Upcoming Films

Quintus

One of the more rewarding horror films in recent years, that one. Better than most other hailed "modern horror masterpieces" these days.

And no jump scares! They accomplished a spooky romp without having to startle you into shitting your pants every two minutes. Of course, some of my geek mates on Facebook despised it for that very reason. I fear the industry will continue to listen to them more.

Yea, it gets to you in other ways. I remember feeling sick during the car accident scene. Watching him just quietly sneak in bed, pretending as if nothing happened...that's the stuff of real nightmares.

And even some of my friends were turned off by it. I guess it's because it has you on the edge of your sit for the whole film, but rarely, if ever, offers release for that tension, which is what pop-up scares are designed to do.

7 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Most of the horror lies in the drama, which is more horrifying than meaningless jump scares.

Sort of reminded me of Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me for that reason. The plot had some similarities regarding the possession stuff too.

What most people want is actually nothing more than amusement park horror. It's a kind of horror that is safe because it never feels real. You know it's just a ride. Like KK says, watching the action or reaction of the brother makes you understand that this is not one of those 'attractions'. 

I was a bit lost about where the sister's body was found. Was she still in the car or did the brother put her to bed? I was also surprised how he wasn't made to face a judge over the incident, especially since he was obviously high at the time.

Crosspost from the Tolkien sub-forum:

Looks somewhat bland, not so much the concept but the execution, but that might just as well be only the trailer's fault. I certainly don't mind the imagery of WW1 and other events being obvious parallels to Tolkien's writing, as that seems to be pretty accurate. Shame Colm Meaney doesn't show up in the trailer, but at least Derek Jacobi does.

I rather feel George Fenton should have scored this one.

Looking forward to Us next week, Pet Sematary in April, and It Chapter 2 on September 6th. 

I somehow missed the trailer of US  (from the director of Get Out) and so I only saw it yesterday. 

Rotten Tomatoes: 100% 😳

One of the best trailers for a horror film in a long time.

Interesting that the two best received horror films in the last couple years came from TV funny men.

Did I claim the opposite? 

BTW, I checked my history on youtube, and apparently I actually watched a review (with or without sound, I don't remember) which is basically some guy talking over the footage of the trailer. In that video, the name or 'the director of Get Out' doesn't appear. The point is that I recognized the style before I knew who the director was. Do you want me to post that video so you can check if I'm talking the truth, Koray?

56 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Interesting that the two best received horror films in the last couple years came from TV funny men.

Comedians are dark souls.

7 hours ago, Alexcremers said:

Did I claim the opposite? 

BTW, I checked my history on youtube, and apparently I actually watched a review (with or without sound, I don't remember) which is basically some guy talking over the footage of the trailer. In that video, the name or 'the director of Get Out' doesn't appear. The point is that I recognized the style before I knew who the director was. Do you want me to post that video so you can check if I'm talking the truth, Koray?

Yes please. 

45 minutes ago, Romão said:

No reference whatsoever to the Manson killings, although I still assume they will be play a big part in the movie

Charles Manson is in the trailer:

Screen Shot 2019-03-20 at 16.16.31.png

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

As for TOY STORY 4, it looks far more involving and appealing than 3 could ever be.

Really? Screams rehash to me.