Upcoming Films

Quintus

I have something better. Fox is getting all their ducks lined up for a sequel to Rise of the Apes -- Rupert Wyatt is returning to direct, the same writers (Amanda Silver, Rick Jaffa), and the same producers. The only returning cast member at this point is Andy Serkis as the lead ape Caesar -- since he was originally signed on for one movie, his reps had the leverage to guarantee him a seven-figure salary for a multi-film contract. No word on whether other cast members like James Franco and Frieda Pinto will return.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/11/andy-serkis-closes-big-planet-of-the-apes-deal-should-fox-campaign-for-oscar/#more-190449

Hopefully Fox and the producers get a good script together before fast-tracking the sequel.

Hopefully Fox and the producers get a good script together before fast-tracking the sequel.

hahahhaahhaha.... yea right

Fox wont wait for an amazing script before greenlighting a sequel, they will fast track one now to strike while the iron is hot. This is why 95% of sequels suck

I thought the first film had a very short turn around from conception to release, so maybe they will get lucky again. Or, their luck might only strike twice. FOX and Tim Rothman is probably the worst major studio in terms of wanting their way to make money (Die Hard 4 was Pg-13 and most movies have to be 90 minutes) so I wouldn't be surprised if they just rush a sequel out and hope for the best.

If they're bringing back the same writers, producers, and director, I don't see why it won't be of good quality.

LOL

If they're bringing back the same writers, producers, and director, I don't see why it won't be of good quality.

LOL

Have you even seen the movie yet? I was shocked at how good it was. Credit has to be given where it's due -- not just the writers and director, but to the producers. I think this movie ended up being good because the ex-CEO of 20th Century Fox (Peter Chernin) produced the film, and unlike Tom Rothman, he had the sense to give the filmmakers more creative leeway.

X-Men: First Class is also very good.

The Matrix sequels ... same writers, producers and directors ... and yet everyone in the audience was scratching their head.

How good or bad the first film was has NOTHING to do with how good or bad the second film will be. If they wait for a good script, it will be good. If they fast-track a release to get something in theaters soon while memories of the first one remain, it has a much higher likelihood of being a poor sequel and not a good one

No one has ideas anymore so now fairy tales are being used as source. There's also a Hansel and Gretel as witch hunters or something another coming out as well.

Mirror Mirror gets props for not having Kristen Stewart.

However, it looks like the entire film was shot indoors. Especially the outdoors scenes. Either they went so low budget they couldn't afford to use the real sun...

...or they may intend it to resemble a theatrical play more than an outdoors epic. At least, that's the feeling I get from Hook. Like it wants to be the spiritual successor to Mary Martin's classic film, but more immature.

But once again, this trailer shows far too much of the story. SWAT Huntsman looks to not be worth watching, and I feel like I've already seen Mirror, Mirror and already know how it ends.

Oh wait. I do. For a "story that's never been told," that's a bad vibe to present.

"From the producer of..."

Hum.

"Welcome to McDonald's."

"Hi, yes, can I get a McWhatthehellever, please?"

"Ah, we're out of McHeartattacks."

"What do you have?"

"Well: From the flipper of the burgers we have a JoeLoppy."

"That doesn't sound very good."

"Yeah, they all say that."

OK I just watched both Snow White trailesr with sound on

They both look like terrible movies

Both trailers had awful scores

I like the queen from SWATH better but the Snow White from MM better

MM looks like it will be much more successful, I'm surprised that's the one coming out in March

Of course not. But Hollywood is so devoid of ideas right now all they seem to be able to do is sequels and adaptations. Currently there are two shows on network tv based on fairy tales, Once Upon A Time and Grimm, as well as a number of movies based on classic fairy tales or stories. We just had another Alice in Wonderland, and are getting another 2 versions of Wizard of Oz. Added onto the Red Ridding Hood movie and these 2 Snow White ones, I think its fair enough to say that everyone's just using fairy tales to make stuff now because they're not original enough to create their own content.

Disney differs in that he was interpreting these classics for a whole new medium for the first time and clearly created masterpieces. To say anything that I just mentioned is going to be remembered as a classic is laughable.

Of course not. But Hollywood is so devoid of ideas right now all they seem to be able to do is sequels and adaptations.

Hollywood is a returning cycle. It doesn't need to develop because the audience is always resetting itself.

Alex

I really don't think the problem is that Hollywood is devoid of ideas when it comes to what types of movies to make. Sequels, prequels, remakes, etc? They could be, and have been, great. We've watched them all our lives. The problem these days is frequently in the execution. These fairy tales could clearly be awesome flicks. But they will likely be soulless, manufactured and meritless crap.

The Wachowski brothers actually said they want to do another Matrix trilogy in 3D, and revolutionize that technology as they did with CGI.

Safe House looks like a fun Denzel action flick. The Hunger Games could be interesting. Being Flynn with De Niro and Dano could be good; and Young Adult looks like a great role for Charlize Theron.

I have to see Titanic. I don't like Avatar at all but I completely love Cameron's first four films. I saw Titanic as a kid and the only thing I remember is that I was actually scared at some point of the sinking sequence.

MM looks like it will be much more successful, I'm surprised that's the one coming out in March

Are you joking? MM looks utterly, completely awful. The movie could be decent or watchable, but the trailer isn't doing it any favors. The humor looks too juvenile to draw in adults.

I personally liked the SW&TH trailer. Looks epic, and Charlize Theron completely sells the Evil Queen role better than Horseface Roberts does. And from what I hear, the script was good enough to get fast-tracked. I did laugh at how wrong the magic mirror is about Kristen Stewart being more fairer than Charlize Theron. Theron is a goddess in human form, and I doubt Stewart will ever surpass Theron's beauty.

The worse reason you could have to make any movie is to have a pretext to advance any techonology. That way, you end up with turds like Avatar

What, like George Lucas did with Star Wars?

The combination of practical and CGI effects in Titanic are truly amazing.

Titanic was a unique production. You'll never see that kind of thing again. Such elaborate sets, the big ship off the beach being "sunk". A little bit of the CGI has always kinda stunk, namely those weird CGI people. Otherwise, it's pretty wonderful.

I agree, but I find The Matrix to be a genuinely good sic-fi film. It has the story to back up the effects, whereas Avatar does not.

Avatar is a perfect example of Hollywood's repackaging practice. 30 minutes into the movie you are thinking, "I know this".