Upcoming Films

Quintus

Snyder might still recover though - It's perfectly possible to overcome one misstep.

Sucker Punch is Snyder's one misstep for you? So, you liked Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole?

I always forget about that one. I don't care for animation that much, especially not when it's animation for little kids. No, to me it's not really a Snyder project.

Really, Quint? That made you laughing out loud? Ooooooooooookay.

Of course it's a Snyder project. The man has directed 5 films, and Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole is one of them.

Alex is the individual equivalent of the Academy. He makes exceptions to his own rules only when it suits him.

Besides, if Ridley Scott did 3 great films, and then 10 bad ones... did he ever have it in the first place? Wouldn't those 3 technically be the missteps?

The Coens are as brilliant as ever.

The Coens are as brilliant as ever.

Did you like Burn After Reading, A Serious Man, and True Grit as much as their pre-No Country films?

I really loved A Serious Man, and enjoyed Burn After Reading a lot. True Grit was different than what I had anticipated when I saw it in theaters, but I really liked it upon my second viewing on Blu.

They're incredibly consistent in their output. Not all of their films are as perfect as No Country For Old Men or Fargo, but they always deliver great films. I highly doubt Alex loved something like Intolerable Cruelty, so to say they lost it after No Country would again be going against his own rules.

Of course it's a Snyder project. The man has directed 5 films, and Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole is one of them.

Sure, just like Spartacus is a Kubrick project. Of course, he directed it (duh!), but it's a film he took on as a gun for hire. It's what Warner wanted. If you do this for us, Zack, we'll greenlight that Sucker Punch movie of yours. 300, Watchmen and Sucker Punch are 'his' projects. Dream projects that he personally wanted to bring to the screen for a long time.

Alex is the individual equivalent of the Academy. He makes exceptions to his own rules only when it suits him.

Please, indulge me, what are my rules?

I get what you are saying now Alex, it's the same reason I don't consider Alien 3 a David Fincher project

Now there's a director who has been pretty fucking consitent. Panic Room is his weakest effort and its still really good.

Besides, if Ridley Scott did 3 great films, and then 10 bad ones... did he ever have it in the first place?

Yes, you only need to look at his first films to know that.

Coens, Fincher, and Nolan haven't lost steam ever since they started.

Besides, if Ridley Scott did 3 great films, and then 10 bad ones... did he ever have it in the first place?

Yes, you only need to look at his first films to know that.

I'm not doubting that they're good movies, but statistically they would be labelled flukes. Scott has done a ton of films since the 70s.

Apparently once a director loses it, they can never get it back. But if Snyder lost it twice in a row, he somehow can still get it back.

First, it must be established or one must come to the realisation that the person in question has lost it or not. It's only then that they never get it back. That's the premise.

And, like I explained, the jury is out on that owl movie. Also, and I explained this too, I wouldn't know if Legend Of The Guardians is a misstep because it's an animation movie for little children. Yes, for Snyder it's a little too early to tell but it is certainly possible. Actually, I fear for Supes. It's comic book world, which Snyder knows how to do well if he follows a certain procedure*, but again, I'm afraid it won't be 'his' project. Nolan has set out the rules but he won't direct. Enter Zack Snyder, who will do it for him. This might be a good thing but we won't know untill somewhere next year.

*To bring alive the impressions 'he' felt when he read his favorite comic novels.

I'm not doubting that they're good movies, but statistically they would be labelled flukes. Scott has done a ton of films since the 70s.

People change. Perhaps at one point Scott had a different idea about movies and moviemaking. He once said in an interview that in the beginning of his career he was under the impression that as long as you do your own thing, and put your soul into it, people will follow (which is basically a typical artist's position) . He then said he was wrong about that and that film is not art but commerce. Sounds like a serious U-turn to me. For what it's worth, I know that in his first movies, the atmosphere did all the talking. There was something obsessive, almost fetish about them. It was all about design, sets, details, lighting. Maybe this was the one thing Scott really knew how to do exceptionally well. There's another big difference that separates his first films: Stanley Kubrick.

I do ask myself that question sometimes (if he ever really had it). But Scott isn't the only one who started out fine only to decline later. Look at the names I already mentioned and let's select Spielberg. I know many prefer Spielberg's '70s output over his 'recent' output. Even here, I've read many comments that his style has changed and that people no longer connect with his films as they used to do. Francis Ford Coppola. Everybody keeps mentioning his '70s output. The Godfather, Apocalypse Now, ... His later movies don't seem to matter that much. Sidney Lumet will be remembered for early movies, not his later ones. I don't think there is one reason, one cause, that explaines it all. I only know that the 'burnout' phenomenon exists.

