when you get the chance:

I really like these kind of personal/family dramas when done well (see Ordinary People, The Ice Storm, Manchester By The Sea, etc.).  I'm interested enough to check it out.

I've never actually seen Ben Mendelsohn play a semi-normal person. 

On 8/22/2018 at 2:42 AM, Disco Stu said:

Oh god I can’t wait.  Saulnier has made two near-masterpieces in a row.  And now a film starring Jeffrey Wright?  I need it now!

Agreed; Jeffrey Wright has been among my very favourite actors, since BASQUIAT.

Is that Mrs. Kicking Bird?

Woah!  Was watching American Ninja Warrior last night and there was a trailer for an upcoming revenge flick starring Jennifer Garner (where have you been girl?)