Upcoming Films

Quintus

It's the future. More and more movies (that aren't big spectacles) are being bought and released by streaming services. However, the film will still premiere at Fantastic Fest Film Festival (Austin) in September 2018. 

After watching Revolutionary Road I was wondering what's the next directing gig for Sam Mendes and sadly it appears to be a WW1 movie called '1917':mellow:

24 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

After watching Revolutionary Road I was wondering what's the next directing gig for Sam Mendes and sadly it appears to be a WW1 movie called '1917':mellow:

Better than another James Bond movie I suppose

21 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Yet to see a really good Netflix movie. I've watched a couple of okayish to mediocre ones so far.

Annihilation was pretty interesting

Gerald's Game was good!

A Futile and Stupid Gesture was VERY good!

Win It All was great!

I Don't Feel at Home in This World Anymore was GREAT!

When We First Met was fine for what it was

Little Evil, El Camino Christmas, Mute and The Cloverfield Paradox were abysmally terrible

Haven't seen any others

True, even tough I like the two Bond movies he made. But you can't do Bond for the rest of your life. It would be a bit repetitious. 

54 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

It's one of the best "Los Angeles plays itself" movies of all time too (like so many great noir films).  When I was driving around Hollywood a couple of years ago I made sure to go by Marlowe's apartment building from the movie, with that fantastic elevator tower.

Speaking of films where LA plays itself, I cannot wait for Tarantino's next film Once Upon a Time in Hollywood.

https://www.slashfilm.com/margot-robbie-as-sharon-tate/#more-500805

On 8/1/2018 at 12:28 PM, Alexcremers said:

It's the future. More and more movies (that aren't big spectacles) are being bought and released by streaming services. However, the film will still premiere at Fantastic Fest Film Festival (Austin) in September 2018. 

Still a tv movie. Not worthy of Oscar Bait

28 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Not worthy of Oscar Bait

Not sure if that's a bad thing. Movies that are selected for movie festivals are movies. 

The next movie that isn't making it to theatres is City Of Lies with Johnny Depp. Oh, not a theatrical release but the movie has a poster? How is that possible?! JoeinAR is going to be so annoyed.

MV5BZDRmZTNkMDUtZGU0Ny00ODYxLThlN2EtM2I3

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/08/07/more-terrible-news-for-johnny-depp-as-city-of-lies-is-pulled-from-theatrical-release/#325560fb14ed

10 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Not sure if that's a bad thing. Movies that are selected for movie festivals are movies. 

The next movie that isn't making it to theatres is City Of Lies with Johnny Depp. Oh, not a theatrical release but the movie has a poster? How is that possible?! JoeinAR is going to be so annoyed.

MV5BZDRmZTNkMDUtZGU0Ny00ODYxLThlN2EtM2I3

https://www.forbes.com/sites/scottmendelson/2018/08/07/more-terrible-news-for-johnny-depp-as-city-of-lies-is-pulled-from-theatrical-release/#325560fb14ed

Spielberg agrees with me wholeheartedly. 

If Spielberg wasn't Spielberg, he would have a hard time getting his non spectacle films released in the theatre as well. Soon only Marvel movies will be 'movies', the rest of them will merely be TV movies, not worthy of the Oscars.

10 minutes ago, Richard said:

At some point, this Marvel madness has to end. Please, let it end. Please.

Blasphemy. 

While I generally like the MCU films, I do agree there are just too many of them.

But it is kind of extraordinary when you think about it.  Over the course of TWENTY films, they've only put out one that can in any way be considered a true flop (Incredible Hulk).  That's one hell of a batting average.  Unprecedented in film history perhaps even.

It helps the monopoly that a ton of other studios' cornerstone franchises have turned, or are in the process of turning to shit. Disney doesn't really go below OK level with Marvel and SW, AND they don't have much competition.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Agreed. The only thing that can even think of completing with it, is STAR WARS ...

Huh? Completing with it, Richard?

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

It feels like it's suffocating all other blockbuster cinema at the moment doesn't it.

No it doesn't. If people would get over their prejudices towards Marvel they would see they are fun films. They have a rightfulplace in cinema and if people don't  like them don't watch. There are new movies each week. If there is one constant in the universe is there are always new movies.

20 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

No it doesn't. If people would get over their prejudices towards Marvel they would see they are fun films. They have a rightfulplace in cinema and if people don't  like them don't watch. There are new movies each week. If there is one constant in the universe is there are always new movies.

No prejudices, I'm just really bored of superhero movies Joey. Genre fatigue, saturated market etc etc.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

No prejudices, I'm just really bored of superhero movies Joey. Genre fatigue, saturated market etc etc.

I wasn't  speaking to you specifically. There are others here who do not like certain genre films, like me with gangster films, or specific directors, like the isle of dogs director.

4 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Koray will be happy ... New Steve McQueen drama ...

Geez! Is this for real? :lol: I expected to see the credit "Written by Linda La Plante", and see Helen Mirren turn up, and say "You're knicked, sunshine".

I honestly don't give two fucks about this Steve McQueen guy, but are Davis, Farrell, and Neeson trying to end their careers?

Fuck's sake.

4 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

But it is kind of extraordinary when you think about it.  Over the course of TWENTY films, they've only put out one that can in any way be considered a true flop (Incredible Hulk).  That's one hell of a batting average.  Unprecedented in film history perhaps even.

How many of the Bond films have been genuine flops?

17 minutes ago, Nick1066 said:

How many of the Bond films have been genuine flops?

More than one, definitely.  Or at least are seen as major underperformers, if not outright flops.

1 hour ago, Richard said:

Geez! Is this for real? :lol: I expected to see the credit "Written by Linda La Plante", and see Helen Mirren turn up, and say "You're knicked, sunshine".

I honest don't give two fucks about this Steve McQueen guy, but are Davis, Farrell, and Neeson trying to end their careers?

Fuck's sake.

I know. I didn't even make it till the end ... and it's only the tailer!

1 hour ago, Koray Savas said:

For fuck’s sake ya’ll are pretentious. 

"Pretentious" my ass!

Twenty years ago, this would be a 4-part drama, on Channel 4, starring Ray Whinstone, and Sue Johnston.

That trailer was a pathetic advertisement, for a pathetic, hackneyed, moribund product.

Mutton dressed up as lamb.

Avoid.

Has anyone already posted or seen this? 

It seems like the director of It Follows has gone the Richard 'Donnie Darko' Kelly way. I mean, remember Southland Tales?!

3 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

What was incredible about it? White folk enslaved and tortured black people for centuries.

We already know this.

The dramatic telling of that particular story was incredible.