Upcoming Films

Quintus

More and more directors and actors believe that streaming services like Netflix are the new platform for movies that are not about superheroes or that are big franchises. Martin Scorsese, The Coen Brothers, Guillermo Del Toro, Alphonso Cuaron already embraced the movie platform of the future and it won't be long before David Lynch will be making Original Netflix movies as well. You'll see!

In my opion, every attempt to put down the new movie platform of the future is nothing more than a plea for big franchises and superhero movies. Don't worry, that won't go away any time soon. Netflix is there to save the movie genres that theatres no longer want.

2 hours ago, dougie said:

Movies are meant for the cinema, not your phone line!

Drax, that's one of the most agreeable things you've posted that I've seen, in my opinion.

Breaking Bad was shot entirely on film but it doesn't really show. Force Awakens looks digital as well.

Buster Scruggs is digital and looks amazing. And westerns on digital don't usually work.

What makes the difference is not so much the material itself but the lab process it goes through. 

10 minutes ago, Muad'Dib said:

What makes the difference is not so much the material itself but the lab process it goes through. 

Digital goes through a lab process?

17 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The resolution they shoot digital movies in is still not as good as 35mm film, even when they claim it is.

You mean to say the resolution is not as high?

As I understand it, you cannot directly compare resolution between digital and film. 

Each have their own advantages and disadvantages anyway.

Of course I have, but image sharpness is not directly related to imagine resolution at all, which is what you seem to be implying.

There's no one on way way to directly compare film and digital without taking a lot of other important factors into account. For example the type and quality of film stock, and the type of camera and lenses used to shot the comparing images.

26 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Have you not heard of image sharpness?

maxresdefault.jpg

"If sharpness is all you care about, then that's what you'll receive with digital film."

Princess Leia is right! Digital is sharper than film.

8 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Princess Leia is right! Digital is sharper than film.

Again it depends. I certainly think digital is sharper than those 80's/90's Merchant Ivory films that use grainy, inexpensive film stock.

With digital, I can count the branches and leaves of the trees far away in the background. I could never do that with film. 

Cinematographers say they have to dial back the sharpness otherwise it's just too much. 

Just now, Alexcremers said:

With digital, I can count the branches and leaves of the trees far away in the background. I could never do that with film. 

True, but is that a direct result of the digital medium? Or because of the imagine enhancement that has taken place after the fact?

Yes. 35mm film might have a higher resolution then digital, but it also has certain properties that work against image sharpness and clarity.

I saw the "unrestored" 2001 in the cinema last year, taken straight from the original negative and it looked a bit unsharp. 

You could also say digital tends to look too sharp, too clear and too bright and colourful though these days. But that probably also has more to do with trends in digital grading. Everything gets tuned too 11.