Upcoming Films

Quintus

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Who's he playing? Is it that silver haired wholesome US icon from the sixties who I have noticed endless references to in countless American media over the years? Jesus, is this the most cloying Hanks role yet? No mean feat!

It's the guy from POLTERGEIST.

On 9/20/2018 at 12:35 PM, Disco Stu said:

Jesus I hate the clickbait movie news blog industry.

Like, how do you have that job and not know, or at least just bother look up and see, that Mothersbaugh hasn't scored an Anderson film since 2004?

Ahem

Not really new but I don't think the trailer has been posted before:

Anyway, I was surprised that the director is Thomas 'Jagten' Vinterberg. Why is he making these big movies?!

Definitely curious about that one. Looks really special.

Some of those shots really remind you how often Hollywood fails to really capture the scale of the whole affair.

8 minutes ago, KK said:

Definitely curious about that one. Looks really special.

Some of those shots really remind you how often Hollywood fails to really capture the scale of the whole affair.

Interesting you say that. It's pretty much how I felt watching World Trade Center. We'd all become so accustomed to watching the actual footage from the day, which all covered it better than any phony Hollywood crew could hope to replicate. The movie tried but failed to capture the scale of the events unfolding that day. Hell, in a lot of the actual 9/11 videos, you'd be forgiven for comparing it to a 'found footage' horror movie - the most frightening one ever made.

9 hours ago, Norma's Corpse said:

Interesting you say that. It's pretty much how I felt watching World Trade Center. We'd all become so accustomed to watching the actual footage from the day, which all covered it better than any phony Hollywood crew could hope to replicate. The movie tried but failed to capture the scale of the events unfolding that day. Hell, in a lot of the actual 9/11 videos, you'd be forgiven for comparing it to a 'found footage' horror movie - the most frightening one ever made.

A very sensitive post from you, Drax. You're completely right, of course.

On 10/19/2018 at 4:58 PM, Quintus said:

Not that I'm about to go see it at the cinema or anything like that, but this still looks like a fascinating watch. 

I'd certainly watch if if it airs here or if Netflix streams it.

I like that it brings home the fact that WWI, really wasnt all that long ago. 

Certainly looks interesting, especially now, when I've been watching archived newsreels from exactly 100 years ago weekly for 2 months and gotten used to their choppiness.

35 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I like that it brings home the fact that WWI, really wasnt all that long ago. 

More interesting still, is that Jackson aimed at illustrating the human experience of participating in the war: not to illustrate the progression of the war itself. I hear he focused to no small degree on the soldier's daily life as soldiers (latrines and all!) and whenever the voiceover mentioned the name of a place in which a battle was fought - it was edited out so keep the focus so very entirely on the personal experience of the soldiers.

Very interesting approach!

37 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

What are you talking about now?

I recall reading that, by design, the names of major battles have been excised from the documentary, so you’d find no reference in it to, say, the Somme.

All in the interest of keeping the focus on the human experience of the war.

46 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

One would suggest a radical change of direction from what was previously intended.

No, I don’t think there was a change in direction because the voiceovers weren’t scripted and directed. They were taken from pre-existing recordings of veterans from old BBC documentaries.  So, the only way the filmmakers could have shaken them into their vision was through editing.

So whenever an the name of a battle or place was mentioned in the voiceover (which I have to assume happened quite frequently), they just cut around it.

23 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

No, I don’t think there was a change in direction because the voiceovers weren’t scripted and directed. They were taken from pre-existing recordings of veterans from old BBC documentaries.  So, the only way the filmmakers could have shaken them into their vision was through editing.

So not semantics?

I am looking forward to Overlord. Its supposed to be based on real life event.