• Die Hard;
  • Family Guy;
  • The Simpsons;
  • Futurama;
  • The X-Files;
  • Home Alone;
  • The Beatles;
  • Your soul (coming soon...)

Disney doesn't own The Beatles until they get the Anthology and the 60s movies up on Disney+

Granted Disney did buy ABC around the time they originally broadcast the Anthology documentary so maybe that already counts.

I hate everything. 

On 19/04/2024 at 6:53 AM, Tallguy said:

To me the last Big Star that we've had (and yes, I know I'm picking guys) was Matt Damon. We don't have many (any?) traditional Leading Men anymore. Henry Cavil might be getting there. But he's kind of a weird case. None of the Chrises (Pratt, Pine, Evans) seem to be able to open a movie.

Kind of funny looking back that 1997 crystallized three major male movie stars with Matt Damon (Good Will Hunting), Leonardo DiCaprio (Titanic), and Will Smith (Men in Black; I know ID4 had already happened in 1996). DiCaprio is kind of the only one who still checks every box today and even he couldn't make Killers of the Flower Moon a blockbuster. Which wasn't entirely out of the question after The Revenant and his previous Scorsese collabs. 

Since then you do kind of have to put asterisks by most who have emerged as leading man material. They always fall short in some area, but of course we do have guys like Ryan Gosling and Joaquin Phoenix who can carry films. But they need a lot of extra help to make unqualified hits, whereas nobody but Leo could have gotten The Wolf of Wall Street and especially The Revenant into the hundreds of millions, $533 million is still insane for that movie. Dwayne Johnson has done a good job branding himself and he did have consistency on his side but Black Adam was embarrassing and nobody thinks he's a great actor.

Right now if anybody can keep it up I guess it'll be Timothee Chalamet. I'm still not really getting the sense that Glen Powell is lighting hearts on fire.

18 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Right now if anybody can keep it up I guess it'll be Timothee Chalamet.

Agreed.

18 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

I'm still not really getting the sense that Glen Powell is lighting hearts on fire.

I just feel like someone "important" wants him to.

We watched The Breakfast Club last night. It was remarkable to think that every one of those five kids seemed to be on the cusp of superstardom and none of them really made it.