Upcoming Films

Quintus

This is rumour control, here are the facts.

1-Allen did not begin a relationship with the young woman, until she was 21 years of age. That makes her well legal.

2-Allen is not a blood relative. She was the adopted daughter of Farrow, and Previn.

3-the other accusations are not substantiated.

Allen might well have acted immorally, but he's broken no law.

If you want to accuse anyone of being a "pedofile", have a pop at Francis Albert Sinatra; he married a 21 year-old Farrow.

38 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

He just couldn't afford clothes and his own bed.

Ha! No, not really. It was part of an experiment on abstinence.

29 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Jerry Lee Lewis! Married his cousin while she was 13 years old.

Exactly! Moral outrage? Wouldn't know, wasn't there.

It just seems that certain people pick and choose who to chastise, when, in reality, we're all in the same damn boat.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Maybe he isn't? He married his adoptive daughter?

Morally dubious? In the court of public opinion, almost certainly, but he's broken no law.

Ps, I think that's "He married his adoptive daughter!"

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

If he had broken the law, would you then have judged Allen?

Would that collective morality, and the law were the same.

The answer to your question, is "yes, I would". I would not want to condone anyone who breaks the law, no matter who they are. Unfortunately, so many "celebrities" seem to get away with (quite literally, sometimes) murder. The public is, understandably, impotent, in these situations, and needs something, or someone, on which, or whom, to focus its baleful gaze. It would appear that the public, in some strange way, needs these wrongdoers, if only to remind itself of what it has not, and what it desperately wants.

I saw the latest Predator trailer (out of some sort of morbid curiosity, is my only explanation) and while I'm not exactly dying to see it, I was still roused a little more than I had been, if only because I'm a bit confused about what kind of movie it's supposed to be. But based purely on this trailer, it looks 100% tongue-in-cheek wise-cracking actioner, which isn't what I was expecting (I think I'd been assuming it's just be more turgid 'Predators' style movie), and well maybe it could work if the script is good enough. Or not. It looks like a CG alien spatter fest, which is good and bad.

FYI @John

Unlike Business Insider, Breitbart or many of the other publications fueling this controversy, I was in attendance for the First Man premiere in Venice. And having actually seen the film, can confirm that while the physical act of planting the American flag into the moon is not portrayed, there are several shots of the American flag flying on the moon—including one long shot as Armstrong and co. disembark.

https://amp.thedailybeast.com/marco-rubios-boneheaded-attack-on-ryan-goslings-neil-armstrong-movie-first-man

So the flag is present in the background, but they omit the actual moment of planting it. That seems like a pretty important moment to leave out.

The stated explanation from Gosling and co. of leaving that moment out to focus more on it being a moment for all humanity is stupid given that the flag is still visible in many scenes. The reason you show the individual planting it is to focus on the individual. If this is their story, then that moment should have been included.

If the filmmakers are focusing on their own political bias and seemingly trying to revise history rather than trying to honestly tell that man's story, then I have no interest in the film. It shows Chazelle does not have the level of respect for history that many of us anticipating this film were hoping for.

2 hours ago, John said:

So the flag is present in the background, but they omit the actual moment of planting it. That seems like a pretty important moment to leave out.

The stated explanation from Gosling and co. of leaving that moment out to focus more on it being a moment for all humanity is stupid given that the flag is still visible in many scenes. The reason you show the individual planting it is to focus on the individual. If this is their story, then that moment should have been included.

If the filmmakers are focusing on their own political bias and seemingly trying to revise history rather than trying to honestly tell that man's story, then I have no interest in the film. It shows Chazelle does not have the level of respect for history that many of us anticipating this film were hoping for.

It’s a fucking movie. Who cares?

46 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

It’s a fucking movie. Who cares?

That’s the bit you've decided to take issue with? Fair enough… in a forum where there are literally hundreds of threads devoted to the nonstop dissection, analyzation, and discussion of countless movies and TV series.

It's common knowledge that the filmmakers omitted the flag planting scene. Pretty sure I'm able to share my thoughts on that bit of news, even if I have yet to see the film.

I'm done here.

26 minutes ago, John said:

It's common knowledge that the filmmakers omitted the flag planting scene. Pretty sure I'm able to share my thoughts on that bit of news, even if I have yet to see the film.

I'm done here.

You’re talking about political biases, alternating history and not respecting it without any context whatsoever. You’re criticizing the entire movie and its cast and crew based on a “bit of news.”

On 9/1/2018 at 9:00 PM, Koray Savas said:

Sorry but if you think Woody Allen is 100% innocent, you’re fooling yourself.

What would 80% 'innocent' make him? Not that i care that much, but for all the hooplah about Allen i still haven't read anywhere what *exactly* he is accused of (awfully/conveniently vague) and except for a relentless family that seems at least as weird as he is, what proof has been presented to have him guillotined constantly? Except for the fact that if you repeat an accusation often enough, people take them as fact.

I'm sure he did his part to deserve this but gadzooks, this is all so silly (actors crying because they once acted in an Allen movie, for god's sake).

3 hours ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

They would have left it in if a Democrat was the President right now.

I guess it's difficult to be a patriot right now.

1 hour ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Hollywood liberals are all hatriots!

They'll love the country again in two years. They might even release a DC of this movie, this time with flag.

12 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

You’re talking about political biases, alternating history and not respecting it without any context whatsoever. You’re criticizing the entire movie and its cast and crew based on a “bit of news.”

They deliberately left it out to make a point. If filmmakers make a point like that you can criticize it.

If you had paid any attention to my previous conversation with Stu, you'd see it was the sole aspect of the movie I had given any flack.

1 hour ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Anyone else prefer Batman Returns to the original?

Absolutely.  Film and score.

2 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

I didn't know you were interested in directing, Steve.

Very interested.  We'll see how that pans out, though.  As Kurosawa said, to be a great director, you must first become a great screenwriter.  Still working on that.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I really hate that penguin character and the accompanying music.

The character gives me the creeps.  Ugh, repulsive in tangible form.