Upcoming Films

Quintus

Finally, Elsa will run across the ocean to Africa using her magical ice powers to reunite with her long lost brother Tarzan, confirming the conspiracy theory!

Seriously, I also approve. Visuals are looking up. Not sure about the storyline, but Disney can frolick around in Frozen for a bit longer. Maybe they do a trilogy. They certainly do have a head of steam after the first one.

Here's hoping Christophe Beck returns! If it does end up being a trilogy of sorts, it'd be nice to see him follow it through.

7 hours ago, crumbs said:

I'll see almost anything Boyle, Slumdog is probably one of my favourite movies.

He seems to be pumping out movies bloody fast these days though. Feels like this, Trainspotting 2 and Steve Jobs were all in the last year or so (not to mention working on Bond, which obviously fell through).

Boyle has directed a movie every 2-3 years for his entire career...

On 2/12/2019 at 1:38 PM, mrbellamy said:

One of my favorite movie ideas in a long time

This is actually a very interesting premise.  This may be the first time a trailer has made me want to see a movie.

On 2/13/2019 at 7:29 PM, Faleel J.M. said:

Only thing is, wouldn't music have developed differently as well?

It would have developed extremely differently.  If this were pure real life.  This movie can only work if it doesn't take itself overly seriously, and blissfully and somehow profoundly walks that fine line between the real and the unreal, something like John Hughes did at times.  And Ramis and Rubin in Groundhog Day for that matter.

Based on the trailer, Boyle seems to be on the right track.  Also, it seems to be implied that Paul and Ringo are having the inverse problem in the movie, knowing that they wrote the music but having nobody know who they are.  I fully expect them to cameo.    

Yeah, Groundhog Day was what I thought. 

I enjoy Richard Curtis, though, and About Time was maybe his best one yet, another magic realism premise which he got a ton of comic and emotional mileage out of. Plus Boyle’s energy as a director kicking up Beatlemania around some schmo. It looks so fun.

Does Spielberg consider Roma to be cinema? Or is it only movies that receive an actual theatrical release he considers to be true films?

I love the guy but his stance on this matter is decidedly puzzling.

In all honesty, yes, theatres are getting more and more expensive it seems. There's the price of admission ($15 Canadian), and then there's the concession stand, which normally seems to nip at the wallet the most, especially for groups or pairs of movie goers. Nonetheless, I don't think that the magic of seeing a movie in theatres can ever be erased, and I will almost always prefer the big screen to the much smaller one at home. I believe we've already discussed how some films are best watched at home and others in theatres. It was a wonderful discussion if you can track it down somewhere on the forums. 

Whether or not a movie receives a theatrical release does not determine whether or not it is at all a movie, or even how good of a movie it is. So if that's the case of this point, I do not agree with Spielberg in that sense.

I do, however, believe that the theatre is where movies are meant to be watched, and with streaming services at large it feels like people are gradually gravitating towards them more. So there are a number of offshooting discussion points to be had with this comment.

No, not at all. 

You learn the craft, gain experience before doing a full movie.

Spielberg cut his teeth in TV for years before moving to the big pictures. I'm sure it helped him.

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I do, however, believe that the theatre is where movies are meant to be watched ...

You could say the same about music but I never had a problem listening to music on my own, quite the contrary.

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Non sequitur! A recording can also sound bad.

Not as much as 'live', where you can't control everything. See, that is the beauty of studio recordings, to have control over everything and to redo things until they are perfect. Recordings are meant to be the perfect representation, sound and performance wise.

I don't want to watch Titanic, Ghostbusters II or the Star Trek series in a dark chamber with a bunch of strange people. I don't even like people. I want to watch them alone naked after I've shaved my legs. Get back to doing what you do best these days, Spielberg. Introducing the E.T. ride at Universal Studios.

On 2/18/2019 at 8:30 AM, Stefancos said:

Seeing a movie in the cinema is a completely different experience then watching it at home. 

I agree with Spielberg!

Here is my take: watching a movie on your laptop or tablet with earphones or headphones in a darkened room is a far more immersive experience than watching it on TV.

It's not completely equivalent to watching in a theater, you have to give up a good deal of the scope, some of the texture maybe, and whatever dubious benefits the communal aspect brings ( I don't like crowds), but it might be more ideal in the sense that the film is being communicated directly to you, almost as if you are reading a novel.  

9 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Err... no. 

Do elaborate.

To clarify my position a little bit, I do believe that to be considered "cinema," a film must be created for the medium of the theater.

I just think that the streaming or internet medium is better suited for cinematic film than TV is.  Something made specifically for Netflix can take advantage, as well, of the unique characteristics of this medium.

2 hours ago, SteveMc said:

Here is my take: watching a movie on your laptop or tablet with earphones or headphones in a darkened room is a far more immersive experience than watching it on TV.

It's not completely equivalent to watching in a theater, you have to give up a good deal of the scope, some of the texture maybe, and whatever dubious benefits the communal aspect brings ( I don't like crowds), but it might be more ideal in the sense that the film is being communicated directly to you, almost as if you are reading a novel.  

Im sorry but I have to laugh. Watching a film with headphones on a laptop is not a complete equivalent, nothing in the definition is even remotely accurate. Ridiculous comparison. 

Some movies are best viewed in theatres.

Others may simply be better for television.

Overall, an individual one-on-one viewing of a movie on a mobile device can be good for a fair bit of content.

There is no one size fits all; not every movie is best viewed in a single format. And even if a film is best, say, in theatres, some may have a better connection to it through the other ways listed.

It's all relative. 

10 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Watching a film with headphones on a laptop is not a complete equivalent

I said above that it is not a complete equivalent.  I just said it was more direct than television, and, in terms of imersiveness, closer to the intent of cinema.

7 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Some movies are best viewed in theatres.

Others may simply be better for television.

Overall, an individual one-on-one viewing of a movie on a mobile device can be good for a fair bit of content.

There is no one size fits all; not every movie is best viewed in a single format. And even if a film is best, say, in theatres, some may have a better connection to it through the other ways listed.

It's all relative. 

Never is a laptop viewing of a film any equivalent to a theatrical experience. It is a convenience nothing more. 

It's like Captain EO at Disney Land, which featured 3D glasses, lasers, smoke and moving seats synchronized to the video when they brought it back. It made it feel like you were in the movie with Michael Jackson, even dancing.

6 hours ago, SteveMc said:

I don't understand this post. Watching movies on a tablet is more immersive than on a TV?! That's completely bonkers! Looking at something on a computer screen or laptop feels like you're working on a computer, there's nothing immersive about it. Indeed, the next step would be watching movies on a wrist watch. I guess it must be a generation thing ... 

Absolutely! I explained why.

Also, since I don't associate TV with work (like I do with computer screens or laptops), I don't see the problem. 

Do you associate tablets and wrist watches with movies? 

Then there's the issue of image quality. I don't like the way movies look on a computer screen, which is designed for static images.