Upcoming Films

Quintus

She was perfectly cast in ALIAS, where I first saw her

(technically, I had seen DUDE WHERE'S MY CAR and PEARL HARBOR prior, but hadn't noticed her really)

Has this been posted yet?

Also just noticed that the score is written by Radiohead's lead singer Thom Yorke. That's bound to be interesting.

12 hours ago, Stefancos said:

She's a good actress, she has a very expressive face.

Yeah, thanks to her expressive face, you can read her emotions from a mile away!

1 hour ago, KK said:

Has this been posted yet?

Also just noticed that the score is written by Radiohead's lead singer Thom Yorke. That's bound to be interesting.

Only a teaser has been posted before, I think.

2 hours ago, Jay said:

Ignore the clickbait article title, the news within is interesting

Woody Allen's latest movie may never be released

Seems probable. It's already September and no release yet. It'll be a historical moment, since the man has had a film released every year for decades.

Allen is a pedophile. No way around that. I understand why no one would want to finance his artistic endeavors, but I also find it odd that it took so long for it to happen. The thing about Hollywood, no one cared until it started to affect their own image. All the actors protesting against him and donating their salaries knew who they were working for from the start. 

With all that being said, I still love his movies. 

It might even be for the best if he can’t finance new movies now, but I don’t think Amazon should hold a movie already made back against Allen’s wishes.  They signed the contract with him, and yeah they knew who he was when they did that. 

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

See, thats what I don't understand. Genuinely.

Even people who commit terrible atrocities have the aspects of an enlightened person in them (and vice versa, but that's not the conversation at hand). In their artistic work, those people can express those higher states of their being in a way that resonates with and speaks to other people and transcends that overall lower life condition.

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

See, thats what I don't understand. Genuinely.

It’s something I’ve been struggling to understand myself, recently. I maintain that an artist can be separated from the art, but the people I’ve discussed this with say it can’t. Does that make me a bad person for owning his movies? I don’t think so. 

Polanski is a rapist, but The Pianist is a brilliant war film. I just can’t get behind the notion that a filmmaker commiting a crime nullifies their entire body of work from enjoyment forever. 

2 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Polanski is a rapist, but The Pianist is a brilliant war film. I just can’t get behind the notion that a filmmaker commiting a crime nullifies their entire body of work from enjoyment forever

Their work must be erased from existence, their presence culled and purged from the annals of history! Anyone who enjoys Chinatown must renounce it or cast themselves in exile!

Upcoming Neil Armstrong Biopic "First Man" Leaves Out Planting of American Flag.

It seems they deliberately removed an aspect of what really happened to make a point about it not being an American accomplishment.

It's like making a film on the Battle of Iwo Jima, and leaving out that immortal moment when the Marines planted the flag on Mount Suribachi.

I'll likely still watch the movie when it comes out, but I find this deeply disappointing, and this is coming from a big fan of Damien Chazelle's previous work.

I'm sure that's a very deliberate artistic decision that best serves the kind of film they're trying to make. You don't really come to an idea like without having discussed and mulled it over to death anyway.

People should just wait for the film.

21 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It was an accomplishment of mankind!

Yes.  Planting the flag was about the Soviets.  Who cares now?  Let's go back as a species instead of whining about movies.  

58 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

This is what people are choosing to make a big deal about?

Why would the planting of the American flag on the moon, one of the great images and achievements of the 20th century, not appear in a movie about America's race to the moon?

It's the fact that the event appears to have been cut from the film as to not offend, which is just plain dumb, which is what some people are annoyed about. I do not think it should have been omitted.

12 hours ago, Stefancos said:

It was an accomplishment of mankind!

It's making a statement: "The world first!" or "It's time to make the world great again".

12 hours ago, KK said:

People should just wait for the film.

Which feels as if I've already seen it many times before. Is anyone actually excited for this?

Frankly, it looks exactly like what I expected. So I'm not hyped about it. But I'll watch it, because I like Chazelle.

Well at least it won't have Horner and Howard together, which makes it more watchable by default for non American audiences. Not that I'll get around to watching it anyway no doubt.

On 8/31/2018 at 2:03 AM, Stefancos said:

Absolutely not! I didn't groom my adoptive daughter to become my wife.

Anyone who ignores that for the sake of "art" needs to have his head examined.

Not that I'm necessarily disagreeing, but how do you feel about Wagner's music? Because there's a genius artist and famously very unpalatable man.