Upcoming Films

Quintus

1 minute ago, Fancyarcher said:

Looks like cover art for a direct to DVD film. 

Oh there's no doubt it'll be a shitty movie, just like the other shitty Tomb Raider movies.  I really don't think we'll ever see a good video game movie.  The most I ever hope for is so-bad-it's-good (like the Mortal Kombat movies).

I do mostly like some of the earlier video games film, because at least they had some fun elements, like the production design and Bison in Street Fighter for example. Nowadays they tend to be just unexciting or boring. 

14 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

FFVII: Advent Children, buddy!

That's an enjoyable movie, yes, still remember renting when it first came out. It's definitely a film that'll largely appeal to FF7 fans though, of which I am thankfully.

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

I do mostly like some of the earlier video games film, because at least they had some fun elements, like the production design and Bison in Street Fighter for example. Nowadays they tend to be 

Tend to be what?

Just now, Fancyarcher said:

It's definitely a film that'll largely appeal to FF7 fans though, of which I am thankfully.

Oh, yes, definitely, it's first and foremost a film for fans of the game (it being a direct sequel), but still: in terms of production values, it's definitely one of the better ones, if not the best one.

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Tend to be what?

Unexciting and boring. Sorry, got caught up in something else just a few minutes ago, and I didn't finish my sentence when I made that post.

12 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Oh, yes, definitely, it's first and foremost a film for fans of the game (it being a direct sequel), but still: in terms of production values, it's definitely one of the better ones, if not the best one.

Well it is animated. Of course you could accuse of it being like long cut-scenes, but the actual animation itself is very stellar. The fights are fast, and it's all the better for it.

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I like the Tomb Raider films!

So does my mom, lol. 

14 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Well it is animated. Of course you could accuse of it being like long cut-scenes, but the actual animation itself is very stellar. The fights are fast, and it's all the better for it.

Sure, but still: there's the work on the designs, the music, the choregraphy of the fights... And it's all really good.

14 minutes ago, Fancyarcher said:

Unexciting and boring. Sorry, got caught up in something else just a few minutes ago, and I didn't finish my sentence when I made that post.

JWFAN deserves your full attention, boy!

Just now, BloodBoal said:

Sure, but still: there's the work on the designs, the music, the choregraphy of the fights... And it's all really good.

JWFAN deserves your full attention, boy!

Yeah, I never said it was bad, just because it's animated. If anything it wouldn't have worked as well had not it been animated. It looked amazing in 2005, and still holds up fairly well today too. 

It sure does, but sometimes it's hard to juggle forum posting and real life you know. 

13 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Haven't seen an Allen film in the theaters since Match Point.  Thinking about it some more, I don't believe I've seen an Allen film at all since Match Point.

It was that bad, huh?!

Only was able to watch with sound off, but looks like a decent enough summer popcorn flick.  Of course it was 3/4s into the trailer before we actually saw her in a tomb, and most of the action seems to take place elsewhere, but that's no surprise

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

It was that bad, huh?!

I actually loved it, one of my favorite Allen films, truly a brilliant piece of filmmaking and writing.  I just don't watch as many movies as I used to, so I'm not actively avoiding him.  I did want to see Blue Jasmine and Midnight in Paris, just never got around to it.

Trailer for Wes Anderson's new stop-motion film arrives tomorrow.  Already digging the aesthetic here

Will be scored by Desplat and possibly feature some original source music by Conrad Pope

Speaking of anticipated scores, I was just reminded that Murder on the Orient Express is a movie that is still coming out soon.  Seems like the kind of thing that could bring us a great Patrick Doyle score.  Hope that's good.