Alex

Btw Spielberg has not "lost" anything. He just went off the boil for a while. Looking at his résumé, it's allowed. Tintin was pretty much a return to the form he's universally adored for.

I'm still suprised that the Tintin film actually exists, and it's done by these particular people, and it was done in that particular way. :blink: And yes it would be pure Spielberg and something he'd wanted to do for ages. Munich is a badass film too!

Btw Spielberg has not "lost" anything. He just went off the boil for a while. Looking at his résumé, it's allowed. Tintin was pretty much a return to the form he's universally adored for.

But it's an animated movie for kids, so it doesn't count!

Tintin is what the last Indy film should have been.

A shame it didn't make quite the splash it could have. It really is a classic Spielberg adventure.

Why can't I what? Oh, like or dislike animation for kids? I guess that's because I'm not a kid. I tend to rate according to my emotional reaction. If I were to rate the Teletubbies, I would flunk it big time, so I don't bother rating it at all.

Alex

Oh, I can picture the post you would have written if you had seen it as a kid: "Teletubbies were all about atmosphere. The design, the lighting, the set, the details... There was something obsessive, almost fetish about them"

Dreamworks Animation and Fox have announced a slew of new release dates for future films (most announced as Paramount-distributed films like Croods next year onwards will stay the same).

Mr. Peabody & Sherman - November 1, 2013

Happy Smekday! - November 26, 2014

Me and My Shadow - March 14, 2014

Penguins of Madagascar - March 27, 2015

Trolls - June 5, 2015

B.O.O. - Bureau of Otherworldly Operations - November 6, 2015

Mumbai Musical (working title) - December 19, 2015

Kung Fu Panda 3 - March 18, 2016

How to Train Your Dragon 3 - June 18, 2016

Another movie I'm very surprised about after a seriously uninteresting trailer is Bruce Willis' Looper, which has turned out to be getting excellent 5 star reviews all over the place. I guess I'll check it out after all.

Another movie I'm very surprised about after a seriously uninteresting trailer is Bruce Willis' Looper, which has turned out to be getting excellent 5 star reviews all over the place. I guess I'll check it out after all.

Yeah, that too.

Ben Affleck's Argo is another one which is getting some very good praise.

Dredd surprisingly is at something like 95% at RT with 50 or so reviews. I think it's already in wide release in the UK?

Of course then there's also The Master.

And Cloud Atlas, which could be the most divisive movie of the year.

Interesting month ahead, judging by the reviews.

Pity only Looper will be making it onto my shores.

The trailer was awesome!

It just looked like the usual high octane high concept dreary executionathon to me.

But I'll definitely be seeing it at some point now, since I'd hate to miss out on any potential greatness, being exceedingly rare and unlikely to discover that it is.

It just looked like the usual high octane high concept dreary executionathon to me.

But I'll definitely be seeing it at some point now, since I'd hate to miss out on any potential greatness, being exceedingly rare and unlikely to discover that it is.

I see what you mean, and the dubstep music doesn't help. It's trying to sell to a wide audience, even billing Willis before JGL, who's the main character really. It's Rian Johnson, which means it won't be your run-of-the-mill Hollywood action flick. If the name doesn't ring a bell, go see Brick and The Brothers Bloom right now.

Unfortunately what I've heard of the score isn't good. If people think Hans Zimmer is noise, they might go deaf from this.

Clip from Smashed. The rather short trailer spins it like a comedy of sorts, but this is giving off an entirely different vibe. Could Mary Elizabeth Winstead be blossoming into a full-fledged actress? It seems like yesterday that she was just eye-candy in Death Proof.

[media=]

Also Penn's latest:

Can't wait for Rush this time next year. Howard has attracted quite a varied and talented cast for what on the surface appears to be quite a low profile film. It's a story which I feel will play out well on screen though, especially with what I expect to be quite a different Zimmer score than we've been used to of late. I'm guessing now that he's going to go with a small ensemble for the whole score.

Could Mary Elizabeth Winstead be blossoming into a full-fledged actress? It seems like yesterday that she was just eye-candy in Death Proof.

Even though the new version of The Thing wasn't particularly good, I definitely thought she did a good job in it.