Upcoming Films

Quintus

Nah, last time I was in there, a hair half the length of my forearm was coiled between the bun and the meat, and any sound description of the hair and the workers behind the counter would get Don Imus fired, and it will be my life's regret that I didn't raise hell. I'll never be in that corner of Virginia again but that's hardly the point, that should have been the invitation to raise a scene.

Nah, last time I was in there, a hair half the length of my forearm was coiled between the bun and the meat, and any sound description of the hair and the workers behind the counter would get Don Imus fired, and it will be my life's regret that I didn't raise hell. I'll never be in that corner of Virginia again but that's hardly the point, that should have been the invitation to raise a scene.

several years ago I had gone to a birthday party for my friend Lea. Afterwards on the way home I stopped at Arby's and got a Jamoca shake. I asked them to make me a new one because the one they gave me had what appeared to be a fly in the bottom. You could see black through the mostly white cup. they had no problem, the new one she gave me exploded when she tried to hand it too me. both the counter girl and I got covered in the shake. The cup was defective and I guess she squeezed to hard. They made me a third, didn't charge me at all. It was funny as hell. I couldn't get mad. I've had soda in cups do that before but never with a shake. I ended up taking a 2nd shower when I got home.

As a rule I don't like their food but I do love the jamoca shakes.

Oh and the fly ended up being a piece of brownie or oreo cookie.

well hell now I want a coffee flavored shake and no place around makes them.

Watched this awhile back but don't think it was ever mentioned here. Looking forward to eventually seeing this documentary:

[media=]

Oh, seconded. I don't know if this will be in my area any time soon, but I'll be keeping an eye out for it. From what I've read, Reeves seems to have taken a fairly balanced approach to the topic, even as his interviewees seem to run the gamut of extreme and moderate opinions. I'm personally a defender and lover of film, but I appreciate that the digital format is improving and certainly has many benefits. The problem lies in the corporate efforts to push film out of the picture entirely, when they both have strengths and weaknesses to be embraced and used for their own merits.

Streitenfeld is a great composer.

You go around saying things like that on a Williams-Board? Do you have no standards at all??

I said it years ago when he first started writing for Ridley, been continually defending him since.

Streitenfeld is a great composer.

Examples, examples! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZI_2N4ydfDc

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNBq-kkiUMA

Looking through all his stuff on my iTunes made me realize I never listened to The Grey, which I know Rich gave high praise too. Check out Welcome To The Riley's only if you like any of the stuff I posted above. It's a short little score in his usual style. Speaking of which, he's got a very distinct one. Could hear it immediately between A Good Year and American Gangster. He's great with combining electronics and orchestra, much like Powell, but with a much more quiet and rhythmic overtone. He's very good. I hope he finally gets to write a score for someone besides the Scott family.

After a bit standard second trailer, this third one makes me excited again:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rsuWiutfkxk&feature=player_embedded

Don officially quit the business? That's a shame - The Matrix is one of the most original scores of the last twenty years and a real masterpiece.

Yes! And even if you don't like his JP3 score, it is a work clearly done by someone who knows something about an orchestra.

Karol

There's a Jack Ryan movie in the works with Chris Pine as the titular character:

JACK-RYAN-CHRIS-PINE_510x380.jpg

It's gonna be directed by Kenneth Branagh (who is also the film's villain) and also co-starring Keira Knightley & Kevin Costner. Jack Ryan will be brought forward from his Cold War origins to post 9/11, but he is still gonna confront some nasty Russians. It will be released December 23, 2013.

Anyone know what a good Jack Ryan movie before?

there are a lot of good Jack Ryan movies.

Hunt for Red October is terrific

Sum of All our Fears is terrific

Patriot Games is so fun.

Patriot Games is so fun.

So you are the one fan.

The first one with Alec Baldwin. Avoid the others at all costs ... Harrison Ford is so unsuited (also, he's already overacting here). You constantly feel that something is not right about these movies. They don't gel.

Alex

Patriot Games is so fun.

So you are the one fan.

The first one with Alec Baldwin. Avoid the others at all costs ... Harrison Ford is so unsuited (also, he's already overacting here). You constantly feel that something is not right about these movies. They don't gel.

Alex

For nostalgia purposes and to piss you off, You're wrong.

Guillermo Del Toro's science fiction movie Pacific Rim might be more Blade Runner than you think:

http://wegotthiscove...os-pacific-rim/

Or more Iron Giant:

Alex

Seems more like a grown up Sentai/Power Rangers than anything to me.

The Hunt For Red October is my favorite Baldwin film and is great, anyone who has NOT seen it yet should. James Earl Jones, Sean Connery, Sam Neil, and Alec Baldwin, great cast and flick.

For another Jack Ryan film I too like The Sum Of All Fears.

Agreed. The vibe of the film is also fantastic, thanks in large part to Jan de Bont's superb cinematography. Basil Poledouris's score hits the necessary thriller tone, but with plenty of heart and often with a convincingly nationalistic touch. One of my favorites.

1985's Crimewave was written by the brothers and directed by Sam Raimi

Also, Gambit isn't the only 2012 movie that that brothers wrote but didn't direct - the other one is called Suburbicon and it's being directed by George Clooney

The Coen Brothers have directed 15 films. Because you didn't care for their last 3 films they've lost it, and have no chance of returning to their former glory whatsoever?

Ridley Scott and George Lucas had it? This is all news to me.

Hmm, if you don't see that they once had it (The Duellists, Alien, Blade Runner, THX- 1138, American Graffiti, Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back), then this discussion can't go anywhere. I'm not in a mood for bizarro world.

This is not what I wanted to talk about, but all right.

George Lucas is a weird individual. Of the stuff he's done that I've seen, I like the script for Empire Strikes Back and I like Star Wars, as well as his script aportations to the Indy trilogy. And that's about it.

About Rodley Scott: I like The Duellists, I love Alien since young and Blade Runner since I first saw it at 16. I heavily dislike Gladiator and was bored to death by Kingdom of Heaven at the time. And I'm basically just taking a piss thinking on Gladiator.

Francis Ford Coppola, John Schlesinger, Sidney Lumet, Lars Von Trier, Night Shyamalan, Zack Snyder (Sucker Punch)* ... Somewhere down the road they all lost it.

* Snyder might still recover though - It's perfectly possible to overcome one misstep.

Perhaps it's a good time for you to spend some time with your family, Quint.

The two I've seen are missteps for me,

That's a different discussion. Somewhere there's a person who thinks G.I. Jane is the only good movie Ridley Scott has ever made. Like I said, I'm not in a mood for bizarro world. The point is that a lot of Snyder's fans and critics were disappointed with Sucker Punch. It's his least loved (or most hated) movie.

Snyder might still recover though - It's perfectly possible to overcome one misstep.

Sucker Punch is Snyder's one misstep for you? So, you liked Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole?