Upcoming Films

Quintus

Because the movie gods love to punish the unsuspecting masses.

Why else would we be on another Fast & Furious film, other than to try and salvage what's left of Vin Diesel's career?

So if the original cast reunites to make Ghostbusters 3, but feature only as advisors to a younger crew of 'Busters, it'll basically be the mid-90s cartoon series turned into a movie. Hoo. Ray.

I want them to remake Star Wars with Scarlett Johannson as Princess Leia. Only please don't tape them down, please don't tape them down.

Well, as little as I care to see the first two Ghostbusters potentially trashed as well, it still beats being subjected to a third Men in Black (MIIIB?).

Apparently another Fast & Furious was what audiences wanted..... $72 million opening.

I know, will it still have it's legs next weekend?

I saw Monsters Vs Aliens over the weekend in 3D, and all 4 trailers shown before the film where also in 3D. I had no idea so many 3D films were coming out!

The trailers were:

Up (Looks so good!)

Ice Age 3 (meh)

Battle For Terra (I had never heard of this movie at all, but it looked very interesting)

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs (I fondly remember this book from my childhood.... movie appears to have very little to do with it though)

Cloudy With A Chance Of Meatballs

They are making this a film!? I would imagine some creative liberties will be taken....

Regarding what will probably be called MIIIB:

Well, if it has Danny Elfman, I may accept the film's existence.

Wow, this film is finally getting made. It was almost in KOTCS territory, Lucas kept talking about it for years but nothing ever happened.

Okay, I am going to be honest, I am really looking forward to this. This is the first non-franchise film by Lucas since...when, the mid-1980's? I know I am being too optimistic, but do you think John Williams will score it?

No. Lucas is not directing the movie, and it is not a pre-established series like Star Wars. If Lucas produced something and left somebody else to direct (other than Empire and Jedi), the director selected the composer, such as Ron Howard using James Horner for Willow. Lalo Schifrin scored THX-1138, but American Graffiti completely used 1950s songs as the musical tapestry, rather than instrumental score. Other than that, Lucas hasn't really directed anything big.

No. Lucas is not directing the movie, and it is not a pre-established series like Star Wars. If Lucas produced something and left somebody else to direct (other than Empire and Jedi), the director selected the composer, such as Ron Howard using James Horner for Willow. Lalo Schifrin scored THX-1138, but American Graffiti completely used 1950s songs as the musical tapestry, rather than instrumental score. Other than that, Lucas hasn't really directed anything big.

Theoretically, I don't see why not. I don't think it'll happen because of Lucas' involvement in cutting up JW's work, but I think the example of it being a different director has little to no bearing at all. The director could, y'know, want JW himself.

That's true. Maybe Lucas could throw enough money at Williams, and offer encouraging bits like "but I'm not directing or editing this movie, I love your music, Johnny, so it'll be another editor and director who cut up your music and splice your pivotally emotional music around at the last minute for the final battle sequence" to entice him out of retirement.

John Williams is probably the best composer left alive in the movie business, so if you want that old-style movie sound for this WWII epic, there is nobody better for the job.

Total Film magazine has just directed me to a trailer for a new sci-fi film starring Sam Rockwell called Moon. Has anyone heard of it? Apparently it is superb.

The trailer can be found

This has just gone straight to the top of my must see list.

EDIT: I see Koray beat me to it by 3mins.

I'd be surprised if Williams scored it, he's never done anything Lucas besides SW and Indy. It'd be nice, though.

That's rather ironical, you know, you are saying Williams has 'only' scored 10 out of 15 Lucasfilm's feature films. that's two thirds...

So, the odds favor that Williams scores the movie, but after the prequels, i dont think Williams would work with Lucas again.

Anyone noticed that David Koepp is the screenwriter for Angels and Demons? Will he pull a Jurassic Park or a Crystal Skull this time?

• 2 weeks later...

Michael Bay is to make ThunderCats

EDIT: Due to the kindergarten rules of this board, I've had to change the link url slightly in order to make it work. Scroll down a bit, sorry.

Original and proper link here, just so you can see how stupid this place can be.

Basically, the cute little rules of this board ruined the joke. FAIL.

Michael Bay is to make ThunderCats

This board's language filter FAIL

it turned the f bomb in the URL into "eff"

Why do we need the language filter, again?

If ever there was a reason to bin it then this is it. I've changed the link (under force) so that you can find the story. Just scroll down a bit.

Seriously, we're all big boys on here. The F word filter is a joke. In fact I find it offensive, and very little offends me.

My favorite part of the article:

"Ever since I failed to ruin Scarlett Johansson's career with The Island, I've been looking for a challenge like this," Bay said. "Who knows? With Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen and ThunderCats coming out in the same year, I may finally reach my goal of making all of America hate cinema forever."

I was under the impression that The Onion reported satire, though....

More on LOVELY BONES from the 20th Empire issue, direct from PJ:

"The movie has been finished for quite a while, and it was always going to be released after Watchmen in March 2009. Then we screened it to the studios (DreamWorks and Paramount) and they started talking about holding it back for awards season. I so hate that term, but it's now set for a December release."

He confirms with the delay in release, he has gone back and tweaked a few effects shots.

I haven't read the book or anything, but for some reason I didn't think this was the kind of movie that had special effects?

Grr. I had a whole long post written and then Firefox died on me. I just think it's a weird choice. PREDATOR is a very well-made film, with an iconic creature and a sequel that's better than a lot. The problem isn't the franchise, it's that it's either been given over to pooty directors (Paul Anderson, The Strausse Bros) who have just essentially remade the films, or turned them into mini-kaijus. Fox has been squeezing blood out of the Alien franchise since RESURRECTION, and all the films since then (that one included) have been terrible, although I'm wondering if Fox would have the balls to reboot Alien.

I wonder who the protagonist will be? The first one had Arnold Schwarzenegger in a truly iconic action role, the second one had Danny Glover in a nice (if cliched) action role, but this new one?(Sighs)...probably Christian Bale....